When Was The Last Time?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
We have had several threads and polls on the forum lately about Amtrak equipment updates, the need for new equipment, etc.

When was the last time Amtrak received brand new equipment in the form of passenger cars or engines?

Not talking about refurbs or changes such as the CCC, but real new equipment that was fresh off the assembly line somewhere.

We have had several threads and polls on the forum lately about Amtrak equipment updates, the need for new equipment, etc.
When was the last time Amtrak received brand new equipment in the form of passenger cars or engines?

Not talking about refurbs or changes such as the CCC, but real new equipment that was fresh off the assembly line somewhere.
While I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in, I'd have to venture that the Acelas and the HHP-8s were Amtrak's most recent acquisitions.

While I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in, I'd have to venture that the Acelas and the HHP-8s were Amtrak's most recent acquisitions.

As far as I know the HHP-8s were the last locos.

What's the complete chronological listing of equipment aquisitions, then? I think it's something like

Heritage fleet

Hozions

Amfleets + Superliners + P40s/P42s + AEM-7s (maybe someone else can fill in the details of the precise order)

Viewliners

Acela + HHP-8

Filling in the years might be good, too.

If we're talking cars, then the last new stuff would be some of the California cars (2002), followed by Acela Express (2000-2002), followed by the Talgos (1998), and then the Viewliner sleepers (1995-1996). The Superliner II's would be the next newest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horizons aren't that old... I'm thinking late '80s, early '90s.

What's the complete chronological listing of equipment aquisitions, then? I think it's something like
Heritage fleet

Hozions

Amfleets + Superliners + P40s/P42s + AEM-7s (maybe someone else can fill in the details of the precise order)

Viewliners

Acela + HHP-8

Filling in the years might be good, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we're talking cars, then the last new stuff would be some of the California cars (2002), followed by Acela Express (2000-2002), followed by the Talgos (1998), and then the Viewliner sleepers (1995-1996). The Superliner II's would be the next newest.
The California Cars - they were made by Bombardier, correct?

The California Cars - they were made by Bombardier, correct?
I'm not sure about the older ones, but the most recent ones are from Alstom.

Can we really count the California cars though since I thought they were bought by the State of California and just operated by Amtrak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back