Where to stay along CZ route except Denver

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As part of my Great Train Adventure next spring, I am taking the CZ from Emeryville and am looking for somewhere to stop along the route except for Denver. I have already seen Denver, so need somewhere else to stop. Will be continuing the CZ to Chicago and then home as it is my last leg of the trip.

As part of my Great Train Adventure next spring, I am taking the CZ from Emeryville and am looking for somewhere to stop along the route except for Denver. I have already seen Denver, so need somewhere else to stop. Will be continuing the CZ to Chicago and then home as it is my last leg of the trip.
Have you been to Glenwood Springs up in the Mountains above Denver? Fantastic place for a few days of relaxation, Google it up, Definitely worth a look! Denverites in the know use it for "Get-a-ways" from the Big City! They say that the Bar-B-Q is Really Good also but since Im from Texas I'd rate it Good! :D You can get off the Train, spend a couple of Nights and hop the Zephyr right in the middle of Town across from the Hot Springs and Great Old Railroad Hotel/Resort! The Town itself reminds me of a Mountain Village in the Sierra Nevadas, but of course you might not want to do it in Feb! :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
The previous posters did not make prominent mention of the hot springs. I believe that is the world's largest outdoor pool and it is open year round. You can go for a dip in the middle of the winter in the evening and look up at tyhe starry sky. I too highly recommend that you make a stopover in Glenwood Springs - lots of good restaurants.

The Town itself reminds me of a Mountain Village in the Sierra Nevadas, but of course you might not want to do it in Feb! :giggle:
I disagree strongly on this point. I've been to Glenwood Springs several times, and I think February is about the best time to visit. Virtually no running/screaming kids, a far more adult atmosphere, and swimming in the hot springs when it's freezing cold out is amazing.

Ok, I have taking you all up on the suggestion to stay in Glenwood Springs for a couple days. Now where is the best place to stay. I usually stay at courtyards and I know there is one there. But can take any suggestions.But remember I am traveling alone so need somewhere safe for a single older lady.

Glenwood Springs is my personal favorite location along that route. Winter is a wonderful time to visit as the mix of cold weather and a hot outdoor pool makes for a really neat experience. Several of the hotels offer vans that will pick you up at the station, while another (Hotel Denver) is right behind the depot.

Of the the hotels, Hotel Denver grabs the prize of being closest to the depot, basically a flight of stairs and cross the street to the front door. Across the river, there's the Hotel Colorado and the Hot Springs Lodge. Both are located behind the pool.

One of the nicer places in my mind is The Hot Springs Lodge. The lodge is owned by the same folks that own the pool, and I believe you can get discounts on pool admissions by staying here. The property is newer, maybe 20 years old, but very well maintained.

The Hotel Colorado is the main historic property downtown, although it can be a bit rustic to say the least. The public spaces are very nice, and they have a great Sunday Brunch. Guest rooms run from funky old to nice, depending on what level of room you book. In the old days, the Hotel Colorado was linked to the pool under common ownership, and Teddy Roosevelt stayed here on a hunting trip to Colorado.

There are multiple other properties including chain and local properties that you may also consider. Besides the pool, there are several nice spas (the pool has one, there's also the Glenwood Springs Vapor Caves that has underground caves that are warm and humid), and a nice downtown (be sure to check out the Book Train, a nice downtown book store that has a great magazine selection). All of downtown is pedestrian friendly. In warmer months, there is a solid surface walking / biking trail along the Colorado River east of town through Glenwood Canyon that is something you might enjoy. There's also another cave site, accessible by gondola rides downtown that I haven't tried.

If you decide to rent a car, there's multiple attractions nearby. Aspen is a short drive from Glenwood, and the town of Marble is a neat area also. There's lots of railroad history in the area, if you're into that sort of thing. At one time Glenwood was served by two railroads - Denver and Rio Grande, and the Midland Railroad. The Midland went out after WWI. The current railroad alignment occupies the old Midland roadbed west of Glenwood through the Red Canyon until it crosses over the Colorado.

Hopefully haven't overwhelmed you with info, but I do think you'd love this as a quiet stop along your trip. Have fun, let us know how it went if you get a moment -

I've stayed at both the Hot Springs Lodge and Hotel Colorado and would recommend the latter. Both are just across the street from the hot springs entrance, but the Hot Springs Lodge is essentially a soulless, generic, overpriced motel, whereas Hotel Colorado has tons of history and character. Yes, the rooms at the Hotel Colorado are "old-fashioned" and don't have some modern ameneties, but that's part of the charm. Both hotels have a shuttle that can pick you up at the train station, but in most cases I found it unnecessary, unless I have a lot of luggage: both hotels are a very short walk away from the train station.

If you decide to rent a car, there's multiple attractions nearby. Aspen is a short drive from Glenwood, and the town of Marble is a neat area also.
There's no need to rent a car to reach Aspen, as there's frequent bus service between the two towns. Here are the links to the schedules:

From Glenwood Springs to Aspen: http://www.rfta.com/upvalley.html

To Aspen from Glenwood Springs: http://www.rfta.com/downvalley.html

Combined PDF schedule: http://www.rfta.com/valley.pdf

The fare is a very reasonable $7 one-way, and free for seniors.

There's also another cave site, accessible by gondola rides downtown that I haven't tried.
That's at the Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park (http://glenwoodcaverns.com). It's definitely worth a visit, mainly for the cave tour, which is quite impressive. The tram base is walking distance from downtown/hot springs. They're closed mid-week during the winter season, though. Here's the schedule:

http://glenwoodcaverns.com/images/calendar-for-web12.gif

Glenwood Springs--good choice! I stayed there in 1981 while riding the RIO GRANDE ZEPHYR.

Other stop-offs on the CZ route that I've made are Galesburg, Illinois and Truckee, California. They have decent accommodations in walking distance.

I'm lurking in your thread! I, too, am a single older lady who wants to take the CZ sometime next year. Keep those questions and answers coming! :)

This is the last leg of my 39 day train adventure (one week home in the middle) I am getting a 45-day rail pass and seeing every corner of the country. Well almost, only going to Orlando, not Miami, not sure Miami is single older lady safe.

My tentative schedule is to leave Emeryville on May 14th, arrive in Glenwood Springs on the 15th and stay until the 17th and then continue on the CZ to Chicago then LSL home to WOR

While I would add my support for Glenwood Springs and its many charms (at least, outside of tourist season); there are also other worthy departures on the California Zephyr route.

Two oft-dismissed cities on the route are Salt Lake City and Omaha. Both have shed their 19th Century status as either glorified cowtowns or sect enclaves and are modern cities, though not quite of the same size or perceived relevance in the region as Denver or Phoenix. Salt Lake is, of course, a daytime stop and boarding point; Omaha is not for the early sleepers, having a near-Midnight arrival and departure time. Still, I always like stepping off the train upon arriving there and wandering the platform while stopped; there is an almost meditative peacefulness which is absent in larger stops, particularly in the Eastern US.

Actually, I've found the CZ route to be rather abundant with stops where I would like to see more of the surrounding area (though not necessarily while travelling by train).

@June:

Coincidentally, my name is June, too.

Are you traveling solo? Are you mostly traveling in sleepers? Looks like my trip may turn into a solo one. My friend smokes and doesn't think she can deal with the no smoking policy. I am toying with the idea of possibly taking the SL and then the Crescent to get back home instead of flying back from LAX. But that's a lot of train! I'm only slightly past the dreaming stage, no definite plans yet. Following you with interest!

Two oft-dismissed cities on the route are Salt Lake City and Omaha. Both have shed their 19th Century status as either glorified cowtowns or sect enclaves and are modern cities, though not quite of the same size or perceived relevance in the region as Denver or Phoenix. Salt Lake is, of course, a daytime stop and boarding point; Omaha is not for the early sleepers, having a near-Midnight arrival and departure time.
Calling times for the California Zephyr (when on time):

SLC 11:05PM WB 3:05AM EB

OMA 10:55PM WB 4:59AM EB

To each his own but most folks would find that Salt Lake City and Omaha tend to be rather Quiet and Roll up the Sidewalks @ Dark! :giggle:

My friend smokes and doesn't think she can deal with the no smoking policy.
I've got to say, that in my non-professional, non-smoking opinion, it would be hard to ride the California Zephyr from Denver to Chicago as a dedicated smoker. If I recall correctly, there are only two designated smoking stops on the route--Ottumwa IA & Omaha. The crew is pretty adamant that even other stops of around or up to 10 minutes are not conducive to a smoke break.

Unless she is one of those cigarette only-after-dinner-and-before-bed types, I think it might be difficult.

@June:

Coincidentally, my name is June, too.

Are you traveling solo? Are you mostly traveling in sleepers? Looks like my trip may turn into a solo one. My friend smokes and doesn't think she can deal with the no smoking policy. I am toying with the idea of possibly taking the SL and then the Crescent to get back home instead of flying back from LAX. But that's a lot of train! I'm only slightly past the dreaming stage, no definite plans yet. Following you with interest!

Hi June!

Yes I am traveling solo. Lost my husband of 21 years last September and this train adventure is my reward for having made it thru the past year. I am starting in Worcester MA and touching every LD route and some shorter that Amtrak provides. I am using the 45-day rail pass and staying a couple days here and there to see baseball at different parks if possible. My husband was a smoker, so I know all about the need for smoke stops.

Keep following, when I actually make the actual reservations in January, I will have a better handle on when I will be where.

Hi June1,

My husband passed away this September, and we had planned to take the CZ after I retired, but his declining health prevented that. I would like to take the trip sometime next summer. As I'll probably not go back that way again, I thought it might be worth it to also take the CS down the coast for those views. However, according to a couple of posts, the best views are only for a relatively short stretch before it gets to Santa Barbara. Then I thought about taking the SL. Assumed I would have to travel solo, then a good friend said she wanted to go, now doesn't, and I'm not feeling quite as brave about the solo travel. Silly, as I was OK with it before I ever thought she was coming along. I hope to buy and use AGR points for a roomette or BR, but it's unclear from what I've read whether an overnight layover (such as in Emeryville or LAX) is allowed, even if the next train is the following day. At this point I'm unsure what I want to do. Because of our dog-child, I don't want to be gone from home more than about a week tops.

What factors affected your decision to reserve in January instead of earlier? I have no experience using AGR and am depending on the kind people here for info and tips. Please do keep us posted on your progress! Thanks much- June2

If you're traveling in summer, June2: My elderly dad and I very much enjoyed getting off the Zephyr in Granby to visit Rocky Mt National Park for a couple of days. A local rental car company will meet you at the station.

Hi June1,

My husband passed away this September, and we had planned to take the CZ after I retired, but his declining health prevented that. I would like to take the trip sometime next summer. As I'll probably not go back that way again, I thought it might be worth it to also take the CS down the coast for those views. However, according to a couple of posts, the best views are only for a relatively short stretch before it gets to Santa Barbara. Then I thought about taking the SL. Assumed I would have to travel solo, then a good friend said she wanted to go, now doesn't, and I'm not feeling quite as brave about the solo travel. Silly, as I was OK with it before I ever thought she was coming along. I hope to buy and use AGR points for a roomette or BR, but it's unclear from what I've read whether an overnight layover (such as in Emeryville or LAX) is allowed, even if the next train is the following day. At this point I'm unsure what I want to do. Because of our dog-child, I don't want to be gone from home more than about a week tops.

What factors affected your decision to reserve in January instead of earlier? I have no experience using AGR and am depending on the kind people here for info and tips. Please do keep us posted on your progress! Thanks much- June2
OMG you and I have more in common that we realize. My husband passed away a year ago September. I had always wanted to travel to the west coast by train, but with a year of severe grieving, I felt I deserved more than just one trip. So I am taking a trip to every corner of the country, well not exactly, I am only going to Orlando and LA, not the exact corners, but close. LOL

Anyway, to keep this thread on topic, I have changed up my schedule and am now going to take the CZ westbound and stay in Glenwood Springs for three days, then travel up to Seattle to see a Mariners game then back to Sacramento and the CZ back to Chicago stopping in Grand Junction for two days.

Has anyone stayed in Grand Junction and where is the best place to stay there?

We do have a lot in common. Baseball is my favorite sport, btw.

I probably should have asked this before now, but from Davis or Emeryville on the CS, is the better scenery (esp. of the coast) on the northbound run or the southbound? I'd assumed it would be on the southbound, but maybe not. The CS wasn't in my original plan, but while I'm out there.......

Opinions? Thanks!

Generally the northbound gets you more daylight, and is less prone to delays. But, southbound if you time it right you get to see a sunset over the water. The horseshoe curve north of San Luis Obispo is also best viewed northbound.

My friend smokes and doesn't think she can deal with the no smoking policy.
I've got to say, that in my non-professional, non-smoking opinion, it would be hard to ride the California Zephyr from Denver to Chicago as a dedicated smoker. If I recall correctly, there are only two designated smoking stops on the route--Ottumwa IA & Omaha. The crew is pretty adamant that even other stops of around or up to 10 minutes are not conducive to a smoke break.

Unless she is one of those cigarette only-after-dinner-and-before-bed types, I think it might be difficult.
It depends on how late the train was. On a recent trip we also got Galesburg as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back