Whats up with the Sunsert out of NOL.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GP35

Lead Service Attendant
Amtrak leaves NOL ontime, yet its hours late before it gets the its first stop at SCH. Today it lost 4 hours in

that short 50 miles. Its time to reroute through BTR.

If I were a betting man as to the cause, it would be on two letters: U P :p

And you would lose. The railroad ownership is BNSF between Avondale (just west of the Mississippi River bridge) and Iowa Junction (about 10 miles east of Lake Charles). That is mileposts 10.2 to 205.4.

The delay might even be at the Huey Long bridge itself. Remember, the state of Louisiana is adding two new truss lines and replacing the raodways. They may tend to forget about a train that ony shows up three times a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
And you would lose. The railroad ownership is BNSF between Avondale (just west of the Mississippi River bridge) and Iowa Junction (about 10 miles east of Lake Charles). That is mileposts 10.2 to 205.4.

The delay might even be at the Huey Long bridge itself. Remember, the state of Louisiana is adding two new truss lines and replacing the raodways. They may tend to forget about a train that ony shows up three times a week.
I did some research and I learned a railroad line once linked Lafayette and Opelousas. You can still see the rail bed on maps live.

That 20 mile link could help delays in both freight and passenger service if it was rebuilt.

Because of UP it's DOWN ;) :lol: :p :eek:

Even though I had a laugh at UP's expense, George is Correct :)

I may be incorrect but from SP745's journey I think I remember that from West Bridge Junction (the Huey P Long bridge) to Live Oak (just west of the UP Avoldale yard is UP territory. BNSF takes over to Live Oak to Iowa Junction (almost Lake Charles). Another source for delay are bridges - boat traffic has priority (???) and an open bridge will delay them.

From Live Oak, the Sunset usually makes good time all the way to Live Oak, barring any crossing incidents. BNSF disparchers are great in keeping the mai open and Amtrak moving.

Sunset does use UP tracks when there are incidents such as barge hitting bridges, or derailments. Route goes thru Eunice and Opelousas, then into Livonia and down to Avonadle on the west side of the Mississippi River.

Lafayette Opelousas line was abandoned and ripped up many years ago. Don't remember exactly, think it was still under SP control. I do remember a big push to turn it into Rails - Trails but the adjacent property owners fought tooth and nail to keep the "undesirables" out.

If we had to guess, our bet would be UP or bridge traffic.

I have a copy of two pages of the 1976 SP ETT and it gives the following:

.....New Orleans UPT

.....East Bridge Jct.

10.5 West Bridge Jct.

11.3 Avondale

It also says:

NOUPT Railroad - NOUPT station to Southport

ICGRR - Southport to East Bridge Jct.

New Orleans Public Belt RR - East Bridge Jct. to West Bridge Jct.

Recent UPRR ETT shows "Avondale Sub"

10.5 West Bridge Jct.

14.6 Live Oak

14.9 BNSF Connection

However, the recent BNSF ETT shows

10.2 West Bridge Jct. (this probably should be 10.5. 10.2 is the milepost on the old T&P now UP Livonia Sub.)

12.1 Avondale

14.8 Live Oak

19.1 Salix

It has a note "CTC in effect MP 14.3 to 14.8 (Controlled by UP Dispatcher . . )

This area appears to be UP's only shot at controlling movement of the Sunset east of Iowa Jct.

There are 5 drawbridges in the BNSF section but only one is east of Schriever. The Mississippi River bridge is a high level fixed bridge.

The bridges are:

milepost / stream name

..32.1 Bayou Des Allemands

..73.3 Bayou Boeuf

..80.5 Atchafalaya River (approx. A-chaf-a-le-ya)

104.1 Charenton Canal

180.3 Mermentau River

Even though it is near dead flat other than the 1.25% up and down at the Mississippi River bridge, this is not an easy piece of railroad.

I might say I worked a few months out of Port Barre in 1981, and in many ways it was like being in another country altogether, and that is compared to my usual at that time stomping grounds of Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama. It is just a different world down there in the swamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back