When to get to the station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

da40flyer

Train Attendant
Am taking my 2 kids on the Coast Starlight from LA to Portland in June. How early should I get to the station to get on board to get the coveted seat with the power plugs? How early do they generally let you board? Our train leaves at 1045am. Thanks for your input! And is this train usually pretty packed full or does it vary?

Hi,

I took that train myself in Sept. 07, and I recall it being pretty full. Please bear in mind that you may get assigned seat numbers, rather than choosing your own. The queue starts forming about 45 minutes to an hour beforehand. The queue starts in the main hall, then you all stagger/walk/march/run down a long tunnel to your track. The tunnel is open anyway, and the queue is a kind of device to ensure passengers are in the correct place. If you could find out in advance which track the train was departing from, you might be able to get a head start.. Red Caps often give the elderly and infirm priority boarding, if you have youngsters and baggage you might qualify also. Boarding takes place about 20 - 30 mins before departure, if the coaches are ready.

Roller blades, cycle, small motor bikes might be worth a shot too!

Ed B)

Last edited by a moderator:
What those limeys call "queues" we regular humans call lines. :lol:

da40flyer, it's great that you're taking the kids on a train ride. As a veteran of the Coast Starlight - assuming you're riding in coach - I recommend asking the attendant(s) as you board to be given a seat with an electrical outlet.

In coach the number of passengers will vary. Not everybody rides all the way from L.A. to Seattle, and you'll see folks come and go at each stop as the train proceeds. Boarding at L.A. you probably have a good shot at getting an outlet. Always ask.

As for what time to get to the station, you don't want my advice :lol: . I always get there hours early to take pictures.

Our train leaves at 1045am.
I'm pretty sure the Coast Starlight leaves at 10:15 am, not 10:45.

The last few times that I've boarded at LAX we had to go through a security check-in before we could get in line. We usually get there plenty early, so the check-in line isn't very long, but I've seen it get pretty long closer to departure. You should factor that into your arrival time.

The last few times that I've boarded at LAX we had to go through a security check-in before we could get in line. We usually get there plenty early, so the check-in line isn't very long, but I've seen it get pretty long closer to departure. You should factor that into your arrival time.
not to hijack but what is the security check in like nothing like the airport right

Where would they position the security screening? The tunnel is open to anyone, and you can walk to any of the platforms via the tunnel or around the bumpers at the south end of the tracks, so I can't imagine how they'd limit access to the platform...

What those limeys call "queues" we regular humans call lines. :lol:
da40flyer, it's great that you're taking the kids on a train ride. As a veteran of the Coast Starlight - assuming you're riding in coach - I recommend asking the attendant(s) as you board to be given a seat with an electrical outlet.

In coach the number of passengers will vary. Not everybody rides all the way from L.A. to Seattle, and you'll see folks come and go at each stop as the train proceeds. Boarding at L.A. you probably have a good shot at getting an outlet. Always ask.

As for what time to get to the station, you don't want my advice :lol: . I always get there hours early to take pictures.
Early arrival for me isn't a problem. Was thinking of taking the Metrolink in plenty early anyway.

Yes you're right it's 1015am. You see this is what happens when you post messages to a message board and you're half asleep in the middle of the night. ;)

Where would they position the security screening? The tunnel is open to anyone, and you can walk to any of the platforms via the tunnel or around the bumpers at the south end of the tracks, so I can't imagine how they'd limit access to the platform...
Matching the name of your ID card to your ticket.

Matching the name of your ID card to your ticket.
As you stand in the check in line, to the right is the Amtrak Information Kiosk. You can check in there about an hour before train time and they will also, sometimes, get you on the meals reservation list if you are in a sleeping car. In this case, for lunch. They check your ticket and ID, also.

When I was in LAUS a few weeks ago I walked out to the train level platforms several times without anyone ever saying a word to me. The LD trains usually come and go from the far out gates but you never know which track they will be on until the last minute. If you go out early and are not on the correct platform, you have to walk all the way back down to the concourse and back up the ramp to the correct gate.

Just easier to wait with the masses and walk out when they announce the track number.

We had a redcap cart us out to the gate and we were the first ones on the train. Well worth the tip as they also handled all out luggage for us.

When I was in LAUS a few weeks ago I walked out to the train level platforms several times without anyone ever saying a word to me.
This is because there would be commuter riots if they tried to stop and inspect every person passing through Union Station on the way to or from work in downtown L.A.

Let's hope train stations never become airports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back