Washington to Washington (or coast to coast)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stonesfan

Service Attendant
Hi

Am planning on a few nights in DC, then the Capitol Ltd to Chicago Union. A night in Chicago and then be taking the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle. Has anyone else done this trip? Am probably going to suffer coach on the Capitol, but definately a roomette on the EB. Anyone else done this trip??

Always been an ambition to do coast to coast in the US.

Cheers

we live in eastern washington state and have gone to the other washington and back from there. we really enjoyed washington, dc. do not miss the holocaust museum in dc. not fun but life changing, we feel. you might consider taking the california zephyr from chicago rather than the empire builder. don't know when you are going but the empire builder has not been running on schedule. also, the zephyr has superior scenery. you could detrain in sacramento and take the coast starlight to seattle

I concur with yarrow. I've taken both the CZ and the CS and these are my top 2 favorite LD routes. If you can afford it then book a roommette on both. You won't be disapointed :rolleyes:

I just did the EB summer. Despite the issues that the EB has been having, I thought the scenery was majestic and glorious. I don't know if you are on a schedule, but taking the California Zephyr to the Coast Starlight will add an additional day to your trip.

Enjoy!

Hi

Am planning on a few nights in DC, then the Capitol Ltd to Chicago Union. A night in Chicago and then be taking the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle. Has anyone else done this trip? Am probably going to suffer coach on the Capitol, but definately a roomette on the EB. Anyone else done this trip??

Always been an ambition to do coast to coast in the US.

Cheers
Me Too! I just booked this exact trip for January 2013( except I'm going straight through without an overnight in Chicago). I've got a roomette for both legs of the trip. Can't wait to see Montana, et al in the snow. I'm already excited.

I really like the EB! The barren plains and mountains combined, middle of nowhere, totally awesome! Edges out the CZ, which has lots of boring (to me) slow running. I enjoyed the EB's 79 mph running in the plains, but there are currently heat restrctions which reduce speed to 60 mph. Hope things cool down by the time you go!

Stick with the EB, I wish I could do it again!

Did the EB Chicago to Whitefish in early June, before the difficulties started. I loved it.

The scenery coming through Glacier is stunning, and watching the sunset over the Mississippi in Minnesota is nice too. Eastern Montana is not what most people would call attractive, with a lot of high plains and rough-and-ready railroad towns. But there's something interesting about seeing these towns too, and they're certainly different from anything you'll see in England.

As for the EB versus CZ, they are both splendid trips. I personally preferred the CZ but I can see the arguments for both. One difference I noticed is that the EB feels much more like a working train, especially now with the oil boom around Williston. It struck me that many more people are using the EB as a point-to-point practical mode of transportation, while the CZ seemed more touristy, with a lot more people snapping their cameras and on board for the experience of rail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Home base for me is Washington, and I've taken the Capitol several times. I did it in coach once, and it's not too bad. The trip is fairly short. Still, I prefer a roomette.

The full Builder, I've done once, and it was eastbound, from Portland to Chicago. It's a very nice trip. I agree with Swadian that the barren prairie has a strange beauty to it. And at some point, you'll catch your first glimpse of the Rockies, as they start to rise above the horizon. And then you'll go right through them.

On one recent trip, I stayed in a Holiday Inn (Express?) about 2 blocks south of Chicago Union Station. It was a nice hotel, not too far from the train station, and near the L stop at Clinton on the Blue Line.

Should be a good trip. Enjoy!

Thanks for all this. I've actually done the Zephyr to SLC which was an experience. Am planning to do that again next year with the Starlight too. Have just booked up a roomette for 2 on the Sunday afternoon EB on Sept 23rd. $750 total seems pretty reasonable considering you get to eat for free.

I presume the accomodation is exactly the same as the Zephyr? Ie 6'4 me gets the lower bed, 5'3 her gets the upper!

Thanks for all this. I've actually done the Zephyr to SLC which was an experience. Am planning to do that again next year with the Starlight too. Have just booked up a roomette for 2 on the Sunday afternoon EB on Sept 23rd. $750 total seems pretty reasonable considering you get to eat for free.

I presume the accomodation is exactly the same as the Zephyr? Ie 6'4 me gets the lower bed, 5'3 her gets the upper!
yup, the superliner cars are the same. enjoy. we are booked on the eb to and through washington, dc in mid-september. let's hope it's running close to on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back