weekly specials

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exiled in Express

Lead Service Attendant
The T&Cs state that the specials are not refundable. I have plans that match up with some of this weeks offers and I am about 90% certain about the plans. If I end up not using these tickets is there any way to get some value out of them or would it be a 100% loss?

I would assume that when they say "non-refundable," they mean it. If you need flexibility, you should purchase regular ticket.

These Weekly Specials are not nearly the deal they used to be. You may be able to get a regular fare for a little more money and have the option of being able to exchange them if you need to.

I used to check the Weekly Specials religiously, but now I find it to be a waste of time because of the minumal savings and limited offerings.

"Fares are non-refundable and exchanges are not permitted."
The second half is the kicker, the ticket won't be worth the paper it is printed on if you have to change your plans in any manner.
That was the part I was concerned about. I didn't mind Amtrak holding the money, they will be getting hundreds from me next year. Guess I will fork over the extra $10 for the usual liberal Amtrak policies.

At least overall Amtrak ticket policies are nowhere near as bad as the airlines!
No they are not, and I like that too.

But from a "business perspective" I think Amtrak is silly not to invoke a "no refund policy".

I think SW Airlines has it about right. No refund, but you have one year to use your funds as "Travel Credits" on any SWA flight.

I really doubt it would hurt Amtrak's revenue 1/100th of a percentage point if they adopted a somewhat stricter refund policy.

At least overall Amtrak ticket policies are nowhere near as bad as the airlines!
No they are not, and I like that too.

But from a "business perspective" I think Amtrak is silly not to invoke a "no refund policy".

I think SW Airlines has it about right. No refund, but you have one year to use your funds as "Travel Credits" on any SWA flight.

I really doubt it would hurt Amtrak's revenue 1/100th of a percentage point if they adopted a somewhat stricter refund policy.
Shouldn't the purpose of adopting a SWA style policy be to increase revenue? If they were to even lose 1/100 of a percent then there is no point.

I would assume that when they say "non-refundable," they mean it. If you need flexibility, you should purchase regular ticket.

These Weekly Specials are not nearly the deal they used to be. You may be able to get a regular fare for a little more money and have the option of being able to exchange them if you need to.

I used to check the Weekly Specials religiously, but now I find it to be a waste of time because of the minumal savings and limited offerings.

I agree. A few years back, I rarely found availability for a trip I NEEDED to take, but I often used to make several uneeded trips based on some great deals on "Rail Sale/Weekly Specials." The deals now aren't enough to entice me into purchasing just for the sake of going somewhere when I don't need to go.

I agree. A few years back, I rarely found availability for a trip I NEEDED to take, but I often used to make several uneeded trips based on some great deals on "Rail Sale/Weekly Specials." The deals now aren't enough to entice me into purchasing just for the sake of going somewhere when I don't need to go.
Might not this be in part because ridership is generally up and continues to grow? Maybe Amtrak thinks they don't need to encourage ridership as much with deep discounts and liberal cancellation policies. For myself, the less attractive flying (full flights, lousy service, full body scans) and driving (increasing congestion, rising gas prices, poorly maintained roads) become, the more I'm willing to pay to ride the rails. Anf if Amtrak can actually improve service, that would be even more true...

I agree fully!

I'm showing my age
ohmy.gif
, but many years ago, I found an ALB-CHI fare for $19. And I also found a CHI-DEN fare for $19. And I found a DEN-CHI fare for $19. And I found a CHI-ALB fare for $19. And they ALL matched up for a same day connection - including in DEN!
laugh.gif

So I went 2/3 of the way across the country for $38 each way, leaving on Thursday night and returning on Monday morning - including a full day to explore Denver!
cool.gif

In 2003, I took a weekly special on the Cardinal from NYP to IND for $25.00, coach of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back