What is the trick to purchasing a cheap sleeper?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I'll be the dummy here. What does "bucket" mean in the current context?
"Bucket" is another term for a price tag. Each Amtrak accommodation has a total of 5 different prices (Coach actually has 6 different prices, but the 6th is the Saver fare, which is 20% below the low bucket and not technically a bucket - so they say). The chart in Post #13 shows all the current buckets/price tags for the long distance trains. Prices for each day of travel are set by Amtrak in what most call a "yield management" process.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called and booked a cross-country trip seven months in advance. I may not have gotten the best fares, but on The Cardinal in particular I think I got a good fare because of some hocus-pocus the agent did by booking it in combination with another train. I have checked the website from time to time, and have not seen a better fare for that train nor any other. Maybe I should use Amsnag, but for me it is worth a lot to make my reservation then not worry about it.

They used to start with the low bucket when sales opened at 11 months prior to trip, but in the last year or two they seem to have started with a middle bucket. I don't think anyone here at AU has figured out the algorithm used (or if there even is one).
Or reload the unsold buckets with lower fares if sales have been below expectation. This would require a simple data entry; whereas selling the first space from a middle bucket would require a programming change, unless the system always had that capability but was not used until relatively recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back