When to Switch to Sleepr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertRat

Lead Service Attendant
Planning a trip to SEA. I'm thinking about moving from coach to sleeper in Paso Robles or San Jose on the way up, and at Klamath Falls on the way back to LA.

I did consider switching to sleeper at Frisco when going up but for some reason I'm thinking that may not be good.

Any suggestions/feedback?

Desert Rat, I would suggest checking the price of the sleeper before your trip, due to the fact that it may be hard to switch to the sleepers en route.

Ive heard that more times than not, either the sleepers are "sold out" or it turns out that the conductors dont want to mess with the paperwork involved.

On the CS, you might get a good conductor who is willing to do that for you, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Its always worth a try though.

Guess I should have explained I will be booking with an agent. I tried to use the multi leg trip option in the site but it won't work apparently for changes from coaxh to sleeper enroute.

Oh ok, well the agent should be able to upgrade you to the sleepers when you call. As long as the price is agreeable to you, that shouldnt be a problem.

The daylight portion of the sleeper trip usually doesn't cost that much. You will probably pay almost as much for the overnight part as for the whole trip. And sleeper passengers get their meals included, plus there is the privacy of a private room and you have access to the Parlor car that coach pass don't have. And last time I rode the CS I got a good look at coach and swore I would never ride there. lol.

I did consider switching to sleeper at Frisco when going up but for some reason I'm thinking that may not be good.
Any suggestions/feedback?
For starters, be careful in whooz presence you say "Frisco," a city to which the Starlight does not go.

Besides adding complexity and apparently trying to lower your fare, is there any other rationale - e.g. scenic considerations or particular times to be in the Pacific Parlour Car - for switching between coach and sleeper?

And that would be why I keep thinking that stopping at Frisco won't work....the CS doesn't stop there.

I'm looking into lowering my fare, yes. I'm trying to decide on a good place to switch to the sleeper side before bedtime.

I'm trying to decide on a good place to switch to the sleeper side before bedtime.
If on time, Oakland northbound, Klamath Falls southbound. If not on time you could be just plain outta luck, and stuck for hours past "bedtime" in Coach; hardly a bargain.

I'm really getting upset realizing that more and more Amtrak conductors are being negligent to their responsibilities by not offering onboard upgrades.

Something to consider when booking a sleeper on the same route is the fact that you could be looking at paying a good chunck of the rail fare over again, though probably still chapter than a room the whole way. IE: LAX - SEA may be $106, but LAX to San Jose may be $54 + San Jose to SEA another $103. Sleepers also tend to price out higher initially with additional distance not adding a whole lot - especially if you are trying to avoid a sleeper during the day.

So I just ran some real numbers, and I figure you can save $9 by booking separate legs. (get roomette in SJC) You can't book a multi city because the connection times are too close (! Same train?!) So you'll need two itineraries.

For $9, get the room in LA, and that'll pay for your lunch. To save some real coin, you'll have to switch in Sacramento at midnight. (around $55)

Last edited by a moderator:
VentureForth, that was the thing I ran into with the multleg....I figured that was the system's way of telling me I couldn't switch accomodations without an agent's help.

Didn't occur to me about the rail fare. Meh. Better off getting the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back