Which way for a Roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Traingeek

Train Attendant
Thinking about taking the 30% offer to get enough points to do Coach from BAL-ORL one way and Roomette the other way. Which way would be the best use of the points for a Roomette? The way there or the way back? I can't buy 18,000 points to get the roomette both ways.

Thinking about taking the 30% offer to get enough points to do Coach from BAL-ORL one way and Roomette the other way. Which way would be the best use of the points for a Roomette? The way there or the way back? I can't buy 18,000 points to get the roomette both ways.
I'd take the roomette for the return trip - and arrive back home well rested and happy.

There may be many other considerations but that's the first thing I thought of...

Are you doing the Meteor or Star? The reason I ask is that under the normal schedule:

-Southbound, you'll get dinner and breakfast on both (and probably lunch on the Meteor).

-Northbound, you'll get dinner, breakfast, and lunch on the Star; on the Meteor, you may get lunch; you'll get dinner, and breakfast is a maybe (the train is often early post-WAS, and the diner doesn't usually open up until you get out of WAS). On the Variable Star (i.e. the tweaked schedule over the next few weeks), you'll get dinner and breakfast.

All of this assumes an on-time train, of course. Given the choice, I'd say do the roomette SB if you're on the Meteor or Variable Star coming home (assuming that you can crash when you get home); if you're on the regular Star, it's more of a toss-up IMHO.

Depends on what you want. For example, do you want more roomette time or more Florida time?

If it were me:

I'd get the roomette on #97 - The Meteor, departing BAL at 6:17PM, you'd get dinner, breakfast and an early, fast lunch included with your roomette before arriving in ORL at 12:55PM - for an 18H,38M duration. Then take #92 back, leaving ORL at 7:24 PM and arriving in BAL at 4:15PM - a 20H,51M duration.

Yes it is less roomette time, but the evening ORL departure is nice, and you'd ride both Silvers.

But IMHO, it really is a personal choice.

Are you doing the Meteor or Star? The reason I ask is that under the normal schedule:

-Southbound, you'll get dinner and breakfast on both (and probably lunch on the Meteor).

-Northbound, you'll get dinner, breakfast, and lunch on the Star; on the Meteor, you may get lunch; you'll get dinner, and breakfast is a maybe (the train is often early post-WAS, and the diner doesn't usually open up until you get out of WAS). On the Variable Star (i.e. the tweaked schedule over the next few weeks), you'll get dinner and breakfast.

All of this assumes an on-time train, of course. Given the choice, I'd say do the roomette SB if you're on the Meteor or Variable Star coming home (assuming that you can crash when you get home); if you're on the regular Star, it's more of a toss-up IMHO.
Probably the Star due to the early arrival in Florida and the late departure from there. I won't be doing this until around July 4th, so the changed schedule shouldn't affect me.

You could also go to the AGR point page & do some shopping. At anywhere from 3-12 points earned per dollar spent, you could accumulate enough points to get the roomette both ways pretty quickly. Even better, sign up for the AGR credit card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back