which direction of travel on the chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which way on the chief?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have done both directions several times and I guess I would give a slight edge to the westbound. You will see a little of Arizona going eastbound in the summer months. Usually a little more time in ABQ going eastbound as train sometimes runs early. But as mentioned, if train is running late you might miss some of Raton Pass, whereby westbound you would nearly always be going through there in daylight hours. Have a great trip! :D
So pretty much, there is no difference between the 2 directions as long as if they are on time? Hmmm, then it is which is the most climactic vs anticlimactic. Just a quick thought, do you see Kansas (west) going westbound.

Have done both directions several times and I guess I would give a slight edge to the westbound. You will see a little of Arizona going eastbound in the summer months. Usually a little more time in ABQ going eastbound as train sometimes runs early. But as mentioned, if train is running late you might miss some of Raton Pass, whereby westbound you would nearly always be going through there in daylight hours. Have a great trip! :D
So pretty much, there is no difference between the 2 directions as long as if they are on time? Hmmm, then it is which is the most climactic vs anticlimactic. Just a quick thought, do you see Kansas (west) going westbound.
Nope, it's dark when the Chief Leaves Kansas City heading West!(not that theres' really anything to see! :giggle: ) But you willl FEEL Western Kansas, Roughest Tracks in the whole System! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing to see, but from what I remember in 06, I awoke at the Garden City station on-time at 6:00am, and the sun was already up (since this was near the solstice).

I took both directions on SWC and don't remember any difference.

I could see same places both directions.

I guess eastbound was even better because we were crossing mountains

after leaving Los Angeles. That was at the dinner time, a little dark, but still spectacular.

But that was in beginning of July (one of the longest days).

You don't see those mountains riding westbound unless you wake up at around 4:30am.

How about Arizona? Don't you see more Arizona eastbound? Besides Arizona, I agree westbound is probably better.
Just completed a w/b trip on the Chief from RAT to FLG. It is dark from Winslow west to the LA basin. On the e/b, from WLO to the other side of Raton Pass into LAJ will be daylight. IMHO, the scenery between ABQ and LAJ is the best on the SWC. My vote would be eastbound But you get a daylight Raton Pass (if on-time) in either direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back