Which train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure where to post this and maybe the admins will kind enough to "route" it to the right group:)

I was in basic training at Ft Jackson SC from July-Sep 1974 and when I graduated we were put on a train from Columbia, SC to Washington, DC. Can anyone possibly tell me which train I was on back then? Was it Amtrak? I know that the Silver Service/Palmetto runs that route now.

Thanks for your help!

P.S. I'm taking the Crescent to DC next week! Can't wait!

That particular service would not have changed too drastrically. You were probably on the Silver Star. That was already Amtrak then--Amtrak came into existence in 1971.

Before that it would have been Seaboard Coast Line. You may have seen Seaboard Coastline and other railroad equipment on the train, that was before Amtrak had built any distinctive long distance equipment of its own. It was still running that which had been inherited from the old railroads.

And before all that, Seaboard Coast Line was a merger between the Seaboard and the Atlantic COast Line, all names you could still have seen back then.

Enjoy your trip on the Crescent!!

As an interesting side note, the annual Ft. Jackson Exodus still operates right before Christmas. Amtrak adds extra equipment as almost everyone leave sFt. Jackson for the Holidays - troops go either north or south and return after New Years.

It is a good piece of business for Amtrak and is organized by Marketing, Operations, the travel agency on Ft. Jackson and the Ft. personnel.

Thanks for the info, Mr. Haithcoat! I knew about Seaboard, not much about Atlantic. I'm from Southern country and knew that Amtrak had bought them.

And thanks for the side note, haolerider! I was aware of the annual Exodus from Aberdeen PG at BWI and Baltimore Penn, having participated twice during training there. It seems I was always in training in MD during the holidays! :) Was at Ft Belvoir (my destination from SC) during Thanksgiving!

Thanks Y'all :)

Glad to see some en mass military use of trains still happening.

Used to happen a lot, of course. I can recall as a kid military movements sometimes being seated in the diner first, regular passengers later. I resented it then---I understand it today.

haolerider said:
As an interesting side note, the annual Ft. Jackson Exodus still operates right before Christmas.  Amtrak adds extra equipment as almost everyone leaves Ft. Jackson for the Holidays - troops go either north or south and return after New Years.It is a good piece of business for Amtrak and is organized by Marketing, Operations, the travel agency on Ft. Jackson and the Ft. personnel.
I rode that train in 1985, on my way home after BCT. Nice ride (I seem to recall they were Amfleet IIs with legrests), and a well-stocked bar (beer only, no booze). There were probably about 20 coaches, and a lounge car, maybe two.

Only bummer that year was we hit a dump truck at a grade crossing in NC. Delayed us by three hours. Amtrak was good enough to hold the Capitol Limited for us to connect at WAS.

I ended up getting of good ol' #29 in McKeesport, PA, about 2:30a. To my immense surprise, there was a motel within walking distance of the PAT station! Within minutes I had blown some saved-up military pay on a room and soaking in the first hot bath I took in 10 weeks or so. After cold showers, it was a real treat.

About 10:00a that morning, I called my folks and got a ride home. Quite a time.

Back