Washington Union Stations 100th Anniversary Bash

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lrdc9_metroplitan_sub

Train Attendant
Bethesda, MD (Washington, DC)/ Frederick, MD
Saturday and Sunday at Washington's Union Station 'till 4p. GG1 and many other historic pieces of equipment. Spotted the GG-1 in the yard today, with 3 old junk cars and an amtrak Dash 8 at either end (one new collors, one Pepsi). Will be fun. Additionally, Frederick in the Streets on Saturday and Brunswick Railroad days Sat & Sun. MARC will run shuttle trains between Frederick and Brunswick (3 of them). Will be fun (hopefully). I will def. be there!

Further, it's actually, to my knowledge, the 101st anniversary.

I will be there (in a way)!

I'm traveling thru WAS from KIN-ATL - on an AGR award. So I routed it to connect a WAS! :) But when AGR inputs KIN-ATL into the computer, the only choice is a 4:25 PM arrival! :( I tried to get an earlier arrival - but their answer was "No can do!" :angry:

So I am stuck arriving at 4:25 PM. :( :( :(

I'm traveling thru WAS from KIN-ATL - on an AGR award. So I routed it to connect a WAS! :) But when AGR inputs KIN-ATL into the computer, the only choice is a 4:25 PM arrival! :( I tried to get an earlier arrival - but their answer was "No can do!" :angry:
With "Multi-City" you can arrive at 2:25 PM. But be careful if you change anything now, because the Crescent is said to be Sold Out.

Rafi I heard about that from Russel and Greg, a conducters on the MARC train to Frederick. He (Russel) will be working thee shuttle train. Not sure who the other conductors are. Kids and Seniors: $2.50 one-way, adults $5, infants FREE.

Also, normal trains from Frederick are 3-4 cars. I have been told this set will be 10 cars long and will probably be colose to capacity. Not sure, but this was probably contracted to MARC by Brunswick or Frederick City, or both.

I will be there (in a way)!

So I am stuck arriving at 4:25 PM. :( :( :(
Thats ok too, since most of the equipment will still be out at the A and B gates. Just mosey on down and take a look. There will probly be stragglers still out anyway. If you go into the station just go through A Gate (by the mens bathrooms) and through the automatic doors to the platform.

Rafi I heard about that from Russel and Greg, a conducters on the MARC train to Frederick. He (Russel) will be working thee shuttle train. Not sure who the other conductors are. Kids and Seniors: $2.50 one-way, adults $5, infants FREE.
Also, normal trains from Frederick are 3-4 cars. I have been told this set will be 10 cars long and will probably be colose to capacity. Not sure, but this was probably contracted to MARC by Brunswick or Frederick City, or both.
Wow... I have yet to ride the Frederick branch (damned no-offpeak schedule!). Any idea what the shuttle times are?

Rafi

Dear Rafi:

Trains Depart Brunswick

10:00 AM

1:00 PM

3:00 PM

Frederick, MD:

11:00 AM

2:00 PM

4:00 PM

That is per schedule on brunswick government website.

Also, the 100th anniversary is better than expected, although the antique truck and bus show or whatever it was called is just an old (50's) Metro bus and a brand new flexi-bus. Inside they have a string of private cars open, an FRA track geometry car an acela trainset, and a string of sleepers and snack cars of both superliners and Amcan variety. The diner in the lash-up is, in fact, a cross country cafe and I can see why there are problems with it. There is a GG1, an E3 (purple), many General Moters F-whatevers and, today at least, a MARC AEM-7. Also a new MARC bi-level, but no single level or Gallery car (which is too bad, the single levels are the est cars in the system). Just beyond the station are the 2 Dash 8s (one new color, one diet pepsi) with some junk (what I assume to be "buffer cars".An old RPO and diner. Well worth the trip. Rail Passenger group also has a stand as well as MTA. HAVE FUN!!

I made it past today for about an hour and a half before setting out to plague DC. Overall, a very nice event. The private cars ran the gamut from the impecabbly preserved to the all out luxurious, as well as an RPO.

The most interesting Amtrak car I hadn't been in was the CCC. The Amtrak personnel there was quite hospitable and they had "plastic" versions of the regional menus on the CONO, TE, and CL.

Capitol Limited has added a Rainbow Trout and Crab Cakes to the menu, which the woman staffing the car (a regular SA/LSA on the train) said have been very popular. The Sightseer is still running on this train thankfully.

I didn't take a slew of photos yesterday, but this was one of those I did take:

GG1.jpg

I didn't take a slew of photos yesterday, but this was one of those I did take:
GG1.jpg
Great photo. I was there. Had hoped that they would have had a superliner coach as I am booked on the auto train on the lower level and wanted to see what the lower level of the coach was liked.

First time seeing the Cross country cafe and it's example of the meals served

With "Multi-City" you can arrive at 2:25 PM. But be careful if you change anything now, because the Crescent is said to be Sold Out.
Yes, I know, but for an award, you MUST call AGR. They will only put in "A" to "B", they can not any longer book piecemeal. Whatever choices come up on the screen is all they can book!

FYI - I arrived from KIN 30 minutes late anyway! :( So I didn't get to WAS until 5 PM and the Crescent boarded about 6 PM - not leaving much time. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back