Western Amtrak Stop with easiest access to an airport.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the OP is 75 years old, I would not recommend that she ride the AF Skyride bus to the (Greyhound) bus station, as that can be a rather intimidately neighborhood for elderly folks.
No she should ride it to Union Station from where she can get a taxi or LRT to most hotels in the area.

Better late than not at all. I decided to skip trying to connect from Amtrak to a flight to Hawaii.

But, March 1st is returning to the East Coast time. So, I am flying into Portland at 9ish in the morning. That will give me plenty of time to find Union Station - where I am getting on the Coastal Starlight on to Sacramento and the CZ from Chicago Capital Limited to DC which is home.

Hope there will still be some nice snowy scenery in the Rockies. I treated myself to roomettes all the way. Anything I need to know? Remember, I am a little old lady.

Thanks again.

Peg

There is a light rail line from the airport that stops within a few city blocks of Portland's Amtrak station. There is plenty of snow now along the Coast Starlight and California Zephyr routes, and it will still be there in March.

Better late than not at all. I decided to skip trying to connect from Amtrak to a flight to Hawaii.

But, March 1st is returning to the East Coast time. So, I am flying into Portland at 9ish in the morning. That will give me plenty of time to find Union Station - where I am getting on the Coastal Starlight on to Sacramento and the CZ from Chicago Capital Limited to DC which is home.

Hope there will still be some nice snowy scenery in the Rockies. I treated myself to roomettes all the way. Anything I need to know? Remember, I am a little old lady.

Thanks again.

Peg
Peg...sounds like a great trip. Since the Coast Starlight leaves Portland around 2:00pm, you could grab a quick light lunch at Wilf's restaurant which adjoins Union Station. Nice atmosphere, albeit a little pricey....what the heck you are taking a trip of a lifetime!

The Capitol Corridor stops at both Oakland Coliseum station and Santa Clara station. Oakland Coliseum has the BART link to the airport which is very easy. Santa Clara has a free shuttle to San Jose Airport. Both of these airports have great deals to Hawaii. You could also transfer from the Zephyr at Richmond to BART where you can easily get to SFO after an hour ride on BART (that involves an easy BART transfer). Those are your options for the Bay Area. Hope it helps.

Also, in Emeryville, I stay at the Hyatt House Hotel across the tracks from the Amtrak station and Super Shuttle will take you to and/or from SFO fro $20 each way.

Even though the Airport Station is on top of the Parking Garage and the Downtown Station is across the tracks from King Street Station @ the Beautiful Union Station,I really like Seattle's Light Rail.

If you're a Senior with an Orca Card ( reloadable) the Fare is 75 Cents between the Airport and Downtown with frequent service.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the plane is on time, that will be a long layover in PDX. There used to be a nice lunch cruise on the Willamette River, which would break up your day nicely. I just checked and it still goes. Google "Portland Spirit" if you're interested. Also, remember that Portland Union Station has a lounge for sleeping car passengers.

There is a bus direct from train to airport. Costs $8. WELL WORTH IT. We took the bus but stayed overnight at the airport Marriott anyway.

John Wayne airport just north of LAX literally across the tracks
I think you're thinking of Bob Hope Airport in Burbank.

John Wayne Airport is south of Los Angeles, in Orange County, and doesn't have particularly easy access from the Pacific Surfliner route.

Just noticed this thread. We are doing the exact same thing. It is cheaper to fly to Hawaii from the west coast than flying from Amarillo. We are taking the train to San Diego. We will be spending a night in San Diego both ways to be safe. Found a hotel that has shuttle service to both the Santa Fe depot and the airport.

Just noticed this thread. We are doing the exact same thing. It is cheaper to fly to Hawaii from the west coast than flying from Amarillo. We are taking the train to San Diego. We will be spending a night in San Diego both ways to be safe. Found a hotel that has shuttle service to both the Santa Fe depot and the airport.
Just curious, what hotel... I might try that way next year. I am looking forward to a leisurely return to the east coast.

Actually I'd also be curious to know the name of any hotel with shuttle service to the Santa Fe Depot in San Diego. I visit SD intermittently.

Just curious, what hotel... I might try that way next year. I am looking forward to a leisurely return to the east coast.
Actually found at least three...

BEST WESTERN PLUS Bayside Inn - Shuttle runs 7-11

Holiday Inn SAN DIEGO - BAYSIDE - Shuttle runs 24 hours

BEST WESTERN Yacht Harbor Hotel - Shuttle runs only 7-5

Just FYI, these are not cheap. They may be cheap for where they are, but not inexpensive in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back