When do I really need to be at the station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are taking the Southwest Chief from San Bernardino, California, to Chicago in August. The San Bernardino station is unattended - no checked baggage no nothing or anyone. The Amtrak site says we need to be there 45 minutes before the 754 pm departure but it does not say when the train gets there. Do we really need to be there 45 minutes before? Since there is no checked baggage (we have a bedroom reserved), we'll just carry on luggage and stow it in the lower level.

I don't think it's really necessary to get there 45 minutes before departure but if it were me, I'd get there no later than 20 minutes before it comes. It's not going to sit around San Bernadino any longer than it takes to board or disembark passengers.

If you get the app on your phone it'll be able to give you an idea of how close to schedule it's running, when they project it'll be there.

Theoretically you could walk out on to the platform at 7:50 and make the train. Since there is no service, leave enough time so that you can be SURE to get there at least 10 minutes before departure time. This allows time to get through the station and be prepared to board. So really, the amount of time you should plan to get there before departure time depends on how far you have to travel to the station, as there are more uncertainties on longer trips to the station.

Last edited by a moderator:
San Bernardino is a short stop, the train only stops for a couple of minutes, just enough embark and detrain passengers. If it gets there early, it cannot leave before 7:54. You need enough time to get yourself parked and yourself and your stuff to the platform. In theory you could get there at 7:53 if you knew you could hustle. Realistically, being on the platform 10 minutes before train time is more than generous.

Even if you get an estimated departure time, don't rely on it. The train can often make up time quickly and it's only an estimate. I have showed up late, but I had a decent idea how fast it could get there and I arrived a good 20 minutes before the train did.

I used to travel from Flagstaff to San Bernardino when I was a little boy. San Bernardino seemed like a fairly substantial operation back then with all sorts of busy people and curious activities going on all around us. Honestly sounds like a bit of a ghost town now. Really nice architecture though. In any case the train will probably only be there for a few minutes. Just long enough to get everyone scanned and boarded and then they'll be off again. If you're familiar with the surroundings then reaching the boarding area ten or fifteen minutes before scheduled departure should be plenty of time. There's no reason to be there 45 minutes early if you have your ticket, know where to go, and have no luggage to check.

I used to travel from Flagstaff to San Bernardino when I was a little boy. San Bernardino seemed like a fairly substantial operation back then with all sorts of busy people and curious activities going on all around us. Honestly sounds like a bit of a ghost town now. Really nice architecture though. In any case the train will probably only be there for a few minutes. Just long enough to get everyone scanned and boarded and then they'll be off again. If you're familiar with the surroundings then reaching the boarding area ten or fifteen minutes before scheduled departure should be plenty of time. There's no reason to be there 45 minutes early if you have your ticket, know where to go, and have no luggage to check.
Amtrak does get very little traffic at San Bernardino relative to its size. However, Metrolink has a significant presence at the station with frequent departures to Los Angeles and Oceanside.

Like another person said, I'd probably try to get there at least 10 minutes before the arrival time in San Bernardino. You probably could get away with 5 minutes before if you really hustled after you park to get to the train platform, but I prefer at least 10 minutes(if not 15) just to be safe. I know at certain busier Amtrak depots in the Midwest(Chicago, Milwaukee, and I think also Saint Louis), they lock up the gates 5 minutes before train departure.

The 45 minute recommendation you saw btw, is just for staffed stations IF you are utilizing the checked baggage service with your bags at the few stops that offer it. And of course, only a handful of stations handle checked baggage(i.e. LA, Fullerton, Flagstaff, Albuquerque, etc) on the Southwest Chief, and most don't offer checked baggage service. Which includes San Bernardino, where you're boarding.

Honestly, I'm someone who prefers to get to the station before the train arrives, preferring to have no less than a 5-10 minute cushion before the scheduled arrival time. But that's just me.

Actually, 45 minutes is the default answer, just like airlines say arrive at the airport at least 1 hour before your flight. If you were (and could) check baggage, it must be IN THE AGENT'S HANDS 45 minutes before departure, not just Having you in line. Even if you were standing in line, but you reached the agent 35 minutes before departure, they may not allow you to check your bags.

I have gotten to the station just as the train pulled in - but I would not recommend that! I would arrive 10-15 minutes before departure. It is much better to see the station when departing from the inside of the train than it is to watch the trailing lights leaving the station from the outside!

Actually, 45 minutes is the default answer, just like airlines say arrive at the airport at least 1 hour before your flight. If you were (and could) check baggage, it must be IN THE AGENT'S HANDS 45 minutes before departure, not just Having you in line. Even if you were standing in line, but you reached the agent 35 minutes before departure, they may not allow you to check your bags.

I have gotten to the station just as the train pulled in - but I would not recommend that! I would arrive 10-15 minutes before departure. It is much better to see the station when departing from the inside of the train than it is to watch the trailing lights leaving the station from the outside!
I've done that on Capitol Corridor many times, but that's more like a commuter train run by Amtrak on behalf of a local agency.

However, I have taken BART to Richmond to catch the Coast Starlight before they removed it as a stop. I had about 7 minutes, and the CS was late 2 minutes. And as was mentioned there basically is no requirement for an unstaffed station other than to be there before the train doors close.

As for baggage check in time, there are all sorts of things that may happen differently than the posted rules. I took the CS from Seattle to Emeryville and although I check in my baggage about 80 minutes before departure, they announced final call for baggage at about 12 minutes before departure.

The station being a substantial Metrolink station means that parking could either be close to platform or a long way off. Parking and traffic are a problem anywhere. Wife got that lesson years ago and missed a train because of traffic and also had to carry on baggage at a checked bag station.

Last edited by a moderator:
They will most likely allow you to check your bags, but your bags are very likely to arrive a day later than you do...or even longer if you're taking one of the "three-a-weeks".

They will most likely allow you to check your bags, but your bags are very likely to arrive a day later than you do...or even longer if you're taking one of the "three-a-weeks".
Depends on the agent (and the train). Some won't want the hassle and complexity of explaining all of it. "You missed the cutoff" is much simpler.

Also, specifically on the Amtrak Cascades service to Vancouver, the bag MUST be on the same train with you because of customs.

Back