What's your "home" station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WoodenMike

I have two. Either Green River, Utah, or Grand Junction, Colorado.

I usually go to Denver, though sometimes I like to go to Glenwood Springs for a weekend at the Hotel Denver. Either way, the CZ through the Rockies is FANTASTIC!!!

I'm also looking forward to going to Seattle to visit my girlfriend. I haven't been on the train to the Northwest since I rode the North Coast Limited, WAY back when! LOL!!!

Now, THAT was a TRAIN!!!

Martinez, California. Home of 32 trains a day during the week, 30 trains a day on weekends. The Capitols, San Joaquins, California Zephyrs, and Coast Starlights all stop here!

The closest station, even though I haven't used it that much is Salem, OR. I used to use Portland, OR, more often since part of the Empire Builder starts there. Now that I don't have a car, I have to rely on others, so Salem is easier to get to. Fortunately, there are two Cascades, the Coast Starlight, and a Thruway bus that goes from Salem to Portland before the Builder leaves. :)

The closest station for me is Mount Pleasant, Iowa, about 70 miles from where I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I have on occasion driven to Chicago (4 hours) to catch an eastern train if the CZ is running so late that I would miss a connection. I grew up in Ottumwa, Iowa and that is the station from where I took my first trips into Chicago.

seajay

Sacramento, CA and NY Penn when I'm visiting the family back east.

Amtrak Station:

Newark (Penn Station), NJ (via taxi, as I'm in the same county), although I'd prefer to (and intend to when I'm older) board in NYP. All of the Amtrak trains I've taken have been to/from Newark.

Closest (non-Amtrak) Station:

Millburn, NJ home of the NJ Transit Morris & Essex Lines/MidTOWN DIRECT Service. (No Amtrak Trains though :( )

Sebring Florida (SBG) is home base. I use the silver service to commute to Miami on a bi weekly basis. I'm a firefighter in the Miami area and commute 174 miles to my home base of Sebring Florida.

The station in Sebring is about 7 blocks from my house. A nice walk through the historic section of Sebring.

Las Vegas, NM is the closest station, about 2 1/2 hours drive. If riding westbound, it is very expensive, probably due to mountains (more fuel).

Next is Lamy, NM, about 4 1/2 hours drive, is located south of Santa Fe. It is very nice place to walk if the train is late. Parking is safe and free.

If I need a checked baggage, then Albuquerque, about 4 1/2 hrs. drive, is a staffed station. Unfortunately, parking is very unsafe. Best way to park is at off-site airport parking. First drop off the baggage at station, then drive to off-site airport parking, and ride city bus (no changeover) to bus transportation center, next door to Amtrak station.

All of these stations serve with Southwest Chief.

If Sunset Limited change the route to northern Texas, then I would take that one, too. Someday...

Cincinati's Union Terminal, the most beautiful of all the stations I have seen so far. Too bad the Cardinal is the only train that goes through six times a week.

Viewliner said:
Closest (non-Amtrak) Station:Millburn, NJ home of the NJ Transit Morris & Essex Lines/MidTOWN DIRECT Service. (No Amtrak Trains though :( )
Well at least you've got Midtown Direct to take you directly to Amtrak's NY Penn Station. :)

Besides, there's always hope for the M&E line to get Amtrak service one day, dare we dream. :rolleyes: Although I wouldn't bet on Millburn being an Amtrak stop, if the dream ever does come true.

Santa Barbara, CA, here.

The Coast Starlight stops here in each direction.

8 Pacific Surfliners during the week and 10 on the weekends also stop here.

There are also numerous Amtrak Thruway Buses to various destinations.

This classic and recently restored station never saw this much passenger traffic during the Southern Pacific hey-day years.

We can thank this to Caltrans subsidies.

I can easily walk to this station from my apartment.

One of the main reasons I picked the apartment I live in is its proximity to the Amtrak station.

Could be Metropark, Trenton, or Philadelphia, depending on where I am going, what day of the week I am departing, and how long I will be gone. If Philadelphia, I drive to Cherry Hill, NJ station of NJ TRANSIT where there is unlimited and free parking.

AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
Closest (non-Amtrak) Station:Millburn, NJ home of the NJ Transit Morris & Essex Lines/MidTOWN DIRECT Service. (No Amtrak Trains though :( )
Well at least you've got Midtown Direct to take you directly to Amtrak's NY Penn Station. :)

Besides, there's always hope for the M&E line to get Amtrak service one day, dare we dream. :rolleyes: Although I wouldn't bet on Millburn being an Amtrak stop, if the dream ever does come true.
If Erie Lackawanna Could do it Amtrak can. To start NJ TRANSIT has plans for an extension into Pennsylvania (via the M&E, but I'm sure its a long way off). I'd like to see electrification to Hackettstown, and as the line gets extended. I'm happy to say I've seen a fair volume of Comet V equipment (and some ALP-46's too) as of yesterday. I can think of a few potential stops on the line which I'll mention later. B) :)

Amfleet said:
For you New Jersey railfans is it possible to travel from New York to Philadelphia just by NJ Transit and SEPTA?
Amfleet,

Yes it is, although one must change trains at Trenton NJ in order to do so. NJT and Septa actually do coordinate their schedules, to make transfers easier for passengers.

Viewliner said:
If Erie Lackawanna Could do it Amtrak can. To start NJ TRANSIT has plans for an extension into Pennsylvania (via the M&E, but I'm sure its a long way off). I'd like to see electrification to Hackettstown, and as the line gets extended. I'm happy to say I've seen a fair volume of Comet V equipment (and some ALP-46's too) as of yesterday. I can think of a few potential stops on the line which I'll mention later. B) :)
Well I guess it depends on your interpretation of "a long way off". Assuming that NJ and NJT don't drag their feet, is 4 to 5 years "a long way off"?

Currently they own all of the bridges, and either the ROW and/or the track to Scranton. Pennsylvania within the past two months authorized 43 Million to pay NJT for buying the Delaware Water Gap Bridge and for its share of the Capital expense commitment to the project. Assuming that they get federal funding in 2003 from the TEA-21 act, and NJT and PA can work out an operating agreement, you could see trains running to Scranton by 2006 - 2007.

As for electrification to Hackettstown, that's very unlikely to happen. First of all there isn't enough traffic to warrant the cost. Secondly once the Lackawanna Cutoff is back in business, most of the trains will go to PA and not to Hackettstown. I doubt though, that even the cutoff would receive electrification. So it's highly unlikely that they would electrify what I'll call the Hackettstown branch.

Ps. You can check out this web site for updates on the Cutoff project. They also currently have a great picture of the Delaware Water Gap Bridge on the home page.

Okay, Now I'm confused. The NJT Page doesn't say for sure that they would or wouldn't electrify it, as this is only a proposal.

Click Here for the NJ TRANSIT Page on this.

The map also seems to show an extension of the line (to Hackettstown)further confusing me.

Click Here. for the map.

As if it could ever make it to Chicago, or see Amtrak Service (Wishful thinking) I think it would/should stop at [under this propsal]:

NYP

Newark Broad Street

Maplewood or Summit

Dover

Mount Pocono or East Stroudsburg

Scranton

(the further...)

4-5 Years isn't so long off, so I guess assuming you're right.

Also if you check the NJT Page one other candidate project is to Electrify Diesel Lines.

Well, I've never heard any plans for electrification of the cutoff. So I'm not sure where you saw that. I very seriously doubt that they would electrify the line however, unless the service after two or three years is able to run at least 20-25 full trains per day in each direction.

As for the map, you need to look very carefully as its not too clear. The red line with the dashes is the new proposed Lackawanna Cutoff. There is a very thin blue line which breaks off from the red line about 1 inch below the word Andover. This blue line runs towards the southwest and just barely gets into Warren county. That line represents the current NJT line to Hackettstown. The black line that almost appears to connect both the blue and the red lines is merely the dividing line between Sussex and Warren counties.

I'm just confused because it mentions "Service to Hoboken or New York (via MidTOWN DIRECT)" on the page I linked you to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back