Where does the zone end?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berkyo

Service Attendant
Is there a place where each route marks the zone end? The map they show is not quite exact. Last trip out west, I thought Roc to Chi was one zone but learned it was Toledo where the zone changed. We used coach to Toledo and Roommette to grand Junction and reverse.

This year we are moving my daughter to Santa Fe (lots of trips back and forth now :) ) and leaving from Sante Fe - after taking the moving truck there - and ending in Cumberland MD. - Where our car would be.

We have @20K points and wonder is Lamy in the same zone as Chicago on the SW chief? and where the zones are on that Chi to CUmberland MD route.

Any advice on whether to use the points now or pay for the this one way trip and keep saving for a trip out and back in the winter?

An older version of the Zone Map, complete with border cities, is found here. For some reason AGR replaced it with a map that still included discontinued routes, but did not give the border cities.

To answer your two questions, Lamy is a border city (actually all the stops between Albuquerque and Trinidad are), so it's in the same central zone as Chicago. The boundary between the eastern and central zones on the Capitol Limited route is Toledo.

It's hard to answer your last question, as I don't know how quickly you accumulate points. In general, prices are higher in the summer, plus there are lots of blackout dates around Christmas when you can't use AGR points, so you might get more bang out of your points using them for the summer trip.

They used to publish a map showing the zone boundaries AND city names. For some unknown reason, AGR removed the city names from the map! :wacko:

The boundary cities (which are in both zones depending if your headed east or west) are Atlanta, Cincinnati, Toledo, Wolf Point (MT), Denver, El Paso and on the SWC any stop between Trinidad (CO) and ABQ are border cities.

For the OP's specific question, it would be 2 zones, with the border city as Toledo, OH. If getting a Roomette, I personally would get a 2 zone Roomette award, over a 1 zone Roomette award and paying coach. A 1 zone Roomette is 15,000 points while a 2 zone Roomette award is only 20,000 points. And that is the total cost for either 1 or 2 people listed on the reservation. And you would have a flat bed between Cumberland and Toledo. And maybe an included meal (for all listed on the award) from/to Cumberland! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
They used to publish a map showing the zone boundaries AND city names. For some unknown reason, AGR removed the city names from the map! :wacko:
The boundary cities (which are in both zones depending if your headed east or west) are Atlanta, Cincinnati, Toledo, Wolf Point (MT), Denver, El Paso and on the SWC any stop between Trinidad (CO) and ABQ are border cities.

For the OP's specific question, it would be 2 zones, with the border city as Toledo, OH. If getting a Roomette, I personally would get a 2 zone Roomette award, over a 1 zone Roomette award and paying coach. A 1 zone Roomette is 15,000 points while a 2 zone Roomette award is only 20,000 points. And that is the total cost for either 1 or 2 people listed on the reservation. And you would have a flat bed between Cumberland and Toledo. And maybe an included meal (for all listed on the award) from/to Cumberland! :)
So when you buy an AGR roomette, the other passenger pays no fare at all?

Last edited:
Okay, thanks for the info. i have the map :) and copied the zones ends form you guys. I forgot the 2 zone room is just a little higher than the one zone. We will do that. Thanks!

Back