what was the name of the NY-DC train that let you sleep for several ho

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by sleepybobcat, Jun 7, 2010.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Jun 9, 2010 #26

Bill Haithcoat

B

Bill Haithcoat

Conductor Honored Member

Nope, I do not recall set out sleepers at either of those cities at least from my childhood in the 50's forward. Does not mean that there were not, of course.

OF course the further back you go, the more trains there were. So some other train might have gone through at a more convenient tme thus making redundant the need for set out sleepers on some trains.

2. Jun 9, 2010 #27

sunchaser

sunchaser

sunchaser

Conductor

I think it would be a great idea to have set out sleepers again-of course that means Amtrak would need more sleepers!

I think it would certainly improve the notion of 'First Class', & be much more convenient.

3. Jun 9, 2010 #28

Bill Haithcoat

B

Bill Haithcoat

Conductor Honored Member

Of course a superliner sleeper carries so much more passengers than a single level sleeper, today,as well as in the preAMtrak past.

That means it takes more potential passengers to justify a set out superliner than the single level cars of the present or past.

ALso keep in mnd that when there were many more set out sleepers proportunately railroad stations had more set out tracks, more switch engines to make it work.I do not see it as a priorty for Amtrak at all.

Having said all that, it was still one of the coolest aspects of rail travell

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2010
  4. Jun 9, 2010 #29

railiner

railiner

railiner

Conductor

This practice goes way back almost to the beginning of Pullman service. It was a staple of their business, utilized primarily by "commercial travelers", nowadays commonly referred to as "road warriors". The business traveller would conduct a days business, have dinner at a restaurant, and then check in to one of these cars, get a nights sleep, and wake up refreshed and ready to begin business bright and early in another city.

The jet airliner, Interstate Highways, and the likes of Holiday Inns, brought the demise of this service.

5. Jun 10, 2010 #30

had8ley

h

had8ley

Conductor

The poor 10 and 6's just missed the advent of the Viewliners. I think they could have kept a Heritage car going, once the Viewliners showed up, just like they have been able to run the wheels off of the Heritage diners.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2010
  6. Jun 10, 2010 #31

cpamtfan

c

cpamtfan

OBS Chief

I believe one of the reasons the 10-6s went out the door so quickly was due to lack of plumbing, they didn't have retention takes. Guess where many a bathroom break went...

Now that I think about it, why didn't they refit the 10-6s with retention tanks when tey got HEPed? Maybe Amtrak thought they were going to toatally replace the Heritage fleet with Viewliners, but that didn't happen as planned.

7. Jun 10, 2010 #32

Bill Haithcoat

B

Bill Haithcoat

Conductor Honored Member

Well I could be wrong..but were not the 10-6's, the ones which were kept...and thus which became known as heritage...that they were re equipped wih retention toilets? I sort of thought that HEP and retention toilets happened about the same time on the old cars.

This would be on the old cars which they decided to keep and begn calling "heritage" from that date forward.

And maybe I am wrong.

8. Jun 10, 2010 #33

AlanB

A

AlanB

Conductor Honored Member

No, Bill, they were never given retention toilets. I rode in a Heritage sleeper only once in my life, on the Three Rivers about 2 years before its demise, and the toilet flushed directly onto the tracks.

9. Jun 11, 2010 #34

alanh

a

alanh

OBS Chief

It's probably not a simple matter to refit with retention toilets -- there was no allowance for the storage tanks, pumps, and sewage lines, so it would have had to been woven around the existing car hardware.

10. Jun 11, 2010 #35

Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Conductor

They were planning to do that, but that is not why the 10-6s fell off 66/67. A few Heritage 10-6 cars stayed in operation until 2002 or so on the Three Rivers. By that time, the cars were really falling into crappy shape, and the Viewliner was mostly seen as an upgrade.

Amtrak had decided they would not get retention tanks and in that decision, they missed the boat for any other refurbishing. Ever seen the way a building gets when people decide it is going to be demolished 5 years hence? That's what the 10-6 sleepers were like in the twilight of their lives.

VIA did it, and various private car owners have done it, so it must be possible.

11. Jun 11, 2010 #36

Donctor

Donctor

Donctor

Conductor

And Amtrak had to be granted a special waiver to operate them on the Three Rivers.