What To Do In San Antonio For 6 Hrs?...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nikhaeli

...in the middle of the night, no less. my sig-other =) and i went from IL to Flagstaff last year in Oct and wanted to go back to AZ this Oct, but the southern route instead so there'd be different scenery, but the 6 hour layover in San Antonio has us stumped- does the train station stay open all night and just let people hang out there- it's not really long enough to get a hotel. does anyone have any knowledge/experience with this layover? THANX for any advice! (we're headed for Tucson...yeah, <3 Tucson!! =)

;) (playing w/ the smilies) :huh: :blink:

oh, and yes!, i looove taking the train!!!

If you make a reservation on Train 421 (the through Texas Eagle), you will be able to remain onboard your coach or sleeper car and sleep through the six hour layover. However, if your ticket is split (CHI-SAS on Train 21 and then SAS-TUS on train 1), you will be booted off the train at SAS and need to spend the full six hours inside the train station. The station does remain open all night and will stay open until train 1 departs (even if it is late), but staying onboard a coach or sleeper car is much more comfortable than the seating in the San Antonio station.

Save yourself the hassle and book a through ticket on Train 421.

thanx sooo much for your reply! :) that's a load off my mind! if you DO stay on the train, can you get off for a smoke if...i mean, when, you want one? yes, i'm still addicted, though trying to quit! :( maybe the trip will help me realize i don't need them. we were thinking of getting off in Benson, and then driving down to Tombstone first, but i guess Benson doesn't have a car rental place. oh well, thanx again!! =)

You can get off and walk around the Sunset Station area or trolly/bus over to the Alamo and a trip along the River Walk. Of course thats if the #1 is running late.

well from the look at the pics of Sunset Station (thanx for the link to usarail, jccollins!) it looks like a gorgeous place...not too bad to be "stuck" in. and it would be good to get off for awhile. you have a very cool forum here. =)

I walked to a 24 hour Dennys with a group from the train..

Amtrak Flyer said:
I walked to a 24 hour Dennys with a group from the train..
it's great to know there's one within walking distance...thanx! :)

Keep in mind that the Sunset Limited is frequently late---so you may well not have anywhere near six hours in which to find something to do.

The freight railroads own the tracks almost everywhere and frequently give freights priority over Amtrak---and this route is especially noted for that.

what about going west? is can one walk over and see the alamo in the middle of the night?

im taking the texas eagle from chicago to san antonio in august. Is it going to be safe for me to walk from the station over to the alamo and the riverwalk in the middle of the night? Thanks

im taking the texas eagle from chicago to san antonio in august. Is it going to be safe for me to walk from the station over to the alamo and the riverwalk in the middle of the night? Thanks

The Alamo is not open all night.

Take a CAB.

The Alamo is not open all night.

Take a CAB.
Read about a guy who did that trip to the river walk and back on the SS LTD. http://www.geocities.com/rtabern/ click on travels, I think it was Jan 07. Robert is an excellent writer and has made some interesting trips. Jim55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back