Western Travel questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat314159

Train Attendant
So I've done the STL-CHI-eastward adventures several times. At the end of September I am doing STL-KCY-ABQ and am debating the merits of leaving from STL which is a walking distance connection from home via light rail vs parking at KWD. I've never left from Kirkwood but avoiding the possibility of having to run for my last light rail home is quite tempting. Pricing seems to be identical and I don't need a station agent nor will I check baggage.

Second thought I doubt I will check my bag thru ABQ-KCY. I assume doing so would be fraught with peril in the even the Southwest Chief is sliding in under the bell for my river runner departure. Granted it's only been a bit too close for comfort or late past the 316 departure once or twice this month. I'm returning in a sleeper, so no screaming children kicking my seat to rain on my enjoyment of the view during delays.

I'd go with Kirkwood! Nice old MOPAC Station, less hectic than the STL Intermodel Station even tho there's a so called "First Class"Lounge in STL instead of the too small Bus Station seating.

The Biz Class Car on the River Runner is a great way to ride to KCY, 2x1 Seating right in the Cafe if you've never done it! Worth the Upgrade?

Union Station in KCY is a beautiful restored Gem but the Amtrak waiting room is a bus station like room with bright lights, hard benches and vending machines across from the ticket counter and baggage check area!

There is an upscale restaurant and bar ( forget the name) in the entrance hall but everything else closes up about dark and it can seem a little spooky wondering around the Station. ( there's a movie theater in the basement)

Good idea not to check bag ABQ- KCY, you can just store it in the downstairs luggage rack by the entrance doors and grab it and go when you connect to the River Runner!

Enjoy the trip, I'll be going that way in Oct. and have always enjoyed these trains!

Last edited by a moderator:
An evening in KC can be an enjoyable experience. Connected to Union Station via enclosed skywalk is the Crown Center shopping center. Also nearby, is the freight house with a couple of restaurants and the Crossroads arts district via the pedestrian bridge from Union Station. Sitting in the Amtrak waiting area could be a long and lonely situation. If you can store your bag ( If available?) there is a lot to see and explore.

We'll see what my connections do for me as far as how much time I have to explore. I should get at least an hour between MRR and SWC outbound. SWC to MRR is anyone's best guess how much or little time I will have in KC. If the SWC is ontime or only slightly late I will take the morning MRR or I have an 11a bus ticket (daylight arrival home :) and I'm only out $6 if I miss my bus). I doubt it will be my last KC trip. I really want to explore more of the area near-ish to home.

I need to call amtrak but I am going to change to KWD and skip the intermodal people watching this time. There will always be more trips to Chicago to people watch at Gateway Station.

When you visit KCY head for 18th and Vine, the old Black Entertainment District! (Cab or City Bus, its too far to walk)

The Jazz Hall of Fame and the Negro League Baseball Museum are in the same building and several great Jazz and Blues Clubs and a restored theater are around the area.

Right up the street is the original Arthur Bryants Bar-B-Q joint where all the visiting VIPs go! ( Presidents, Celebs,Athletes,Entertainers etc). Bring your appetite!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back