What time are reservations opened?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chessie Hokie

Train Attendant
Concerning online reservations being available 11 months prior to travel...what time are reservations for a new date made available? I'm presuming in the wee hours of the morning, but a specific time would be helpful so that I can nail a low bucket before it disapears.

I don't really know, but if I were to guess, I might guess 3 AM Eastern (midnight Pacific). But I would think at noon or 5 PM on that day, you would have as good a chance to get a low bucket fare!

I don't really know, but if I were to guess, I might guess 3 AM Eastern (midnight Pacific). But I would think at noon or 5 PM on that day, you would have as good a chance to get a low bucket fare!
I would have thought so, too...but I have already lost-out on my first choice for a travel date for a roomette at low bucket (tried to book at noon 11 months out), so I want to make sure I'm first in line for an alternative date!

I would have thought so, too...but I have already lost-out on my first choice for a travel date for a roomette at low bucket (tried to book at noon 11 months out), so I want to make sure I'm first in line for an alternative date!
Did you confirm that with a phone agent? Given all the screwiness we've observed with online booking over the last several weeks, it's possible some glitch is the reason you didn't find a low-bucket roomette, rather than "someone already booked them all".... Checking can't hurt.

Did you confirm that with a phone agent? Given all the screwiness we've observed with online booking over the last several weeks, it's possible some glitch is the reason you didn't find a low-bucket roomette, rather than "someone already booked them all".... Checking can't hurt.
Good point...

Maybe this has something to do with this or not, but I've noticed large conferences/gatherings that are starting to list Amtrak as a means of transportation. Most recently, DragonCon in Atlanta, Wikimedia in Atlanta, Joyce Meyer Ministries in St. Louis, etc.... large one recently in New Orleans. Some are offering Amtrak discounts, so with all of the publicity being given alternative travel, space may be getting tighter farther out in time.

we have had the experience of trying to book a sleeper on the eb 11 months out and the rooms were not low bucket. checked back in a couple months and they were. i wondered if the rooms were really sold and then cancelled or if amtrak was just trying to get as many people as they could to book at a higher bucket

I am waiting for a date to open as well. One thing to watch out for... The calendar link does not always show all the dates that are opened.

For example, right now the calendar only has links up to June 18th, but I can select June 21 and get through.

I did the same a few nights ago. The system allowed me to purchase them at Midnight (EDT). I hope you were not trying to buy Capitol Limited sleepers dirt cheep on June 14 and 20.... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back