Weather while traveling the CZ between Denver and San Fran

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Train Guy

Train Attendant
Is this trip worth taking in November thru Feb from a site seeing and weather perspective?

Last edited by a moderator:
Several years ago, I traveled on the California Zephyr from Martinez, CA to Chicago in early December. The scenery was magnificent, in my opinion. I had no safely concerns.

Yes, it is very much worth it. The Zephyr is my favorite Amtrak train and I ride it as often as I can. I rode the Zephyr from Emeryville to Chicago this past January 2015 and will ride Chicago to Emeryville this January 13-15, 2016. You can check out my photos from the January 2015 trip here. And you can check out just the photos between Glenwood Springs, CO, and Denver, CO in this photo gallery. I thought the winter views were very good although January 2015 was one of the mildest January's here in the USA so I am hoping and expecting much more snow this year. Incidentally, the snowiest trip I have made on the Zephyr over the Sierra Nevadas was October 2013. Here are those photos. While you are viewing my photos, I welcome you to check out my travel blog and sign up to receive my updates in your email inbox. I have three rail trips already planned for January, March/April, and May/June in 2016 which I will document in my travel blog before postings photos to my photo galleries website.

There is snow now in Sierra and high country of Utah and Colorado. All if these areas will likely remain snow covered from now into May. Snow on the eastern Utah desert is less certain, but very beautuful when observable for a few days after a storm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is very much worth it. The Zephyr is my favorite Amtrak train and I ride it as often as I can. I rode the Zephyr from Emeryville to Chicago this past January 2015 and will ride Chicago to Emeryville this January 13-15, 2016. You can check out my photos from the January 2015 trip here. And you can check out just the photos between Glenwood Springs, CO, and Denver, CO in this photo gallery. I thought the winter views were very good although January 2015 was one of the mildest January's here in the USA so I am hoping and expecting much more snow this year. Incidentally, the snowiest trip I have made on the Zephyr over the Sierra Nevadas was October 2013. Here are those photos. While you are viewing my photos, I welcome you to check out my travel blog and sign up to receive my updates in your email inbox. I have three rail trips already planned for January, March/April, and May/June in 2016 which I will document in my travel blog before postings photos to my photo galleries website.
Reagan....I really enjoyed viewing your photos and reading your blog this morning. It seems you have a zest for life and travel...kind of like me! I look forward to continued reading of your blog and great photos. I'm riding the EB early in April and will share some photos here. Thanks.

The Rocky, Wasatch, and Sierra Nevada mountains in late fall and winter are simply gorgeous.

Literally "Winter Wonderlands" if you're lucky enough to ride the CZ after a nice snowfall.

Reagan....I really enjoyed viewing your photos and reading your blog this morning. It seems you have a zest for life and travel...kind of like me! I look forward to continued reading of your blog and great photos. I'm riding the EB early in April and will share some photos here. Thanks.
Thank you, Eric. I invite you to sign up your email to receive my travel blog posts as I post them. Yes, I love traveling.

One of our favorite Amtrak memories is heading into the Sierras from Reno on the CZ in deep snow (in May!)...we had the last roomette in the last car with no one across from us...we could look in either direction or out the back door window & all we saw was gorgeous wilderness covered in white...Views that no one driving on a freeway will ever see-one of those times we felt really, really blessed...we LOVE riding the train!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back