Who Makes the Best LRVs?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who makes the best LRVs?

• Breda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CAF

• Kawasaki

• Alstom

• Nippon-Sharyo

• Total voters
You are however missing Nippon Sharyo, they made some LRCs for LACMTA; and probably some stuff for other countries.

peter

Not to mention Kinki Sharyo, AnsaldoBread (only in Europe), and probably some others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Missing are:

United Streetcar LLC

Tatra

Skoda

Also i wonder what is the basis for people to choose one over the other here? Warm and fuzzy feeling from reading newspapers? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Missing are:

United Streetcar LLC

Tatra

Skoda

Also i wonder what is the basis for people to choose one over the other here? Warm and fuzzy feeling from reading newspapers? ;)
Stadler is also missing

I know Tatra and Skoda, but chose not to list them due to them not operating in US fleets. Admittedly, I don't know United Streetcar and Stadler.

My basis voting for Siemens is that I find them more comfortable than the other manufacturers' products.

Where Boeing-Vertol?
It is now the Mobility Division of Boeing Military Aircraft, a division of Boeing Defense, Space & Security. They have been out of the rail vehicle business now for a long long time. :)
I understand that. And my familiarity with them is from their absolute junk they made for San Francisco's MUNI system. The irony was that the replacements from Breda were supposed to be leaps and bounds better and more reliable, but were plagued with way too many problems of their own. Reliability is certainly one thing that may not be apparent to the occasional user, but the jerky acceleration and braking is something that anyone will immediately notice.

They're getting getting their newest cars from Siemens.

And the street car is not the same as MAX

They use a combination of those and USA streetcar clones on the streetcar network

Siemens is good. Stadler's good too. Skoda is good. Bombardier *used to be* good but isn't any more. Kawasaki is OK. There are some other Japanese manufacturers missing from the list.

Back