What kind of train traveler are you?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On my Amtrak runs everything will fit inside of 2 Gym-type bags and I often carry a book-type bag for my atlases, timetables, magazines, tickets and such. My philosophy is if you cannot comfortably carry everything by yourself then you have overpacked.

If I'm traveling to a new city, I will study maps of the area I'm staying in and memorize at least the major streets and avenues so I have a good idea of the lay of the land before I arrive. I'll also figure out where Public Transit routes and stops are and plot courses to places I intend to visit. I'll jot down notes or simple maps in a notepad or index card. I find this type of planning to be very enjoyable.

Packed and ready to go 2 weeks ahead of time?

Overwhelmed with last minute details? (Me)

Somewhere in between?

A worry wart?

Nervous nelly?

All or none of the above?

With a little over a week to go I have to admit I'm getting a bit anxious that I'm running out of time; although in my case a relocation is involved making my trip related preparations a little more involved than it would be if it were a simple vacation. However, I tend to be a bit of a worry wart and don't fully relax until I'm on the train; but not so much that I can't enjoy myself. My Mom however is so overwhelmed with details that she hates traveling.

Thoughts?
I usually make travel plans months in advance. Try to plan activities then as well but open to changes all the way up until we are actually in the vacation spot.

I was a bit nervous about catching the train in Riverside as I had only detrained there and that had been 5 years prior. So went over one time when I was in the area to see where I'd be standing for a sleeper car, what tracks to be near, etc. It just made the day a bit more relaxed not worrying about being at the wrong spot, etc.

I enjoy planning the trip, where to stay, what to do, etc almost as much as I do going. I usually have back up plans for things to do and see in case one is closed unexpectantly or just turns out to be not that great of a place to visit.

Same as SarahZ (count # of days of trip, then count out # of shirts, pants, underwear, etc). Except I then divide by 2. :p

I'm flexible, somewhere in between. Depands on where I'm going and also which train you're talking about. I like to plan ahead but I don't book until I'm ready. When riding trains in foreign countries, it's often cheaper to book from within the country than from the US, so that's a catch. Nor really a problem for Germany, where I have ridden many trains with advance booking from the US.

My last train trip. A one night in Chicago.

Buy tickets 45-30 min before the train leaves the station.

Make hotel reservation while on train.

Make changes to return train ticket at hotel room before going to bed.

Arrive at Chicago station waiting room as the general boarding is called.

I travel like this, way too much.

Now on my last long distance train (multi - days). I did buy my tickets about 5-7 days in advance. But still grab my hotel on my day of arrival.

My last train trip. A one night in Chicago.

Buy tickets 45-30 min before the train leaves the station.

Make hotel reservation while on train.

Make changes to return train ticket at hotel room before going to bed.

Arrive at Chicago station waiting room as the general boarding is called.

I travel like this, way too much.

Now on my last long distance train (multi - days). I did buy my tickets about 5-7 days in advance. But still grab my hotel on my day of arrival.
Last minute trips can be a lot of fun, but at the risk of running double, triple, or even quadruple the cost of planning ahead. I can often secure decent hotels for $100 or so when scheduled in advance, but on last minute trips that same hotel might be $200 or even $400 per night. Likewise a carefully chosen Roomette might run only $250 while the last Roomette on the train could reach closer to $600 each way. When you run into high last minute costs do you back out, pay the asking price no matter the rate, or adjust your standards to something lower end?

I like to plan and do extensive research well ahead of travel time (I already have tentative plans for my Nov '14 trip). Unfortunately my job prevents me from buying tickets too far in advance as I have had my leave amended or outright cancelled more than once. I'm usually not nervous when vacation comes and I'm pretty good at rolling with the punches that are unexpected changes and delays. Packing isn't ever a problem, I have lived for seven months out of a single seabag, so I don't ever worry about it. I throw some clothes in my duffel put my golf clubs in there travel bag and I'm good to go. And finally I like to relax on the train. There is nothing more peaceful than sitting back, having a few drinks, listening to some music and watching America roll by out my window.

I plan my trips as far in advance as I can........ play with various options with the internet trying to shave a few dollars anywhere I can. Normally I carry a shoulder bag which always has a duplicate shaving kit and assorted neccessary products already packed. My bag is just big enough to keep me going for up to five days and still small enough to fit (barely) as carry on luggage on the airplanes I often use to get to the train(s) I plan to ride.

An example of working the internet to find ways to shave a few dollars......... recently I went to Pennsylvania for a concert by a phenomenal Austrian Brass Septet which rarely performs in the US. Because of the trackwork modified Silver Service schedules, Amtrak wouldn't work for the biggest part of the trip so I wound up flying to Philadelphia. HOWEVER, once there I did utilize the Keystone Service train over to Middletown, PA where I picked up a rental car at the Harrisburg, PA airport because the same rental for the same time frame was $135 cheaper in Harrisburg....... and with the rental car I could then access less expensive but still decent hotels out by the expressway instead of being limited to those easily accessible from train stations.

Oh....... and I should add that I get nervous anytime I finish a train trip of any sort without having the next one after that already planned and booked!

Last edited by a moderator:
That said, I still leave several bowls of water around, along with a few dishes of food.
I never bother to leave more than 1 bowl of water around since both the current cat and the last one refuse to drink from a bowl. They want it direct & fresh from the tap in the bathroom sink. The last cat would actually scratch the sink bowl if the water wasn't running and she wanted a drink. And a bowl of water, that was something to play with and splash all over the floor. So the emergency water bowl that was put out for vacations had to go into the bathtub.

They're really attached and try to block our path/the door when we leave for work. :wub:
Both cats would park themselves on top of the suitcase so as to try to prevent one from packing.

Picking out the hotel is my favorite part of the process. I study hotels extensively, on TripAdvisor mostly, and won't book a place that doesn't have photos (rare nowadays). TripAdvisor is GREAT if you're trying to find a hotel. I've been able to snag some great deals at places I might have overlooked if not for the good reviews. We got a hotel in downtown San Francisco for about $80/night.

During my impatience while waiting to leave for the trip, I'll often look at pictures of the hotel room and Google Street View the area just so I can feel like I'm there already. I'm definitely full of wanderlust. I hate being stuck in town for longer than a week or two. I don't like this city, so I think that's part of it, but I've always loved traveling.

I'm with the list makers, the day-before-the-trip packers, and the tripadvisor.com users. Hubby likes for us to book as far in advance as possible on the train. Took me quite a while to realize that the reason we always got assigned to roomette #2 is that's the first one given out. After I figured it out, I started requesting specific numbers to get the roomette I wanted. Yup, they were always open when we booked! Hubby gets quite impatient with my waiting till I have more time available before I book certain parts of the trip. I still need to book the bus for one leg of our December trip where there's no train. One of these days soon...

Another thing that Hubby and I do is to pack for walking. We love to walk, and it would be torture for us to travel with more baggage than we could comfortably haul around. For me, that's a wheeled carry-on size bag, and a small backpack for my reading material, netbook, and day stuff. Hubby pulls a larger rolling bag, wears a fanny pack, and we have a canvas tote we trade back and forth for food and water. We always carry energy bars, dried fruit and nuts, and water bottles so we don't end up having to eat highly processed junk food.

We're flexible about handling the unexpected, but like to go prepared with city maps and at least a knowledge of how to get around, and what's available to see. We like to make informed decisions.

I typically plan our trips. I start packing about a week before and make lists of what I need to put in. Try to plan everything out because there is a lot I need to do right before we go (Clean litter boxes, feed cats, timers on lights, garbage out of the house, water shut off, water heater off, heat (or cool) set, take dog to her hotel, etc, etc. etc.) which can not be done too far ahead of time. I worry the entire night before, the way to the station, and once i get on the train. I keep thinking what did I forget? Is the car going to make it? Etc. Etc.

Usually I can't relax until l am on the train and force myself to stop thinking!
I always book a hotel before a trip, near the station or the airport depending on how I'm getting there, this alleviates any car breakdown issues or other unforeseen delays. In Kansas City it's always some bridge problem and there are only so many ways to get over the Missouri. This way I can calm down a little at least and I often invite friends/family to dinner to help me launch my adventure; unless it's air travel, in that case my nervousness will definitely get worse.

Bingo. I get nervous about missing flights, so I stay near O'Hare when I fly out of Chicago. Some of the hotels have a really good park-n-fly deal that's usually cheaper than parking in the cheap lot at the airport; plus, it means I don't have to worry about a breakdown.

I'd take Amtrak and then the Blue Line, but my flight times never seem to work out with the Michigan train schedule.

Picking out the hotel is my favorite part of the process. I study hotels extensively, on TripAdvisor mostly, and won't book a place that doesn't have photos (rare nowadays). TripAdvisor is GREAT if you're trying to find a hotel. I've been able to snag some great deals at places I might have overlooked if not for the good reviews. We got a hotel in downtown San Francisco for about $80/night.

During my impatience while waiting to leave for the trip, I'll often look at pictures of the hotel room and Google Street View the area just so I can feel like I'm there already. I'm definitely full of wanderlust. I hate being stuck in town for longer than a week or two. I don't like this city, so I think that's part of it, but I've always loved traveling.
Glad I'm not alone, I also suffer from wanderlust and this is my 5th relocation. I also LOVE to stay mobile and not only travel light, but live that way as well. I'm a minimalist (no higher calling/cause, it's just the way I am) and my stress this time around is reducing (gladly) my belongings down enough to fit into my two pieces of luggage.

Google street view is great and my non-techy buds always wanna know such and such and I tell em to use that and they look at me like I'm nuts; I give them the same look in return because I can't believe they haven't heard of it and aren't already using it.

I leave in 8 days, so my nervousness is decreasing as I get various tasks completed.

I typically plan our trips. I start packing about a week before and make lists of what I need to put in. Try to plan everything out because there is a lot I need to do right before we go (Clean litter boxes, feed cats, timers on lights, garbage out of the house, water shut off, water heater off, heat (or cool) set, take dog to her hotel, etc, etc. etc.) which can not be done too far ahead of time. I worry the entire night before, the way to the station, and once i get on the train. I keep thinking what did I forget? Is the car going to make it? Etc. Etc.

Usually I can't relax until l am on the train and force myself to stop thinking!
No judgement here at all -trust me.... what is the longest you've left your cats alone?
When we had two, we left them for a week or so. Since we had three, I don't think we ever left them that long and had somebody stop in to check things. . It's is the most attention we ever get from the cats when we get home.
Thanks, Benjibear :)

My girls are feral rescues and I left them alone for 8 days in Jan. and I'm getting ready to do the same thing again.

Other than my 'baby' acting like I was a monster :eek: when I first walked in, they settled in quickly when I got home.

If I had a cat sitter, there's no way in hell anyone is playing with either one of them much less even seeing them.

The house is cat proofed but, being former ferals, they're all about self preservation and don't even consider touching or going near weird things.

I still feel guilty but they'd be more tormented and freaked out by a stranger looking for them than no one at all.

A bowl of food for each day and then some, also gigantic self waterers (made for big dogs) and favorite blankies on their favorite spots.

I also bought a Dropcam so I can spy on them and talk to them too - it worked just fine.

Of course, I still have people keeping an eye out, including the sheriff, and emergency contacts in place just not cat watchers.
When I managed apartment buildings I was always the resident "cat-sitter" because I was the only stranger the cats would get near. They heard my voice and saw me throughout the workday and as I made my rounds I always talked to them as they sat in the window. When performing repairs in units, the residents were speechless when their normally shy/fearful cats would not only come out to see me, but let me pet them as well.

Last minute trips can be a lot of fun, but at the risk of running double, triple, or even quadruple the cost of planning ahead. I can often secure decent hotels for $100 or so when scheduled in advance, but on last minute trips that same hotel might be $200 or even $400 per night. Likewise a carefully chosen Roomette might run only $250 while the last Roomette on the train could reach closer to $600 each way. When you run into high last minute costs do you back out, pay the asking price no matter the rate, or adjust your standards to something lower end?

I am 100% sure I don't get the best rate, but the day of need rate is not quadruple the cost of planning ahead. The problem with Amtrak's price buckets buying 11 months ahead is now top bucket. So even if you preplan your travels on Amtrak, you may not get the best rate. AGR point cost is the same 11 months or 1 day before.

I plan a trip as far advanced as I can.. Most LD trips are done 5-6 months in advance. I know work will not allow me to submit time off at least 90 days out, but I still go to my manager to double check and plant the seed. I also ask my co-workers to see if they have anything in mind so we won't run into a conflect.

Once the trip is booked, the countdown starts. :)

A week before the trip, I start laying things out on the guest bed. (Such as my power strips, chargers, other stuff)

3 days before I start watching the Status Map really close.

2 days before, I start packing my bags

Day before, do laundry on things I do need and finish packing the bag.

Day of, looking forward, and watching the status, and start planning my time to leave the house.

If we are gone for 3 days, I don't bother for a cat sitter. If gone longer than that, a friend of mine comes everyday to take care the cat..

I don't worry much about getting some where. Althou, I did once last year.. My partner was dragging his feet, and just as we were ready to leave the house, he was runing around unplugging things! (Problem solved now w/ smart house controls)

I'm generally fairly spontaneous these days (used to be less so) and will often book tickets in advance to get cheeper fares but then find myself canceling/changing them. It's a quick weekend trip I can often be really spontaneous like last weekend, my boss was away at the end of the week (and what I needed to do I could do remotely) and on Tuesday night I realized I could pull off a long weekend somewhere. It became a toss-up between Montreal and Washington, DC. When I checked the ridiculousness of last minute Amtrak tickets to DC (didn't realize low-bucket is now over $80, that would have made DC a bus trip) the choice of Montreal was easy. The Adirondack is always $65 expect for $71 on Fridays and Sundays. I was mad at myself for not booking a ticket on Monday night (when I was thinking but not sure I could) and lost out on NARP discounts for the trip up but not the trip back.

After deciding on Montreal I started looking up hostels (where I always stay when alone). I had stayed in one on a previous trip to Montreal (the HI) that would have been adequate but since Montreal has numerous hostels and I want to try some place new and looked at reviews on Hostel World and Trip Advisor. Wednesday night, I called up the hostel I wanted to stay in, the M Hostel, and am told they had 40 beds available and to just show up tomorrow night. It's a nice ride including Ocean View up to Montreal. The only awkward moment is when the customs official asks me where I'm staying and if I have a reservation for a hostel/ I get to the hostel and ask them for 3 nights I'm told they only have 2 nights available and nothing for me on Saturday night (just the woman's dorm that obviously won't work for me). I take the 2 nights knowing that Montreal has tons of hostels and that it isn't the peak summer season. I'll figure out Saturday night when the time comes. If worse comes to worse and I can't find a bed I can always just buy a Greyhound ticket for a night bus back to New York. Friday night another guy in my room tells me the hostel helped him booked at bed at a sister property nearby. Saturday morning I stop by the front desk and ask if they have any recommendations for hostels for the night. The response is "We're not sold out anymore I've had a couple of cancelations." I pay for my final night even keeping the same bed.

Sometimes planning last minute really works to your advantage! The hostel is one of the best I've stayed in and I will definitely stay there the next time I'm in Montreal for another long-weekend trip on the Adirondack.

I love Google maps and the street views. Before going to a strange place, I will always look at the stretviews. For safety, it is nice to know what you are getting into and what the areas look like.

For work it is great because as an engineer I have to go to many strange buildings. By looking on street views, I can see what the building and area actually looks like. I can also find the closest place for lunch.

For personal travel, I do pretty much the same but I will "walk" an entire area before going so I know what I am getting into. I have done this before going to cities like Boston and New York. I am doing it now for our upcoming trip to New Orleans.

I also use it for just sitting at my computer for something to do. I have been all over the world without leaving my house. There was also a game that used Google that would drop you in the middle of womewhere and you had to guess on a map where Google street views were from. If I had the time and money, I would travel all over, but I don't so I will have to settle on a view trips a year and to be a virtual tourist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back