What about the old stations?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer
Honored Member
References were recently made to the station in Cincinnati. Somebody asked a question about Indianapolis, whether there were railcars there used a hotel rooms. Nobody ever answered that. I volunteered that in Chattanooga, TN., one of the two former stations did have railcars as hotel rooms, calling itself "The Chattanooga Choo Choo."

I can further volunteer that in Nashville the old station is used a as a hotel calling itself Union Station Hotel.

Now....what can anybody tell us about other cities? Other creative uses made for former train stations? I think most of us know how well done the Washington,DC station is, with shops, food court, mvoeis, Amtrak, commuter and subways...but what about other stations?

The second floor of the depot in Ottumwa, Iowa (a 50's-era stone and glass structure that has a near twin in Burlington, Iowa) houses the Wapello County Historical Society and its museum. The Historical Society has some displays in the waiting area of this depot.

I wouldn't call the Ottumwa depot "great" but it could be pretty cool if they were able to fix it up and restore it back to how it looked in the 1950's when it was built. I don't know if there's any "financial connection" (other than rent) between the depot area of the station and the museum. I hope there is because my great aunt's estate just left the Historical Society almost $110,000 in her will! It would be great if they could and would use some of that money to help fix up the station! :lol:

seajay

well ive got an old station YTO now that there is another attempt to have another eatery (B&O)maybe well get the amtrak station updated somewhat...there is a security guard there (who is real nice) but having someone there would be nice also(ticket counter............I know im dreaming)but maybe when things are better down the road my wish comes true!!! the food at the b&o is supurb ....and I dont drink but the micro brews seem to be popular also,hopefully this one will make it

i thought the chatanooga choochoo was holiday inn...we stayed there in august

Last I heard St. Louis's old station is an upscale shopping mall. Some of the old SP stations that are not used on the Capitol Corridor house other businesses. The main one I can think of is Niles Depot in Fremont which I think now houses an antique shop.

To Guest coach 341235--yes, the Chattanooga Choo Choo is a Holiday Inn. Sometiems I forget and call it a Hilton because, I think, originally, it was.

How could I forget the old Reading Terminal in Philadelphia which now houses a portion of the Philadelphia Convention center and the Reading Terminal Market a great place to grab some really good cheap eats.

tp49 said:
Last I heard St. Louis's old station is an upscale shopping mall.
tp48,

Yes, St. Louis Union Station is a shopping mall. The old train shed is now the parking lot. It's really a shame too: this beautiful old station is a mall while Amtrak's St. Louis station is a couple of temporary buildings underneath an overpass. :(

Builder Fan,

Only reason I remember St. Louis is now a shopping mall is because a few years ago my aunt went to St. Louis to visit family and I asked them to bring me back a blue Cardinals hat which was purchased at the Cardinals Store in Union Station.

Richmond, VA's old terminal (not the Broad Street one that is right next to I-95) is now an Art Museum if memory serves me. At least that's what my parents told me.

Several major cities have abandoned stations most noteably Detroit's Michigan Central Station, and Buffalo's Central Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back