Waterloo, IN Station Improvements

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier press releases mentioned electronic signage and staffing. I would guess this involves a display of the currently projected train arrival time, and will enable the staff to start shooing passengers out to the platform a few minutes before, or more if necessary for those who need assistance. I'd also expect the crew not to close the doors if there are passengers on the way.

That said, it is a bit of a hike, especially when they load near the west end of the platform, a couple cars beyond the shelter. We'll see how it works out.
I was just at the Waterloo station this morning to entrain the Capitol Limited. Honestly, my favorite part of the renovations is the new parking lot - plenty of well lit, marked, paved spaces! No more weeds & gravel.

The new station building is nice, but small. The actual waiting area is only about a third of the space within the new building - the other two thirds is taken up by the community center, as well as restrooms. So, I'd guess only a quarter of the passengers waiting on a train could fit in there if they wanted to. Still, the availability of restrooms will be nice.

I saw no signs of any... signs. I went in to look around & check the status of the CL, & while there was a volunteer staffer there, they have no idea of the train status. I think the volunteer is there just to tell people where the restrooms are.

Thanks for the first-hand report. Waterloo is unstaffed as far as Amtrak is concerned, and given the recent trend towards removing paid Amtrak agents, I would venture that the odds of Amtrak placing an agent there are virtually zero. So any reports of staff on hand will likely be volunteers along the lines of what D.P. Roberts encountered. Some of those volunteers will likely be rail fans who know how to check train status. Many will not. I also suspect its unlikely that those volunteers will be present for the late-night eastbound departures on the CL and LSL.

Electronic signage may still be on the "to do" list, which would help (assuming it's updated in real time and not simply a scrolling warning about unattended luggage or what-have-you.)

And no, I doubt a conductor would deliberate leave if s/he sees people walking toward the train as if to board. But depending on where the train is spotted, and depending on how well that one-block with two street crossings is lit up, it may be genuinely difficult to see people who are trying to board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back