What is a "rail discount"?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingee

OBS Chief
I check the prices periodically for my upcoming trips. I did one for a return trip from San Antonio next month. This time there was a discount that said "rail discount of $62". Now it is for travel on New Years Eve. Would that be the reason? Didn't get it when I made my reservations months ago.

The most common "rail discounts" I am familiar with are the 15% Senior Discount (62 or older with proper photo ID), 10% AAA discount (show valid AAA card) and the NARP discount (show valid NARP card).

What percentage of the price you paid was the $62? Was this off the coach fare or was a percentage taken off the room fare?

On a trip involving many "legs" which you are willing to ride in coach, you should check to see if the USA Rail Pass would save you money.

I assume you made a reservation for a roomette or bedroom. When you do, the "rail fare" reverts to the lowest bucket (level). That is the "rail discount" that you see.

Example: The lowest bucket for a specific segment is $75, but coach is now selling for $180. You buy a sleeper, which is actually the coach rail fare plus the accommodation charge. Because with a sleeper, the "rail fare" portion reverts to the lowest bucket, in this case you would see a "rail discount" show for $105! When you originally made the reservation, the "rail fare" bucket (in this example) was $75, so there was no "rail discount" to be shown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back