What Is Going On With AMTRAK???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJRACER

Service Attendant
What is going on with AMTRAK and schedules??? I go on AMTRAK Status and everyplace I look trains are late. By late I mean 2,3,5, and even 7 hours and more. Is this a "slowdown" perpetrated by unions?? Is this being done intentionally by someone?? Is this due to the larger than expected ridership?? Its got to be costing AMTRAK dearly to accommodate people missing connections. It must really be upsetting many, many passengers, especially first time riders looking for an acceptable experience. Or is this NORMAL for this time of the year?? I know people will blame flooding, etc., but I see it happening in areas around the country where flooding does not come into play. Anybody have and answer to this seemingly growing problem??

There's flooding, and some cascading effects due to that, including traffic issues from backed-up freights. There's heat, and a few slow orders because of it. There was a truck on the catenary on the NEC, which affected not just Acelas and NE regionals, but long-distance trains using the NEC also. There's also a few trains whose routes are undergoing maintenance; reroutes and truncations, though expected, also will show up as service disruptions.

Is this a "slowdown" perpetrated by unions?? Is this being done intentionally by someone??
That's pretty funny.

I think it was Elvis and the Easter Bunny.

Perhaps it is a Communist plot by the Reds!

PJ, the issues vary depending on the route. There are many issues that as Ryan mentioned have been discussed. There are slow orders due to flooding and the heat, the truck on the NEC yesterday, etc.

What is going on with AMTRAK and schedules??? I go on AMTRAK Status and everyplace I look trains are late. By late I mean 2,3,5, and even 7 hours and more. Is this a "slowdown" perpetrated by unions?? Is this being done intentionally by someone?? Is this due to the larger than expected ridership?? Its got to be costing AMTRAK dearly to accommodate people missing connections. It must really be upsetting many, many passengers, especially first time riders looking for an acceptable experience. Or is this NORMAL for this time of the year?? I know people will blame flooding, etc., but I see it happening in areas around the country where flooding does not come into play. Anybody have and answer to this seemingly growing problem??
As noted, the reasons for the delays of the part several months are many: flooding in the mid-West and northern plains, bridge collapse for the Cardinal, track work by the freight companies in some places, track work to improve passenger service: Chi-StL and in VT, accidents, equipment failures, you name it. No need to invoke "unions" or conspiracy theories. Sometimes sh*t happens. Or in this case, someone backed up the honey wagon and just dumped the whole load. :lol:

Checking the Amtrak Status Maps, the west coast - California and the Pacific NW - is in pretty good shape, except for one #3 SWC running 8 hours late. The NEC looks like it is getting back into shape with a number of delays. Hopefully back in working order by Monday - or as close as the NEC can get to working order until Amtrak and the states get enough funding to get it to an actual state of good repair.

Chicago has suffered from some power outages yesterday and today due to heavy rain. Several streets were flooded as well, so I know there were signal problems in a few places. Many LD trains left late yesterday and looks like several did so as well today.

Just where did you pick up this union slowdown nonsense~ WAL-MART ???? :angry:
Maybe he meant "Union" Pacific. Their normal operations are a slowdown.

Hard for me to decide who I hate the most......UP or Wal-Mart. I'll have to give that some serious thought.

Lookin at the status map the west is still a sea of red, with the exception of Washington,Oregon and California.
Looking at a Weather map it's about the same. The morning reporter made a comment that it would be easier to mention cities that are under a hundred degrees than over. :rolleyes:

Aloha

Last edited by a moderator:
Lookin at the status map the west is still a sea of red, with the exception of Washington,Oregon and California.
Looking at a Weather map it's about the same. The morning reporter made a comment that it would be easier to mention cities that are under a hundred degrees than over. :rolleyes:

Aloha

With regards to the weather map, that's about right. While almost all of the rest of the nation is sweltering, it's been chilly enough here in the Pacific Northwest that the grocery store I work at is still selling out of Presto-Logs. :rolleyes:

Aloha

With regards to the weather map, that's about right. While almost all of the rest of the nation is sweltering, it's been chilly enough here in the Pacific Northwest that the grocery store I work at is still selling out of Presto-Logs. :rolleyes:
... and it is cooler in Orlando than it has been in the northeast for the last few days, however, I have not lit a fire in my fireplace. :lol: (I do not have a fireplace anyway).

PJ, the issues vary depending on the route. There are many issues that as Ryan mentioned have been discussed. There are slow orders due to flooding and the heat, the truck on the NEC yesterday, etc.
Not to mention random signal failures due to thunderstorms in the midwest, and also flash flood warnings after torrential downpours, leading to many hours of running at 15mph.

It is impossible for someone like PJ or anyone else, sitting in a comfy living room with access to internet, and too much extra time on hand ;) to know for sure what each delay is being caused by.

Cr

That was last century.

Now, the Reds are the Republicans (as in "red states"). :giggle:
Naw, someone's throwing tea bags onto the rails!
That will lead to very messy rails. Teabags are meant to be confined to tea cups or tea pots only :p and once they have produced the tea they belong in garbage cans. This is of course ignoring all other creative colloquialisms involving tea bags. ;)

Cr

That was last century.

Now, the Reds are the Republicans (as in "red states"). :giggle:
Naw, someone's throwing tea bags onto the rails!
That will lead to very messy rails. Teabags are meant to be confined to tea cups or tea pots only :p and once they have produced the tea they belong in garbage cans. This is of course ignoring all other creative colloquialisms involving tea bags. ;)
Oh, no, no. Take the tea out of the bags and either put them under plants (for fertilizer) or in a compost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back