Where should I go?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johanna

Service Attendant
Hello! I'm trying to think of what to do with all my vacation time next year (I know, that's a good problem to have), and I thought I'd cast the net for some ideas. Here are some criteria:

- My home station is WAS.

- I'm interested in anything as short as a day trip or as long as about two weeks.

- I like to visit interesting and/or beautiful towns and cities of all sizes that are easily navigable on foot and/or by public transportation. Specific attractions are far less important than pleasant places to walk around. (I also like riding trains for their own sake, but I'd rather they take me someplace I want to go.) I like to spend 2-3 days in a place (or less, if it's small), then move on.

- By the time I book the trip, I'll have about 35,000 AGR points. I want to use them wisely. (Of course, I can also pay cash for stuff.)

- I strongly prefer roomettes for overnight travel.

- Flying or taking an intercity bus for one or more legs of the journey are options I'm willing to consider. Driving/renting a car at any point, I'm not.

- Some places I've been recently (doesn't mean I can't visit them again, just that I already know what's there): Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Charlottesville, Fredericksburg, Chicago, San Francisco, Eugene OR, Portland OR, Seattle. (And in Canada: Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City.)

- Trains I've taken (again, doesn't meant I can't take them again): Northeast Regional, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder (all end-to-end, if you ignore that the EB was bustituted from Spokane to Seattle), Coast Starlight (San Francisco to Eugene), Cascades (Portland to Seattle). (And in Canada, the corridor train from Toronto to Montreal to Quebec.)

Where would you go if you were me?

The one time I visited New Orleans, I found it to be a wonderful place for walking, which I did a lot of, on a few different days. It's also a great place for eating, which I also did a lot of!

So, your options there are the City of New Orleans from Chicago, or the Crescent from Washington.

Maybe don't go this week though :)

The Riverwalk in San Antonio is kinda neat...... google it for more info
cool.gif

Salt Lake City & Park City.UT. Not sure what type of transportatiIon is available from SLC to Park City. I was visiting family so we went in their car.

I'd suggest something like WAS-NYP-CHI-LAX-NOL-WAS, with stopovers wherever you'd like.

It seems that you've done the EB and CZ, so I avoided those.

Hello! I'm trying to think of what to do with all my vacation time next year (I know, that's a good problem to have), and I thought I'd cast the net for some ideas. Here are some criteria:

- My home station is WAS.

- I'm interested in anything as short as a day trip or as long as about two weeks.

- I like to visit interesting and/or beautiful towns and cities of all sizes that are easily navigable on foot and/or by public transportation. Specific attractions are far less important than pleasant places to walk around. (I also like riding trains for their own sake, but I'd rather they take me someplace I want to go.) I like to spend 2-3 days in a place (or less, if it's small), then move on.

- By the time I book the trip, I'll have about 35,000 AGR points. I want to use them wisely. (Of course, I can also pay cash for stuff.)

- I strongly prefer roomettes for overnight travel.

- Flying or taking an intercity bus for one or more legs of the journey are options I'm willing to consider. Driving/renting a car at any point, I'm not.

- Some places I've been recently (doesn't mean I can't visit them again, just that I already know what's there): Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Charlottesville, Fredericksburg, Chicago, San Francisco, Eugene OR, Portland OR, Seattle. (And in Canada: Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City.)

- Trains I've taken (again, doesn't meant I can't take them again): Northeast Regional, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder (all end-to-end, if you ignore that the EB was bustituted from Spokane to Seattle), Coast Starlight (San Francisco to Eugene), Cascades (Portland to Seattle). (And in Canada, the corridor train from Toronto to Montreal to Quebec.)

Ever been on the California Zephyr? I'd recommend CHI to SAC on the Zephyr. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Another vote for New Orleans and San Antonio. I would also suggest the Big Bend country but only if you're willing to fudge on your not-renting-a-car provision; there's no other good way to get to the park environs aside from renting a car in Alpine. The weather in Texas and Louisiana is (generally) awesome in March-April and October-November. Traveling between December and February can be nice but is a bit chancy. Traveling between May and September is not recommended if you plan to spend much time out of the air conditioning.

If you go to New Orleans, I would recommend:

River cruise on the Steamboat Natchez, particularly their dinner jazz cruise.

World War II Museum.

Streetcars, especially the St. Charles line. (Note: Not air-conditioned!)

Fried seafood at Cafe Maspero.

Breakfast at the Camellia Grill.

If you go to San Antonio, I would recommend:

San Antonio Riverwalk.

The Alamo.

Breakfast at the Guenther House.

Gray Line Alamo City tour and/or Hill Country Wine tour.

If you do visit the Big Bend country, I would recommend:

Rio Grande float trip (raft or canoe, depending on river stage) - must be booked in advance for border clearance.

Lajitas resort (IMHO, the nicest place to stay in the area)

Driving or hiking through Big Bend National Park

Dinner at the Starlite Theater in Terlingua.

Wherever you go, have a great trip!

Looks to me like you've not been on the California Zephyr. Given the time (and AGR points), I'd ride the Capitol Limited to Chicago and then the California Zephyr to Sacramento. The Vagabond Inn is a reasonably priced, reputably clean motor hotel within a block of the Amtrak Station. It's actually right across the street from the Amtrak parking lot BUT as that street is becoming an on ramp for Interstate 5, it's wise to add the half block walk on either side of the street so you can cross at the light.

Once in Sacramento you've got the Capitol District and Historic Old Town Sacramento within easy walking distance. There is light rail for ranging a little further afoot....... and you could always daytrip to nearby Davis (a college town) or even Oakland/San Francisco using Amtrak.

For something of the 'daytrip' variety, Ashland, VA is a pleasant college town less than 2 hours each way by train from Washington. Might make it a longer trip to include Williamsburg, VA........ stopping overnight at the Henry Clay Inn, a 14-room recreation of the original railroad hotel in Ashland. It is literally within 30 feet of the train station.

One option that hasn't been mentioned is a southbound trip to Savannah and Charleston, accessible by the Palmetto or Silvers. If you take 97 out of DC, it departs 7.30pm and gets you in 6.44am next morning at Savannah. (Going to Savannah first avoids arriving in the wee hours at Charleston) Spend a couple of days there, then get either 90 or 98 north to Charleston, stop there for a couple of days, and either 90 or 98 (if you fancy an overnight trip) back to DC.

This would be good for a winter trip (I did something similar last year over Thanksgiving). Both cities are beautiful and have interesting, walkable downtowns that fit your description. The only problem with the trip is that both cities have their stations several miles outside the historic center, so you have to add the cost of a taxi fare to/from the station.

I agree with New Orleans, and the Crescent would be the best way to get there! Then head out on the Sunset Ltd. to LAX, ride the Surfliner to San Diego and use various light/commuter rail and Busses to visit the great Cities located along the Coast between SAN and LAX! I would then ride the Starlight to Emeryville, spend the night and catch the Zephyr to Glennwood Springs,Colorado and spend a few days in this great little Mountain town! From there take the Zephyr on to Chicago, then either the Cap Ltd. or Cardinal home to WAS, Chicago is worth a look too, great Hostel International there that lots of us use and except for New York I consider CHI as having the most to do of any Big US City! :wub:

I'm trying to think of the best way for you to use your points. I don't want you to waste them on otherwise inexpensive journeys, nor do I want to send you somewhere you wouldn't be interested in.

You have said that you are willing to go outside these boundaries, but for the sake of this thread, I will try to keep inside them.

With the miles you have, you are eligible for a round trip roomette in one zone.

From WAS, there are no real "sleeper" trips to the North. Even to Montreal, or Portland, ME are all coach/business. You could go West to Cleveland, and they may even let you some how track through Chicago to get to Detroit.

But from my quick look at what would fill all your criteria, I would consider Miami. It's not on your Been List. It's nearly 24 hours each way of rail travel. The overall retail value of the trip in a Roomette would be around $1000.

Once in Miami, Bus Route "L" or "112" will take you to Miami Beach. I suggest going all the way down to South Beach, where you'll find a trove of Art Deco style hotels, and beautiful walks along the beach. Of course, you can also enjoy the private comfort of a taxi ride from the Amtrak station as well.

Are you really adventurous? Perhaps you may want to enjoy a cruise out of the Port of Miami. 3, 4, 5 nite and longer cruises are avaialable from Miami.

Don't sell Downtown short. Many federal buildings (like you don't see enough of in DC) are quite nice. Almost Greco-Roman like DC, but with a little Spanish twist. You can ride the people mover and fly around downtown at 30 feet above ground level.

The downside on this itinerary would be that the scenery on this trip is rather bland. But there is still plenty to enjoy. Your included dining plan will introduce you to many new friends. You'll also get to enjoy watching the trees change from pines and oaks to palmettos and palms. If you take the Silver Star, you'll get an extra 4 hours on board as you slide over to West Florida and dip a bit into Downtown Tampa, though you won't have time to get out and enjoy it.

Finally, if you're REAL adventurous, you can find your way ALL the way down to Marathon Key - almost all the way to Key West using Miami Dade public transportation. It'll take nearly 4 1/2 hours to get there, but get this. The price? $2.85.

See http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/fares.asp for more info on the local Miami scene & transit services.

But, hey, that's just MY suggestion! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back