What's up with #4 SWC today?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard it has a freight engine pulling it along. Not sure of the specifics.
My brother (not a railfan) was on this train from LAX to Lamy. Somewhere in the middle of the night he woke up to a stopped train and the power out. At a stop he saw a BNSF unit on front.

In Albuquerque, they put the spare loco on the front and took off the BNSF unit. However, after a very long stop in Albuquerque, they ended up putting the BNSF unit back on in front of ALL THREE P42's and headed out.

I have not heard what happened and which units were working or not working. They got into Lamy around 8:00 pm, 6 hours late.

From what I have heard, one of the original units went bad. They then added the BNSF unit. Not sure why. Even though acceleration would be effected, I would think they could still reach max passenger speed with one unit. With the BNSF, they would be restricted to 70.

I Albuquerque, the BNSF unit was cut off and the protect unit added. However, the lead P42 did not have functioning A/C in the cab so they put the BNSF unit back on. I am guessing the protect unit was facing the wrong direction and they were either unable to or did not have enough time to get it turned around so they put the BNSF unit back on.

The plan was to take the BNSF unit off in Kansas City and "flat switch" unit 117 to the lead position.

Not sure what flat switch means.

According to Amtrak.com, #4 departed ABQ at 7:20 pm, 6:25 after its scheduled 12:55 pm departure.

It arrived LMY at 8:34 pm, 6:34 late (scheduled to arrive at 2:00 pm).

It arrived LAJ (La Junta, CO) at 3:06 am, 6:52 late (scheduled for 8:13 pm).

It got to KCY at 3:53 pm, 9:02 [sic] after its scheduled 7:26 am arrival.

Last edited by a moderator:
but nothing protects the train from being stranded if the crew goes off duty before reaching the protect power and forgetting to tell amtrak they needed a spare crew or the spare crew is 12 hours away.

but nothing protects the train from being stranded if the crew goes off duty before reaching the protect power and forgetting to tell amtrak they needed a spare crew or the spare crew is 12 hours away.
When are you going to give up this nonsense?!!!! :angry:

Crews don't forget to tell Amtrak that they are running out of hours of service. I've told you this several times, they are required by law to inform both Amtrak and the host RR that they are approaching the end of their service hours. The have to makes several reports too, not just one. Failure to report this can result in their suspension and even loosing their license to operate trains. The FRA doesn't take this issue lightly.

If a spare crew isn't readily available it's not because the crew forgot to tell someone.

It's either that a fully rested crew was not available (most likely) or that perhaps someone at Amtrak's headquarters dropped the ball (probably happens occasionally).

But please stop blaming the crew!!!!!!!!!!

Crews don't forget to tell Amtrak that they are running out of hours of service. I've told you this several times, they are required by law to inform both Amtrak and the host RR that they are approaching the end of their service hours. The have to makes several reports too, not just one. Failure to report this can result in their suspension and even loosing their license to operate trains. The FRA doesn't take this issue lightly.

If a spare crew isn't readily available it's not because the crew forgot to tell someone.

It's either that a fully rested crew was not available (most likely) or that perhaps someone at Amtrak's headquarters dropped the ball (probably happens occasionally).

FINE!!!!!!!!!!!! i'll blame the FRA for not allowing spare crews to sleep in the sleeping cars till they go on duty that way you only 2 crews per train. while ones on duty the other rests.

FINE!!!!!!!!!!!! i'll blame the FRA for not allowing spare crews to sleep in the sleeping cars till they go on duty that way you only 2 crews per train. while ones on duty the other rests.
:huh: Crews seldom die on hours of service. It would be a tremendous expense to keep the crews sleeping in the sleepers. Not to mention your not going to find a lot of crews that want to be shuffled around in sleepers waiting for another crew to die. Its not something that happens with great frequency so there is no need to do something drastic like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back