What Type Of People Ride Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What type of people do you find on Amtrak trains? I'm a grad student, live a block from the Amtrak station, and am curious what really draws people to ride. The recent fuel cost spike has made me think twice about driving or flying, but when I look at Amtrak it just really miff's me that they sell any tickets other than short commuter based travel. I see on-time percentages below 50%, it costs more, and takes 10 times longer. Am I missing something?

I wanted to go from Lafayette IN to Harrisburg PA, and the trip would take about 24 hours, have a 70% chance of being delayed, and costs about $200 more than a plane ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.Have you never been delayed on a plane?

2.Have you been stuck in an airport for a day(s)? Do you find being jammed into a plane with 300 people, screaming infants due to pressurization fun?

3. Are you attempting to book a fare on Amtrak during the summer and booking 3 weeks out? You can book 11 months in advance with Amtrak and pretty much cancel coach fare up to the day you travel with 100% refund and no hassles. Booking 11 months out gets you the best fare. Ever check an airline flight a few days before boarding? Generally alot higher.

4.Can you bring 2 carryons to the plane? No!

5.Can you bring 2 carryons onto Amtrak plus a personal bag such as a purse or laptop and not be charged extra for it? Yes!

6. The longest delay travelling on Amtrak I have had is 12 hours due to flooding. I was comfortable, well fed, got to sleep in my roomette, had privacy and didn't care. The longest delay with the airlines has been 24 hours. I was p.o.ed, uncomfortable, had 2 hours of sleep. Couldn't leave the airport because there was 400 people in front of me in the Customer Pimping Desk Was lied to and not given a full refund for the hotel I got to sleep in for 2 whole hours.

7. Do you have to be at the Amtrak station just down the street from your place almost 2 hours early for security and fight to find parking, pay for parking, leave your car there to be stolen, broken into or hailed on? No!

8. How's the food (itty bitty bag of pretzels) on your latest flight? Did it fill you? Did you share how good the food was on the plane with your fellow family members? Probably not.

I had never taken Amtrak until two years ago. Now I simply loath flying. I'm wired for 110 and always going 220, the train gives me an opportunity to sleep, read, doze, meet my fellow passengers, unwind and enjoy the trip. None of those attributes comes on an airplane. If you decide to ride Amtrak, keep your behind parked here, ask questions, learn about rail travel and don't hop on an Amtrak train blind. We are here to help and this forum was HUGE in getting me in the right frame of mind before my inaugural trip in 2006. :rolleyes:

The train ride IS THE VACATION. Or at least part of it. Much like the question, why would anyone bother to take a cruise to the Bahamas, when flying there is so much more quick.

At least for me, my kid and I can go "first class" (sleeper) to Orlando for only $100 more (round trip) than airline coach. Instead of having to stand in line after endless line at the airport, we go directly to the Acela Lounge. When the time comes, the attendant comes and gets us, and we take an elevator directly down to the train's platform.

On board, we get more food than I typically should eat. :lol:

While trains do get delayed, so do planes. And Amtrak treats me so much better, when it happens, than any airline I have ever flown with. I mean, once I am on the train, I have my room (roomette), and the dining car keeps feeding me. Try getting stuck on a plane that's just sitting on the tarmac for hours, and getting the flight attendant to serve you a steak.

Plus, as a personal note, I am very susceptible to blood clots in my legs if I sit for too long. On a train, I am free to "walk around the cabin" (ok, walk around the train), whenever I feel like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another problem you would have with a flight is, as I understand it, there are no commercial flights in/out of Lafayette, IN. You'd have to get yourself to either Indianapolis or Chicago to catch a plane.

The train from Lafayette to Chicago and then Chicago to Harrisburg has quite a wait time between trains. While that adds to the overall travel time, it would give you time to enjoy Chicago, have a nice meal, etc.

All sorts of folks ride Amtrak.

There are many people who, for various reasons, won't fly.

Many don't/can't drive.

Taking the train can be part of the entire vacation experience, if that is your reason for travel.

Yes, the plane can be less expensive and usually much quicker. Trains let you get up close with the country side and also with the other passengers on the train.

If you go coach, a quick look at fares show $78 each way from lafayette to harrisburg, so certainly that's not what you're comparing to flying if it's $200 more (unless the airlines are paying people to fly?). If I add a roomette for the overnight between chicago and pittsburgh, I'm able to find them for right around $100 each way, which brings the total fare to around $360 round trip for one person, but that's only $520 for two people, $260RT each. Looking at Travelocity for the same time period I'm looking at the Amtrak rates (mid-september), I'm seeing $400RT per person for Chicago to Harrisburg and $250RT for Indianapolis to Harrisburg.

What fares are you seeing?

Riding the train is SO much more relaxing than dealing with flying that I would choose it even for a premium (I have to live through those hours anyway, why not do it on the train?), but it can actually be pretty cost-competitive.

The train from Lafayette to Chicago and then Chicago to Harrisburg has quite a wait time between trains. While that adds to the overall travel time, it would give you time to enjoy Chicago, have a nice meal, etc.
Excellent point--it just occurred to me that someone unfamiliar with train travel (and comparing it to the airline model) might assume one can't leave the station during a layover and that there's nothing to do but sit and wait and eat awful food until the next train is ready to depart.

With train travel, all you have to do is be ready to board about half an hour before the scheduled departure time. "Ready to board" means having shown up at the station and made your way to nearby the gate. There are no lines or hassles to delay you in getting to that point. Thus, you're generally free to head out of the station and enjoy the city for a while.

Most train stations are right downtown, as opposed to most airports being well outside of town. When you exit Chicago Union Station, you're two blocks from The Loop, and have plenty of time to eat a good meal, do some shopping, stroll around, visit the Art Institute, hang out in Millennium Park, whatever strikes your fancy. Many stations have luggage lockers where you can stow your carry-on bags if you don't want to be burdened with them while exploring the city. Chicago does; I think it's something like $9/24-hours for a locker big enough (for me) to sleep in. You can also buy a day-pass on the CTA at Union Station for $5 and take all the buses and El trains you like, if you prefer that to walking around.

Everything the others have said are also excellent points. What it boils down to for me: plane travel is stressful; train travel is relaxing. Just about every angle of direct comparison between the two boils down to that: travel from home to the station, how much in advance you have to show up, baggage checking procedures and policies, agonizing lines you have to stand in, how much "hurry up and wait" there is, how invasive the security is, the quality and availability of food, the scenery, the ability to move about freely, the seat sizes and leg room and overhead room, the on-board service crew, the fellow passengers, the likelihood retrieving your bags will go smoothly, the proximity of your destination station to where you're actually going.

You'll encounter delays with both sorts of travel. When delayed on an airplane, you're stuck in an uncomfortable seat in a small cabin with no food and many grumbling people and unhappy children. When delayed on a train, you can wander about, get food, admire scenery, and chat with fellow passengers in a more comfortable environment which tends to lead to everyone being in a better mood to start with.

I've never made a friend on an airplane. I've made lots on trains.

What type of people do you find on Amtrak trains? I'm a grad student, live a block from the Amtrak station, and am curious what really draws people to ride. The recent fuel cost spike has made me think twice about driving or flying, but when I look at Amtrak it just really miff's me that they sell any tickets other than short commuter based travel. I see on-time percentages below 50%, it costs more, and takes 10 times longer. Am I missing something?
Amtrak basically does not sell cheap last minute tickets the way the airlines currently do. (Though in 6-12 months, there may not be so many cheap last minute airline tickets.) If you compare airline bookings 10 months in the future with Amtrak bookings 10 months in the future, do you see the same cost differences?

Whether it takes 10 times longer depends a lot on where you were going. I bet it doesn't take 10 times longer if you were going to Chicago instead of Harrisburg. Or Indianapolis, for that matter.

A lot of the problem is the sad state of investment in rail in this country. Whether or not you find the current service useful, it has some value in keeping stations intact that we will need in the future when we do invest in more attractive service. It may also be helpful in keeping tracks in place and keeping a relationship active between Amtrak and the freight railroads.

Amtrak has a limited number of mothballed 30 year old coaches and some spare diesel-electric locomotives, and otherwise does not have extra equipment available to meet growing demand, and since they're still operating under rules handed to them by the United States Congress where they're suppose to try to make a profit, the natural thing for them to do is to raise ticket prices. Even once Congress finishes working out the details on a bill that will change Amtrak's mission of making a futile attempt at profitability, Amtrak will have a choice between having last minute tickets being completely unavailable, or having them be pricy.

With investment in double tracking where freight railroads ripped up the second track decades ago, faster tracks, more direct routes, and additional rolling stock, a lot of these problems could go away. If you had a 15 year old automobile that took 6 months to get replacement parts for because Congress had passed a law rationing automobile parts, would you be wondering why anyone ever uses an automobile? Amtrak is about as neglected as that hypothetical hard to repair automobile, if you're trying to come up with a fair comparison between the potential of automobiles and the potential of trains.

I find travel by sleeping car extremely pleasant compared to any other form of long distance travel I've ever encountered. If I were going from, say, the Albany train station to Chicago, the wall clock time is pretty much irrelevant because of that pleasantness, and because I'd be spending most of the train ride eating and sleeping, and I have never slept so comfortably while traveling by any other form of land travel or by airplane. In pratice there's also unfortunately a five hour non-sleeper train ride between the Albany train station and Boston, but that train ride is still more pleasant than taking a plane to Chicago (or Indianapolis, for that matter).

I wanted to go from Lafayette IN to Harrisburg PA, and the trip would take about 24 hours, have a 70% chance of being delayed, and costs about $200 more than a plane ride.
That is indeed an example of a route that's just not very direct under the present system. I think with some serious investment, we could probably have an Indianapolis to Pittsburgh train that could continue to Harrisburg. Or we could have faster Chicago to Harrisburg train service (I think it could be done in about 4 hours if we merely made a decent attempt at catching up with the French). And we could have more frequent Indianapolis to Chicago trains that go through Lafayette that could shorten the connection time.

"What type of people do you find on Amtrak trains"

It partly depends on where you get on and where you get off. Some of us are tourists or railfans, some of us are commuters, some of us have no other wheels, some are reminensing (sp) about the days when train travel was in its glory. There are rich and poor, famous and infamous, students and professors, race fans, voodoo queens and priests. In other words, it's a stew.... pretty much like our country... and the sheriff (the conductor) travels with you.

Hands down, it's a more enriched way to travel than by plane. An airport has to be off somewhere to avoid disturbing its neighbors. A train may drop you within a block or so from the US Capitol and otherwise let you see something besides the tops of clouds. My knuckles don't get white when a train glides off nor do I lose the contents of my stomach as I might when a plane makes a sudden unexplained drop in altitude. Your seat neighbor can recline without putting his head in your lap and should you answer nature's call it's not as difficult a chore as it is on an airplane. I re-entered the Amtrak world after making a 300 mile monotonous drive, arriving frazzled and realizing the train paralleling the interstate at times was Amtrak. Now, I try to figure out how to make every trip an Amtrak trip.

We'll agree with Walt.... the train trip is the vacation.

Donna bought tickets in December to fly from NOL to PHL to see her son during the Easter break. The price then was the same as Amtrak's

Crescent. SHe was there in PHL before I got back to LFT. The train ride is 28 hours. When we left home, she hadn't slept well the night before, was nervous the entire trip to NOL (3 hours) and got upset with the delays at the security checkpoints at the airport.

We planned out vacation last December. We were going to PHL by train, in a sleeper. Several problems at my office caused us to have to change our plans many times. At one time, the trip had become NOL to WAS, and return the same afternoon. The trip was the vacation.

More changes forced us to change our trip to Chicago, then we were able to add a few extra days, so that it will be more than just the trip, but the trip is still the vacation.

We have to add, with all these changes we made, the employees at Amtrak have always had a pleasant attitude - " sure we can do that, not a problem, we're here to serve you ".

We're leaving NOL this Friday, watching the weather in the midwest, hoping for no problems...... we don't want to be bussed to Chicago !!!!

What kind of routing did Amtrak give you, and are you trying to go coach or sleeper?

I see two potential routes that are all rail:

One:

Lafayette to Chicago: lv 8:02am, ar Chicago 10:35am, cool your heels in Chicago all day, then

Chicago to Pittsburg: lv 7:05pm, ar Pittsburg 5:30am

Pittsburg to Harrisburg: lv 7:20am, ar Harrisburg 12:45 noon.

Two:

on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday only:

Cardinal through to Philadelphia, then Keystone train

Lv Lafayette 9:58pm, Ar Philadelphia 8:01pm next day.

Depending upon timliness of arrival, the Keystone train available would be at

Monday to Friday:8:15pm arriving Harrisb. at 10:00pm or at 10:45pm arriving Harrisburg at 12:29am

Saturday/Sunday/Holiday, 8:45pm, arriving Harrisb. at 10:30pm, a little close.

You could reduce your train time significantly if you get yourself to South Bend. According to Mapquest, that is 106 miles and about 2.5 hours from Lafayette. Slow time is because no interstate. Then, from South Bend you are looking at

South Bend to Pittsburg: lv 9:33pm, ar Pittsburg 5:30am

Your train time is now down to a little over 15 hours.

Also, if you went the Cardinal route (via Cincinatti and West Virginia), if Baltimore was satisfactorialy close, the arrival time there is shown as 6:46pm.

Note concerning the Cardinal: All stops Washington DC to New York are discharge only, so if you arrive on time in Washington, you could be arriving early at points northeast thereof.

Trains are not planes they stop at quite a few points other than their origin/destination points.

No, Amtrak may not sell cheap for the next day, Amtrak does sell their tickets by the "bucket system" - that is once a certain amount of tickets are sold, the price for the remaining tickets rise to the next "bucket". But unlike the airlines, these are not set days (like 30 days in advance, 21 days, 14 days, 7 days, etc...) Thus today's train could be in the lowest bucket! Try to go to the airport to buy a seat on today's flight for the price you could have bought that same ticket for 6 months ago! (Good luck trying to stop their laughing!)

What type of people ride Amtrak? All kinds - just like you'll find any other place! Just like you find people driving who stay at Motel 6, some MUST stay at no less than the Presidential Suite at the Ritz! And just like on a plane, some go economy and some MUST go First Class!

I was a grad student myself not too long ago (got my Ph.D in 2006), and I really enjoy traveling Amtrak in part because it offers an opportunity to catch up on work. I bring my laptop with me, plug it in, and type away. I've had some of my most productive sessions on a train -- I finished a chapter of my dissertation, for example, while en route from Houston to Tucson. There is a lot of room to spread out on long distance trains, even in coach -- the seats are about as roomy as first/business class seats on an airplane, plus I can work in the cafe or observation car, too.

Big kids, little kids, kids who climb on rocks!

Fat kids, skinny kids, even kids with chicken pox!

the first time i started a vacation with a long train trip, i arrived -- even counting a longish delay -- feeling like i had just had the best massage of my life. i was SO relaxed -- and this was after sleeping in coach. my first day off the train, i felt ready to run around and enjoy my trip, not just decompress from work stress.

something i love about taking the train when visiting my and my partner's families at the holidays is that our time on board is like our secret little vacation together, hidden in the spaces between our family time. if we said to her mother "we're flying up from little rock tonight, then spending the night in a hotel; we'll be at grandma's in the late afternoon tomorrow," it would go over like the hindenberg, but since we're traveling, we get some time together without family bustle, which makes us more ready to enjoy (or tolerate, depending) the bustle upon arrival.

on the train, you arrive downtown. when we had a 2-hour layover between trains in chicago last christmas, we trotted out and had bratwurst at the german fair downtown. we could never have done that from o'hare.

on the train, you get a microcosmic view of the world, different from the macrocosm view from a plane. they both have their charms. i love getting settled in our roommette, changing into the silk jacket i like to wear on board (hey, if i'm going to do a thing, i do it right), putting my feet up, and watching the sun set over the hudson while i sip my wine. to mangle emily dickinson, i like to see the the miles get lapped.

Just give him a free pizza pass to Giordanos while he's in Chicago and he'll be like the rest of us~ can't get enough of trains!
Give HIM a free pizza pass to Giordano's??? Hell, give one to ME!! :rolleyes:

I appreciate all of your replies, but I guess the current system just isn't conducive to my travel needs. From the types of replies I'm seeing, people who take Amtrak have plenty of time and like to meander along the countryside and want to see all the sites. Plus, they're really bothered by the crowds associated with airports and security. From my perspective, sure, planes get delayed too, but their original travel time is not already dragged out. Security lines really dont bother me much, and even at big airports I've never seemed to have any big delays. I traveled across France last summer by rail and know the amount of relaxation you can get on a train, but my wife and I still felt tired after a 6 hour ride in a 1st class quiet car. I cant imagine how a 3 hour, 9 hour, and 5 hour ride would feel within the same day.

Any way I try to look at it, there's no logical way I can reason spending that much money for that much travel time. Is there anything the average joe can do to help change the current system?? Pray to the gas gods that fuel prices keep increasing???

I'm from Chicago, a Bachinos pizza gift certificate would be far better than Giordanos! :)

One largely unmentioned aspect of Train vs. Plane - maybe of real concern to those I call "flyophobes" - is that in the event of engine failure one is not immediately placed in an emergency situation if riding a train. And you can't fly a train into a building. Air travel is very safe, and I actually like it, but for the best travel experience - taking purposes for travel into consideration - I'll take Amtrak every time if it's a viable option for me.

One largely unmentioned aspect of Train vs. Plane - maybe of real concern to those I call "flyophobes" - is that in the event of engine failure one is not immediately placed in an emergency situation if riding a train. And you can't fly a train into a building. Air travel is very safe, and I actually like it, but for the best travel experience - taking purposes for travel into consideration - I'll take Amtrak every time if it's a viable option for me.
Any plane used in scheduled passenger service these days is going to be built so that losing an engine out of its more than one engines just shouldn't matter unless the engine goes out of its way to destroy other parts of the plane in the process. (Many piston twins struggle to maintain altitutde on a single engine, and the piston twins also require typically more of the pilot in correctly managing the thrust that's all concentrated on one side; I'm not at all convinced that a piston twin is safer than a single engine piston plane, especially if the pilot falls short of being excellent. But I haven't heard of scheduled passenger piston flights lately (or even scheduled passenger turboprop flights, for that matter).)

Airplanes actually are slightly safer than trains per passenger mile if Wikipedia can be trusted, but they're both so safe that you can more or less count on dying on the short car trip to/from the plane or train if you die during your trip. When I took the train from Boston to Chicago last month and then got a ride with my parents (who were coming from West Lafayette) to Madison and and was talking to them from Massachusetts or New York, and they were wishing me a safe trip, I reminded them that the dangerous part was the part after they picked me up. (However, that whole trip turned out to be perfectly safe.)

On the other hand, people with health issues may find that as long as they're not travelling through an especially desolate area, an ambulance can probably meet a train at a station or a grade crossing much faster than a plane can land to meet an ambulance.

You could reduce your train time significantly if you get yourself to South Bend. According to Mapquest, that is 106 miles and about 2.5 hours from Lafayette. Slow time is because no interstate. Then, from South Bend you are looking atSouth Bend to Pittsburg: lv 9:33pm, ar Pittsburg 5:30am

Your train time is now down to a little over 15 hours.
My father mentioned to me that there is a shuttle van that runs several times a day between the Chicago airport and the West Lafayette airport; advanced reservations are required. I suspect that using that shuttle van and taking the L between O'Hare and Chicago Union Station would be sigificantly faster than a pure train route. I don't know if the shuttle van is a small enough operation that it might stop at the train station in Chicago if someone asked nicely.

Any way I try to look at it, there's no logical way I can reason spending that much money for that much travel time. Is there anything the average joe can do to help change the current system?? Pray to the gas gods that fuel prices keep increasing???
Call or write to your representatives in the United States Congress, and their counterparts in the state legislature. Those are the people who determine how much money is available to Amtrak.

Train travel is greener than planes or cars, especially if you have public transit systems on either end you can connect to. In my case, if I claim to be concerned about global climate change, I have to be willing to make some 'adjustments' when I travel to support public transportation.

You might think about time differently...for example, although train travel is longer, if you are flying to your destination and land in late afternoon, then stay at a hotel overnight and don't really start your visit until the next morning, staying on the train overnight and arriving the next morning might not really result in much of a time loss.

If it costs a little more...think of it as supporting a green cause.

If you meet some types of people on the train you wouldn't normally interact with...a broader cross-section of society will add spice to your life.

If you liked how the trains worked in France...we won't get TGV service here unless more and more people use trains and demand that kind of service.

I understand your feelings of getting there faster with a plane. I hate flying. I did it this year after 29 years of driving and recently going by train. I got in the plane in February and could not believe how squished we were. I could not wait to get off that plane. Yes it does take long to go by train but I do enjoy it especially when we have private rooms (not so this coming summer).

Type of people? My husband works for one of the "Fortune 500" companies and I am a preschool teacher. Taking my daughter and her boyfriend (both college kids).

I just consider it part of the vacation.

Exactly. I don't think train travel will just magically improve in this country if people keep saying, "Oh, I'll wait until it's faster and more convenient." If you want train travel to flourish in this country I think you have to put your money where your mouth is and ride trains as much as possible/feasible. Of course you have to weigh your time, schedule, and route, and it might not always make sense, but at least take a look before settling for a plane.

Speaking personally, I haven't taken a long train trip yet (I'm only 25!) but did take a couple short trips on the NEC last summer and thought it was great. This summer I plan to go to Seattle, and (living in Fargo) the Empire Builder is perfect. At least it sounds perfect, I haven't actually done it yet! It won't work for everyone in every situation, but from what I've read on here it sounds like it should be fun. I don't think I've ever called a flight fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back