What line or where is the Chicago El actually elevated?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobnjulie

Lead Service Attendant
We are coming in to Union Station later this month on the Lake Shore Limited and depending on how late it is, we are hoping to hop on the Chicago Water Taxi, eat at Pizzeria Uno and then, to top it off, ride the elevated section of the El. I ran into it accidentially when I was coming in from the suburbs and transfered to another line - don't ask me which - I was lost and I ran into the elevated section. I've been googling and can't find it. I was hoping to get back close to Union Station since we are taking the Southwest Chief that afternoon. If time gets too pushed, I plan on calling our deep dish pizza order while on the water taxi.

This really is a bucket list item so any help would be much appreciated!

Most of the system is elevated. Off the top of my head, the only parts that aren't are the Red line south of Fullerton (through the State Street Subway), most of the Blue Line (from Forest Park to Division, and again Logan Square to O'Hare), the Yellow Line (just a short trip anyway), and the outer edges of Pink, Brown, and Purple.

If you're downtown, just go to the Loop, as there are nine elevated stations along Wells, Lake, Wabash, and Van Buren Streets. If you're coming from Pizzeria Uno, one option would be to walk south along Wabash to Randolph, then ride the Pink Line around the loop over to Quincy. Exit there, then walk west from Quincy, across the bridge and over to Union Station.

Just don't touch the third rail. Remember, it is the amps, not the volts, that will kill you.

Thank you! I was on the el underground and I loved looking up but again, I was lost and it was raining and it was the day the river turned green so there were massive amounts of people. I had no idea where I was. Riding the loop sounds perfect, especially in non-rush hour traffic! Now if only the Lake Shore Limited would just cooperate.

Back