When a passenger train is delayed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. Thanks. Might be good to buy a case and keep the extra for home power outages, snow storms, etc.
I have gone the route of storing a 2 month supply of Wise Food (I am not endorsing them over any of the other food storage suppliers) and am looking at doubling that in the coming days. They advertise a 25 year shelf life. Food Storage is one of the most basic common sense things a person can do today and even though my friends think I am goofy we will see who is goofy when there is an EMP or other major disaster and they are out scrapping for survival and I'm still up and running.

As for being on the train, 3 slops a day from the Diner with minimal exercise in between puts more than enough food in the belly, but I always throw in a few Granola Bars and other small treats for grazing (and often end up bringing at least half of them back home).

And please don't use the heaters on the train, they stink.
Plus, it's a pain in the neck to find a "rock or something" on a train. :D

attachicon.gif
Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 9.19.09 AM.png
"Necessity is the mother of invention."

Finding an "or something" should not be a problem on the train. Three or four wadded up paper towels would suffice.

I've found laying the box flat w/FRH/entrée inside works a lot better than having it at an angle, because the little bit of water that activates the exothermic chemical reaction more evenly soaks the chemicals in the FRH.

Interesting. Thanks. Might be good to buy a case and keep the extra for home power outages, snow storms, etc.
I have gone the route of storing a 2 month supply of Wise Food (I am not endorsing them over any of the other food storage suppliers) and am looking at doubling that in the coming days. They advertise a 25 year shelf life. Food Storage is one of the most basic common sense things a person can do today and even though my friends think I am goofy we will see who is goofy when there is an EMP or other major disaster and they are out scrapping for survival and I'm still up and running.

As for being on the train, 3 slops a day from the Diner with minimal exercise in between puts more than enough food in the belly, but I always throw in a few Granola Bars and other small treats for grazing (and often end up bringing at least half of them back home).
A 25-year lifespan! Wow, that can't be good for you. Of course, the zombies will eventually get you anyway.

Food that had a 25 year life span probably glows in the dark! Sounds like something out of the 50s during the Bomb shelter craze or an episode of " The Twilight Zone!" LOL

And MREs, yuk, I'm not eating Military Field Food, been there, done that! YMMV

Our grocery store sells all sorts of powdered food. While stocking shelves one time I noticed this particular brand's powdered honey, which isn't bad, had an expiration date of 2044. I will expire before then!

Our grocery store sells all sorts of powdered food. While stocking shelves one time I noticed this particular brand's powdered honey, which isn't bad, had an expiration date of 2044. I will expire before then!
Well, honey is a different story. They've found honey in Egyptian tombs.

Food that had a 25 year life span probably glows in the dark! Sounds like something out of the 50s during the Bomb shelter craze or an episode of " The Twilight Zone!" LOL

And MREs, yuk, I'm not eating Military Field Food, been there, done that! YMMV
Apparently the bomb shelter craze is still alive and well in some quarters :p

Well, honey is a different story. They've found honey in Egyptian tombs.
True, though the regular honey on our shelves has an expiration date no more than a year and a half to two years out. And the other products from this same company have similar expiration dates.

True, though the regular honey on our shelves has an expiration date no more than a year and a half to two years out. And the other products from this same company have similar expiration dates.
From the National Honey Board:

Does honey have an expiration date?

Honey stored in sealed containers can remain stable for decades and even centuries! However, honey is susceptible to physical and chemical changes during storage; it tends to darken and lose its aroma and flavor or crystallize. These are temperature-dependent processes, making the shelf life of honey difficult to define. For practical purposes, a shelf life of two years is often stated. Properly processed, packaged and stored honey retains its quality for a long time. If in doubt, throw it out, and purchase a new jar of honey!

For what it's worth, I may be partial to MREs but I have very, very rarely ever bothered to heat any component(s) of them (doing so tends to require a horridly cold day for it to be worth the hassle). Most of them are quite good even "cold".

Realistically, the only situation I'd even want to heat one is if we were on one of those true FUBAR trips where the whole train literally starts freezing up...and even then I'd only fire up the FRH out on a platform at a crew stop (and make a point to keep the MRE in question sealed until said use, since IIRC the FRHs are allowable on flights as long as the MRE is sealed...and I'd be hard-pressed to see Amtrak be stricter on this point than the Totally Stupid Agency.

For what it's worth, I may be partial to MREs but I have very, very rarely ever bothered to heat any component(s) of them (doing so tends to require a horridly cold day for it to be worth the hassle). Most of them are quite good even "cold".
Agreed on "cold components" but if I am not in a hurry and water is available I will heat up the main portion. On an interesting side note, one of the true MREs I ate not too long ago had a package of Life Saver type candies that were sealed in BRIGHT Aluminum! I could just imagine being in combat on a sunny day, pulling that out and telegraphing every enemy sniper within 2 miles!

... *raises an eyebrow* for the simple factor of "to have had the experience", that makes me half wish that they had not bustituted me - it's not like I made the Crescent that night anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back