What's Changed - 2018 to now

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My last major cross country trips on Amtrak were in 2018, and I haven't kept up with the forum. I've seen changes mentioned but am not sure what all is different like food and dining cars and such. I'm going rail pass, not sleepers cars.

I'll be travelling:

20 Crescent, New Orleans to DC

125 Northeast Regional, DC to Newport News

84 Northeast Regional, Norfolk, Virginia to DC

29 Capitol Limited, DC to Chicago

7 Empire Builder, Chicago to Seattle

11 Coast Starlight, Seattle to LA

thank you for a heads up on which of these trains may have changes in food, beverages and stops.

For one thing, both the Crescent and CL have “enhanced dining” (boxed meals) and a “sleeper lounge” (formerly the dining car) for sleeper passengers only. There is no dining car meals anymore. Coach passengers only have the cafe to obtain food.

The CS no longer has the PPC. However, both the EB & CS still have a dining car!

The Crescent and Capitol Limited are now offering "flexible dining" meals which no longer come in a box. At this time, there are 5 choices for lunch and dinner, which are listed on the following link:
https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/...ts/menus/routes/Flexible-Dining-Menu-1119.pdf

Although not available at this time, in the future, coach passengers may be able to preorder flexible dining meals on trains that offer such.

The dining cars on the Coast Starlight and Empire Builder are still available to coach passengers. Dinner is by reservation only and the Lead Service Attendant in the Dining Car will walk through the train to take reservations. She or he will take reservations from sleeping car passengers first, so coach passengers may not be able to get their preferred dining time.

Last edited:
One plus, you have free soft drinks from the “sleeper lounge” throughout your trip. This includes coffee, tea, lacroix, soft drinks, bottled water, etc. you also get 1 free alcoholic drink, although I’m not sure how you get that because it was never mentioned to me when I rode the silver meteor, I also didn’t ask as it wasn’t really a big deal.

Back