What To Do When Relative on BOGO Ticket Can't Travel?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Purchased tickets on a BOGO deal for a short trip from Baltimore to NYP and a relative can't go because of a funeral. What is the best option?

I'm thinking if that one ticket is refunded it's either a refund of "zero" or it cancels out the other ticket?

Could I just find someone else to travel and put their name on the ticket without any issues? Easier to make that change in person, on the phone or online?

Though you could get caught, I think it's unlikely....if the person that travels with you is the same gender as the one who can't go, I suspect they won't even know it's not the person on the ticket.

That's what I was thinking might be the safest. I'm guessing they only do checks on long haul trips or border crossings, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: I called for the "official" options and because there is no value assigned to the free seat, it will be lost if removed. Best option is to modify (not cancel) reservation for future Saturday travel during BOGO event. (NYC in August though? I'd have to bring a change of clothes from all the sweat.)

Last edited:
Back