Where to stock up on adult beverages...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dabrilloman

Service Attendant
Howdy everyone!

I have a trip coming up departing the 26th of March. Chicago-Reno with roomette. I have plenty of time in Chicago for buying my stock.

But it is the return leg of the trip that I need advice. I am going Reno-Sacramento, then Sac-Portland, then Portland-St. Paul. With roomette PDX-MSP.

The question is, is there a place to buy my supply near the station in Sacramento? I have a 7 hour or so lay over there. The Portland stop is only just over an hour, so I figure my best bet is Sacramento.

Can wait for the trip...3 weeks to go!!!

The station is in an interesting location. It's sort of on the fringes of downtown Sacramento. It's near Old Sacramento with plenty of bars but no liquor stores to my knowledge. They do have some wine shops though. There are a few convenience stores in the area.

There's a new BevMo opening at 1700 J Street. The 30 bus would take you there or you could walk a mile. Not sure when it opens though.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Amtrak+-+SAC,+401+I+St,+Sacramento,+CA+95814/1700+J+St,+Sacramento,+CA+95811/@38.5809341,-121.5014058,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x809ad6d2903da319:0x62a4df308f9fb14b!2m2!1d-121.500378!2d38.584204!1m5!1m1!1s0x809ad0da69ec83e5:0x5534b0ea8c18d015!2m2!1d-121.4836635!2d38.5771829!3e3

There's a Safeway supermarket in West Sacramento. 1298 W Capitol Ave, West Sacramento, CA. There are various ways to get there.

As one who actually lived in the neighborhood I can offer some suggestions more based on price you'll pay.

Rodney's 10th and J. Walking distance but you'll pay for that.

Then the easier Safeway's than going to West Sac are at 19th and R Streets (Light Rail to 16th Street then walk five minutes down R Street) or the Safeway at Alhambra and J (30 bus from Amtrak to Alhambra. The return bus to Amtrak can be had either on the other side of J Street about 200 feet east of the stop you'll get off at or on Alhambra just south of K Street in front of the Bank of America).

This one would be the closest for walking, they do have a limited selection, but it would be a great walk. When come out of the walkway from the tracks, before you enter the terminal, turn right. It is a walk through to the railroad museum in old town sac. Walk 2 blocks forward, parallel to the river, and to the left you will see the walk under to downtown plaza. Just walk through the mall, the liquor store is around the corner to the right after you exit the mall.All kinds of stores and restaurants in the mall and old town , or a walk along the river will occupy any extra time you have.

Thanks for the tips everyone...looks like my ride shall be a happy ride!

Now, how do I estimate for the delays that I am sure to encounter on the EB!!!

I guess I should just use the rule of 2 plan....what ever you think you need, DOUBLE IT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back