Went to visit the new STL station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RRrich

Conductor
IMG_0234.jpg

Nice looking building, serves both Amtrak and the Greyhound. Good sized waiting room - with Subway & KFC it you want. When I took the pics the waiting are was empty, then it started to fill - as I left a dog was arriving.

There was a first class lounge (which was closed when I was there) I assume it has free Wi-Fi as the waiting area seemed to, but you have to register for it and I didn't feel like doing that.

Seemed like a couple of hundred feet from the entry to the tracks - some stairs, but there are escalators and elevators by the stairs so no sweat.

Everything was nice and clean - most pleasant - I hope it stays that way :)

Pics of Gateway Station

I wanted to go in and check it out when I passed through on the TE last month, but the cold and snow kept me inside the nice warm sleeper! :D But it did look MUCH better than the old Amshack! The pictures on the inside look nice.

I wanted to go in and check it out when I passed through on the TE last month, but the cold and snow kept me inside the nice warm sleeper! :D But it did look MUCH better than the old Amshack! The pictures on the inside look nice.
My turn... my turn.... how do you know what the pictures on the inside look like when you stated "the cold and snow kept me inside the nice warm sleeper!"? Split personality? :lol:

My turn... my turn.... how do you know what the pictures on the inside look like when you stated "the cold and snow kept me inside the nice warm sleeper!"? Split personality? :lol:
There were 3 of us in the sleeper - me, myself and I! :lol: I stayed in the sleeper, but the other 2 went inside! :p

There were 3 of us in the sleeper - me, myself and I! :lol: I stayed in the sleeper, but the other 2 went inside! :p
WHO slept on the floor, and WHO got the meals? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aloha

Maybe he looked at the pix OF the inside that I posted? ;)

BTW I was at the station trading a voucher for 2 tix (B/C) to CHI for the start of the CHI - PDX - LAX - STL 2 zone out and 2 zone back trip that THE TRAVELER suggested

Thanks for the pictures.

The Amtrak website has no mention of the first class lounge in St. Louis, did it even look like it had been in use? Were there any hours posted?

Since the Texas Eagle is the only LD train through there, I guess the BC passengers on the River Runners & Illinois service would get to use it as well?

Thanks for the pictures.
The Amtrak website has no mention of the first class lounge in St. Louis, did it even look like it had been in use? Were there any hours posted?

Since the Texas Eagle is the only LD train through there, I guess the BC passengers on the River Runners & Illinois service would get to use it as well?
I picked up tickets STL-CHI in CHI we will get on the EB in a sleeper - so we will expect the 1st class lounge to be available to us.

Found this in a news release.

"In addition to easy intermodal connections, the new St. Louis station has free WiFi access, a Metropolitan Lounge for Texas Eagle sleeping car passengers and a food court offering deli sandwiches, snacks and other foods and beverages."

Still wonder about the business class people...

Amtrak sure is slow to update the website on details like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be very surprised if they allowed BC pax to use the lounge, as that would only lead to confusion at other stations like Chicago. I can see it now, "well when I came north from St. Louis they let me into the lounge, why won't you do that here in Chicago?"

I'm pretty sure that the lounge will be for Eagle sleeping car pax, those with a Club Acela day pass, or Select Plus members.

WHO slept on the floor, and WHO got the meals? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aloha
WHO couldn't make it! (He was out of town with the ball team - and I think his manager said he was doing so well, they promoted him to fifth base! :D ) Good thing too - it was a tight fit in the room! :lol: :lol:

I would be very surprised if they allowed BC pax to use the lounge, as that would only lead to confusion at other stations like Chicago. I can see it now, "well when I came north from St. Louis they let me into the lounge, why won't you do that here in Chicago?"
I'm pretty sure that the lounge will be for Eagle sleeping car pax, those with a Club Acela day pass, or Select Plus members.
...or people taking trains to connect to sleeper accommodations in Chicago and Kansas City, I'd imagine as well.

-Rafi

...or people taking trains to connect to sleeper accommodations in Chicago and Kansas City, I'd imagine as well.
-Rafi
I wonder about that - the sign by the door
IMG_0249.jpg
said "First Class Lounge" NOT Metro Lounge - possibly they will only staff the room prior to the TE's arrival Time will tell.

-Rafi
I wonder about that - the sign by the door
IMG_0249.jpg
said "First Class Lounge" NOT Metro Lounge - possibly they will only staff the room prior to the TE's arrival Time will tell.
Either way thats a nice touch for PAXs. Although I wish BC had some way to get into a lounge without copuns or select plus cards.

It's amazing what phone calls can do...

I confirmed with the station this morning that the lounge accepts Continental President Club cards, AGR Select Plus Cards, Club Acela coupons, coach and business class passengers CONNECTING TO SLEEPERS in Kansas City, Chicago, and Carbondale (thruway connection), and of course standard First Class Sleeping Car passengers for the Texas Eagle. The lounge is kept locked when no one is using it, but will be opened upon request and presentation of appropriate credentials. Apparently that policy is in place because of some Greyhound passengers making use of the lounge despite the signage. Apparently it's not officially given the Metropolitan Lounge moniker (instead referred to as a First Class Lounge for better or worse), as the ML and CA monikers are reserved for lounges that are staffed from inside.

Rafi

I don't doubt that this new station is better than the Amshack it replaced, but gosh I think it's ugly, in an outdated-futuristic kind of way. Too much brushed metal. I do like the colored glass in the corridors leading to the tracks, but the brackets the windows are in remind me of every 60s-era elementary school I've seen. Oh, well, if it works well as a station, that's the most important thing.

-Rafi
You're quite right Rafi, I forgot about those connecting to sleepers.

So are the Subway and KFC open? When I went through in February it they were under construction, and it was supposed to be a Pizza Hut and KFC.

Looks like a nice station. We hope the TE is on time or early into St. Louis on our trip in four weeks so we can get off the train and head upstairs to see it. First time on the TE and Sunset Ltd to LAX. Looking forward to seeing Dallas/Ft. Worth stations as well. :)

Railroad Bill

Thinking of what Rafi posted, the First Class Lounge in NOL is also NOT called Metro Lounge, and it has a "combination lock" on the door. Maybe they'll do that in STL.

I don't doubt that this new station is better than the Amshack it replaced, but gosh I think it's ugly, in an outdated-futuristic kind of way. Too much brushed metal. I do like the colored glass in the corridors leading to the tracks, but the brackets the windows are in remind me of every 60s-era elementary school I've seen. Oh, well, if it works well as a station, that's the most important thing.
It is a little funky looking, but seeing that they had to build it underneath an interstate, its not that bad. Maybe it looks nicer in person, I hope to get to check it out this summer.

It is a little funky looking, but seeing that they had to build it underneath an interstate, its not that bad. Maybe it looks nicer in person, I hope to get to check it out this summer.
I took the TE from STL-CHI earlier this month and thought the station was quite nice--the free Wifi is an especially nice touch, compared to some other stations (I'm looking at you, DC Union Station...) Only a couple complaints, really:

1. From a railfanning perspective, you're unable to see the trains arrive and depart--you have to wait in the waiting room until they call it.

2. The shelters don't extend the full length of the platform.

Also, not really a complaint, per se, but it is a bit confusing to not name the station's MetroLink stop after the station...and then name the next stop "Union Station" (for the old train station, now a hotel/mall). They should rename the stop "Civic Center/Gateway" or something like that.

--Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back