Which station is better Millennium Station or Van Buren St?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to take Amtrak Cardinal to Union Station. Then I will walk one mile to South Shore Train at Millennium Station or Van Buren St. I would like to know which station is better for me to catch train. I just looked at You Tube. I think Van Buren is pretty and old. Do they have cafe or resturant there. I know Millennium have Subway and few resturant there. I guess it will be fun to watch train move and stop before I go on train. I haven't seen South Shore Train since 1985 on orange train. Thanks

Dave

Van Buren Doesn't have a cafe or anything besides maybe a vending machine; however the tracks are in a cut so if your in Grant Park you can look down onto them.

Millennium has a whole mall attached to it; however the tracks are on a lower level so sitting and watching doesn't really work there (even the waiting room is above the trains).

As for which is better... Millennium will be quicker to get to; but Van Buren offers the better train watching.

peter

Van Buren Doesn't have a cafe or anything besides maybe a vending machine; however the tracks are in a cut so if your in Grant Park you can look down onto them.

Millennium has a whole mall attached to it; however the tracks are on a lower level so sitting and watching doesn't really work there (even the waiting room is above the trains).

As for which is better... Millennium will be quicker to get to; but Van Buren offers the better train watching.

peter
One benefit of Millennium is it will be easy to get a seat and you can pick a window seat if you would like. On really busy trains, finding a seat even at Van Buren can be kind of difficult. Of course every time I travel I sit in the first two cars because those are the only ones that go to Michigan City and South Bend and those cars can get busy.

Back