Whats going with the westbound Cardinal (dep July 8)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2sk21

Train Attendant
In my upcoming trip next month, I'll be taking the Cardinal to Chicago to connect with the Empire Builder to Seattle. Even with over 4 hours between trains, I was concerned.

Using this database search, however, it seems that this ought to be a fairly safe connection however - only one missed connection this year so far.

So anyway I was looking at the live tracking map (http://asm.transitdocs.com) and the Cardinal seems to be over 10 hours late! Just hoping that this is a one-time event...

Tree on track

On FB 9 hours ago

Just got off the phone with Amtrak. 51 is holding at Alderson West Virginia for downed trees and power lines across the tracks. CSX is working to clear the line.

Last edited by a moderator:
51(8) is terminating in IND and will turn for 50(9). 50's passengers are riding a make up train to intercept while 51's passengers are being bused. It looks like another victory for the trees. :help:

Link to local TV news report webpage (instead of a problematical facebook link): WTHR 13: BREAKING: Woman and child injured in car-train accident on east side. A rough trip for the #51 Cardinal, but since we already have a thread on #51(8), perhaps the moderators can move these posts on the collision to that thread.

Excerpts from the report:

INDIANAPOLIS - Rescue personnel are on the scene of a serious car-train accident on the city's near east side.

It happened at the rail crossing at Burgess Ave. and Ritter Ave., just east of downtown. The female driver, in her early 20's, had to be extracted from the car, which was lodged under the passenger train. She was transported to Methodist Hospital in critical condition. A three-year-old child riding in the back seat of the car is in good condition at Riley Hospital for Children.
A quick look on Google Map and streetview shows the grade crossing has only crossbucks and flashing lights, no gates.

Edit: the crossing at Ritter Ave has flashing lights, the nearby crossing on Burgess Ave appears to just have crossbucks and a stop sign.

I'm on 51(10) for tomorrow. I hope it makes my connection to the Empire Builder. I've done 50 a number of times but finally am able to take 51 in the summer time to (hopefully) see the New River Gorge in daylight.

I'm on 51(10) for tomorrow. I hope it makes my connection to the Empire Builder. I've done 50 a number of times but finally am able to take 51 in the summer time to (hopefully) see the New River Gorge in daylight.
Good luck with your trip - I'll be taking the same combo in August.

Good luck with your trip - I'll be taking the same combo in August.
Another couple here with a Cardinal (-CZ) trip planned for early August. The track repair work should be complete by then and barring any ill occurrence we expect the train to be reasonably on time. In the past two years; we've traveled on that route for 2 trips to CHI and two trips back to PHL The average was a 5 minute early arrival and 10 minutes late to CHI, and 20-30 minutes late arriving into PHL. All has been good but this is a different year.

UPDATE: Cardinal arrived CHI today 41 min late. Late but not terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back