What happened to the Southwest Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Train #4 is scheduled to arrive into Kansas City today (12/19) at 6:30 pm, 11 hours late.
Looks like it lost over 5 hours between Victorville and Barstow and just kept loosing time through Arizona.

Victorville - 1:18 Late

Barstow - 6:44 Late

Needles - 9:24 Late

Kingman - 9:21 Late

Williams Jct. - 12:24 Late

Flagstaff - 12:24 Late

So, an eight and a half hour trip between Victorville and Flagstaff ended up taking 19 hours!

I would be interested to know what happened as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be the foot or so of snow received in the Victor Valley area?

All the highways in the area have been closed.

First frozen switches, then dead on the law crew. Don't know about Kingman to Willimas Jct.

Guess frozen up switches on Cajon are so rare they do not have switch heaters.

Last edited by a moderator:
First frozen switches, then dead on the law crew. Don't know about Kingman to Willimas Jct.
Guess frozen up switches on Cajon are so rare they do not have switch heaters.
That's my guess too. And between Kingman and Williams Jct is climbing the Arizona Divide (starting at the Colorado River at about 500 feet and going to about 6,000 feet), and that area got alot of snow also.

Yep, we really got nailed out here in the high desert at 3500 feet. 18 to 24" of snow. I flew back into Ontario Wednesday night and ended up staying in a hotel at the airport because I-15 was closed due to snow. It was closed about 36 hours. Didn't get home until Thursday about noon. Even then it was a 2 hour trip that usually takes 40 minutes. Lots of traffic backed up. I'm sure the rail line had the same issues. A lot of snow that usually sees a dusting at best.

Wb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back