What's Up with the EB in the PNW

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would a mudslide between Seattle and Everett cause 7 to get stopped at Sandpoint ID? What is to prevent it from going to Spokane and at least letting 27 proceed to Portland, and have the 7 get turned to 8 at Spokane and return as 8 with 28 coming in from Portland? Seems to me that only the portion between Seattle and Spokane of 7/8 should be affected?

I am guessing that's exactly what happened. While I like that status site, it isn't very good when there is something out of the ordinary. If a train is enroute and then a "service disruption" is posted by Amtrak...it either changes to the disruption status or just looks like it never left the preceding station.

Also, Amtrak keeps posting a "service disruption" for Train 513, and while it isn't going to Vancouver, BC. It IS running between Seattle and Portland, but yet Amtrak.com won't indicate it. Go figure...

Why would a mudslide between Seattle and Everett cause 7 to get stopped at Sandpoint ID? What is to prevent it from going to Spokane and at least letting 27 proceed to Portland, and have the 7 get turned to 8 at Spokane and return as 8 with 28 coming in from Portland? Seems to me that only the portion between Seattle and Spokane of 7/8 should be affected?
Totally in agreement.

Totally in agreement.
In fact, it could have gone to PDX with 28 and then the passengers could go to Seattle by connecting train instead of bus.

Burlington Northern Santa Fe spokesman Gus Melonas (mel-OWN'-us) said Sunday that the commuter train service along Puget Sound resumed at 6:15 a.m.

Passenger trains had been blocked for 48 hours as a precaution after the slide was detected by a sensor fence at 6:15 a.m. Friday. Debris covered 1 of 2 parallel tracks 2 feet deep along 20 feet.

Freight trains were able to roll past the slide on the parallel track.

Amtrak has resumed normal service.

I hope there aren't any problems next week when we take the Cascades from Bellingham to Portland. Glad it is normal again for now.

Burlington Northern Santa Fe spokesman Gus Melonas (mel-OWN'-us) said Sunday that the commuter train service along Puget Sound resumed at 6:15 a.m.
Passenger trains had been blocked for 48 hours as a precaution after the slide was detected by a sensor fence at 6:15 a.m. Friday. Debris covered 1 of 2 parallel tracks 2 feet deep along 20 feet.

The greater concern now is that impending floods in North Dakota or Minnesota interupt Empire Builder schedules and service.

The greater concern now is that impending floods in North Dakota or Minnesota interupt Empire Builder schedules and service.
I am headed out today on EB 8 and they say that service is normal.

I am headed out today on EB 8 and they say that service is normal.
Got home early on 8.

And why you would have to rely on an "off-site" site such as this one to find out the actual status of a train run by our "national" passenger rail service answers all sorts of periodic questions IMO.

And why you would have to rely on an "off-site" site such as this one to find out the actual status of a train run by our "national" passenger rail service answers all sorts of periodic questions IMO.
Here is why. All the official Amtrak site and Amtrak status maps show is Service Disruption, not the cause. Nor do they characterize the longevity of the disruption. If you read my original question, it was not whether a Service Disruption had been declared on train 7, but whether events should lead me to expect one. Amtrak (800) personnel were not yet aware of the disruption. Alan very acurately identified the mudslide and its impact. Thanks, Alan.

Sidebar: I thought that the inquuiry regarded another post

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?showtopic=31784

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back