Where's the staffed San Francisco Ferry Building area?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCL

Engineer
I've taken one Amtrak thruway bus to the SFC stop before. Of course I noticed the sign that the curb was only for Amtrak buses, but I understand there's baggage service, a Quk-Trak kiosk, a waiting room, and a ticket counter. I went through the Ferry Building but didn't see where Amtrak was set up other than the bus stop.

It is located in a separate building just to the south of the actual Ferry Building.
The entrance to the waiting room / ticket office is on the back side of the building. There are signs. Go to the Amtrak bus stop sign on the Embarcadero, face the bay, the building to the right is the one. Follow the signs. Go to maps google and find it so you will know what the place looks like

I used work summers in San Francisco and remember the big Amtrak sign at the old Transbay (bus) terminal. For some reason I used to think there were tracks underground but later realized it was used for connecting buses. I think they had services there.

I wonder if the plans are for Amtrsk to return there once the new Transbay Terminal is ready.

I used work summers in San Francisco and remember the big Amtrak sign at the old Transbay (bus) terminal. For some reason I used to think there were tracks underground but later realized it was used for connecting buses. I think they had services there.
I wonder if the plans are for Amtrsk to return there once the new Transbay Terminal is ready.
Yes, there are plans for at least Thruway buses at the new Transbay Terminal - see this link at the project website:

http://transbaycenter.org/project/program-overviewhttp://transbaycenter.org/project/program-overview. Scheduled complettion is 2017.

Among the many service providers is Amtrak. Amtrak served the original Transbay Terminal until sometime in the 90's when the homeless population there got to be too much for passengers, and they relocated to the Ferry Bldg (originally the north side of the actual Ferry Building, now in the former "Agriculture Building" to the south), which also coincided with the start of the Capital Corridor service.

As for Amtrak trains (such as the long discussed Coast Daylight) into the terminal when the extension and electricification of Caltrain and HSR is complete (2019), I wouldn't count on it. There is a much longer term idea of a second transbay tube to bring trains from the East Bay, but would probably be more Bay Area regional trains rather than, say, the Zephyr.

Found a couple of photos. I think I've seen this building from the street (didn't know what it was) but from this side it looks decrepit. From the street it looks like they've maintained the facade.

b226525131.jpg

b226525130.jpg

I was driving through SF and decided to check out the place and buy a 10-ride for my regular route.

The station building is there across from Sinbad's. The appearance is like the photos. The northern facade is brick and masonry in good condition. The eastern face is painted and the paint is peeling. Interesting contrast. It was easy enough to find when I knew where to look.

There were a few people waiting and it looked like the station agent didn't have much to do between between buses. Some kids came in looking to use the restroom but the station agent said not without a ticket (they open with a token) and said the Ferry Building was open.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides the MUNI streetcar tracks in the front 'driveway' of the old terminal, originally there were tracks along the upper level bus platforms last used by A C Transit and Greyhound. These were for the old interurban electric trains that crossed the Bay Bridge.

Amtrak thruway buses loaded at street level at the rear of the terminal. At one time Continental Trailways buses also loaded at the street level on the side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides the MUNI streetcar tracks in the front 'driveway' of the old terminal, originally there were tracks along the upper level bus platforms last used by A C Transit and Greyhound. These were for the old interurban electric trains that crossed the Bay Bridge.

Amtrak thruway buses loaded at street level at the rear of the terminal. At one time Continental Trailways buses also loaded at the street level on the side.
That was the Key System. Didn't Greyhound also use the Transbay Terminal?

It always seemed a lot like a train station to me, with all the ramps and the waiting area.

That was the Key System. Didn't Greyhound also use the Transbay Terminal?

It always seemed a lot like a train station to me, with all the ramps and the waiting area.
The Key System and the Sacramento Northern Ry. both operated into the Transbay Terminal initially.

As for Greyhound....they ran the majority of their operations from their own Seventh Street Terminal for many years. The only schedules they ran from the Transbay Terminal, were their commute only Contra Costa routes during rush hours. Later on, when they sold off their Peninsula and Marin county services, and downsized in general, they moved their entire operation over to the Transbay Terminal. Now they are located at 200 Folsom in the "temporary Transbay Terminal", while the new complex is being constructed on the old site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back