Washout detours CZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
I rode the California Zephyr Sacramento to Denver during one of the scheduled work periods a few years ago specifically to add Sherman Pass and the rest of the Overland Route to my map. It was a really nice trip but nowhere close scenery-wise to dropping down into Denver on the old DRG&W.

I rode the California Zephyr Sacramento to Denver during one of the scheduled work periods a few years ago specifically to add Sherman Pass and the rest of the Overland Route to my map. It was a really nice trip but nowhere close scenery-wise to dropping down into Denver on the old DRG&W.
Still, rarer is better even if less scenic! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree. If I had to ride the CZ west of Denver another time on either the regular route or the Overland, I would pick the Moffat Route a second time. It is stunning.

I disagree. If I had to ride the CZ west of Denver another time on either the regular route or the Overland, I would pick the Moffat Route a second time. It is stunning.
Totally agree, it's the main reason we travel on the CZ. That and we end up sleeping through Nebraska, haha.

Hmm, I don't find it that stunning. I like 79mph running across the plains better than slow running through the Moffat Route, frankly.

Hmm, I don't find it that stunning. I like 79mph running across the plains better than slow running through the Moffat Route, frankly.
To each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back