Washington DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We will have a 2-3 hours layover, if on time, in Washington DC, before boarding the Capitol Limited to Chicago.

Does anyone have any ideas on what can be seen/visited in this short window of time?????????????

Any added comments about the Capitol Limited, we have a bedroom and it's my daughters (12 years old) first overnight train trip ????

Thanks

Washington's metro system station is downstairs in Union Station. You'll be within minutes of almost every major museum. My favorite is the National History Museum.

The National Postal Museum is across the street from the station. It's small and wouldn't take more than 1/2 hour to go through.

Also, there's a theater on the lower level by the food court if you'd like to see a movie.

Depending on the timing, you can catch a tour bus from the front of the station, it will bring you around to see some of the major sights in under 2 hours. There are a couple companies that do a tour, for the cheap one I took get ticket out front, for the more expensive option you can purchase tickets inside the station near the front door.

If time gets tight I would just hang at Washington Union Station. (WUS) Do a google search of that place and you will find out how magnificent that building is. I have a coffee table pictorial book of WUS on my well....coffee table! :lol: With having the bedroom you will be considered "First Class" so that entitles you to hang out in the Metropolitan Lounge at WUS. Thats a more private and quiet place to "wait" for the train as well. You can also check your carryon baggage at the lounge so you don't have to be lugging that all over WUS or in DC. The "Cap" is a wonderful train in my book. I was surprised at how cool the scenery was after leaving DC. I enjoyed my trip very much when I traveled on the Capital Limited. I also sat in WUS for 2 hours people watching one day. We had a hotel in an outer burb and it didn't make much sense to travel clear out to the hotel to come right back in so my whole family just hung out at WUS shopping, walking, gawking and people watching.

We will have a 2-3 hours layover, if on time, in Washington DC, before boarding the Capitol Limited to Chicago.
Does anyone have any ideas on what can be seen/visited in this short window of time?????????????

Any added comments about the Capitol Limited, we have a bedroom and it's my daughters (12 years old) first overnight train trip ????

Thanks

If it is a nice day just take the metro down to the Mall and walk around and look at the different memorials. That will expend 1+ hours of a layover.

Depending on the timing, you can catch a tour bus from the front of the station, it will bring you around to see some of the major sights in under 2 hours. There are a couple companies that do a tour, for the cheap one I took get ticket out front, for the more expensive option you can purchase tickets inside the station near the front door.

Here is a link to the website of the trolley company MrEd mentioned. Old Town Trolley

They offer hop on/hop off service, but with only 2-3 hours, if you decide to get tickets, you might just want to stay on and see the sights from the trolley. Go check out the website for a map of the sights and prices..

I think your daughter should love the ride, especially since you got a bedroom. Harper's Ferry is a stop not too far out of DC and is probably the most scenic stop on the capitol limited. You might even want to look at the schedule, and time your dinner reservations around this stop, although dining anywhere on the route after you get out of the city and before dark is nice on the CL.

One thing I always love doing in DC is touring the Capitol building... if you call ahead to your Senator or Representative's office, you can request a "Staff Led Tour" which allows you to skip the LOOOONG lines at the visitor center. Plus, with the smaller groups in the Staff Led tours, you stand a better chance of getting all of your questions answered... and sometimes your tour can include things not typically included in the public tour. For example, I was able to go onto the House Floor during one of the Staff Led tours my Representative's office set up (The House wasn't in session, but it was still amazing!) I also got to ride on one branch of the Capitol Subway during one of my tours :)

One thing I always love doing in DC is touring the Capitol building... if you call ahead to your Senator or Representative's office, you can request a "Staff Led Tour" which allows you to skip the LOOOONG lines at the visitor center. Plus, with the smaller groups in the Staff Led tours, you stand a better chance of getting all of your questions answered... and sometimes your tour can include things not typically included in the public tour. For example, I was able to go onto the House Floor during one of the Staff Led tours my Representative's office set up (The House wasn't in session, but it was still amazing!) I also got to ride on one branch of the Capitol Subway during one of my tours :)
You can also book a free U.S. Capitol tour online at:

http://www.visitthecapitol.gov

With having the bedroom you will be considered "First Class" so that entitles you to hang out in the Metropolitan Lounge at WUS. Thats a more private and quiet place to "wait" for the train as well. You can also check your carryon baggage at the lounge so you don't have to be lugging that all over WUS or in DC.
Just one note in Washington DC its called the Club Acela. I agree its well worth the visit as they will board you early for the train there.

Given the small amount of time, I'd be afraid to wander too far from the station. I'd suggest just going for a quick walk - here's a quick walk that google says will take 1 hour, and takes you past the Air & Space museum that you can go spend some time in. It can also be modified slightly to take you past the National Archives instead, which is good for a quick visit on the Declaration of Independence.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source...e=UTF8&z=15

Also, there's a theater on the lower level by the food court if you'd like to see a movie.
Sadly, it closed a few weeks ago.

If time gets tight I would just hang at Washington Union Station. (WAS)
;)
My fiancee works in the CVC, this is a great idea - you can also ask for a "Dome Tour". They're lead by the actual member (not a staffer) and you get to go up into the dome, and outside up near the top. I've never done one, but she's scheduled to go on one for training in the near future and rubs it in my face constantly. :) It's highly unlikely that the Member will actually have time to do it, but it can never hurt to ask.

We just got back from 5 day trip to DC. Club Acela was great, able to leave bags, quiet and able to relax before boarding.

Some thoughts

- First, I also, would be concerned about layover time. it is short. Club Acela attendant will want you back to the lounge 45 min before train departs

- Station theaters are closed

- Postal Museum right across the street is very close and a "doable" museum in the short time frame you have.

- You can also walk easily to Supreme Court Building and Library of Congress.

- Capital also is a short walk but a tour would not fit in time frame you have. You need to factor in standing in lines and processing through security at the Visitors Center. We had a personal tour with our Senator's staff person and it was amazing. Also had gallery tickets for the Senate gallery during a vote.

- Taking any of the four bus tours boarding at Union Station would also present time problem if stuck in traffic, which can be pretty hectic. We gave up on the second day of a bus tour after waiting 30 minutes for a bus " that would be out front in 5 minutes"

- Union Station itself is quite interesting and has many restaurants and shops within; bookstore, bakery, chocolate, clothing, as well as the inevitable "food court" of fast food places. You could spend your time there with no problem, either eating or browsing shops.

- As said Metra subway is wonderful. We had a week pass and rode it several times daily. If you are used to subways, changing lines, and reading platform signs you'd be fine. If not you could find yourself ging the wrong way oron the wrong line and miss your AMTRAK departure.

-

I have been living in DC since August, and I often just go to Union Station for fun. The architecture is amazing. The station even has a partial mall built into it. If you are feeling venturous, you can travel almost anywhere in the DC Metro area with the metro. They have a trip planner on their website at : wmata.com. However, I would recommend walking- HokieNav's walk looks like it would be perfect.

Hope you enjoy the city!

Library of Congress is a nice quick tour that would be nice for a short layover. Lines are not as bad as other more popular places and it is a short walk from Union Station.

Good riddance if you ask me, that place was a dump

My fiancee works in the CVC, this is a great idea - you can also ask for a "Dome Tour". They're lead by the actual member (not a staffer) and you get to go up into the dome, and outside up near the top. I've never done one, but she's scheduled to go on one for training in the near future and rubs it in my face constantly. :) It's highly unlikely that the Member will actually have time to do it, but it can never hurt to ask.
The dome tour is the best tour you can do in DC. Its something that not many people get to see. I was a Page for Strom Thurmond so taking the trolley back and forth from the Russell building to the Capital became no biggie, but the dome tour sticks out as the most interesting thing I saw while working up there. Its amazing to see the fresco up close and then the outside view of DC is hard to beat. On my tour we didn't have a congressman or senator leading it though, it was just some guy that worked at the Capital. You are right that it is a longshot.

Concur, for sure. It will not be missed.
On my tour we didn't have a congressman or senator leading it though, it was just some guy that worked at the Capital.
Yeah, unfortunately they changed the rules on that recently, so they're even harder to come by.

Library of Congress is a nice quick tour that would be nice for a short layover. Lines are not as bad as other more popular places and it is a short walk from Union Station.

The dome tour is the best tour you can do in DC. Its something that not many people get to see. I was a Page for Strom Thurmond so taking the trolley back and forth from the Russell building to the Capital became no biggie, but the dome tour sticks out as the most interesting thing I saw while working up there. Its amazing to see the fresco up close and then the outside view of DC is hard to beat. On my tour we didn't have a congressman or senator leading it though, it was just some guy that worked at the Capital. You are right that it is a longshot.
When were you a page, I was a House page for Mary Fallin in 2007

A few other suggestions within one or two metro stops from Union Station:

1. National Gallery of Art (Gallery Place/Chinatown metro)

2. Ford Theater (near Gallery Place/Chinatown metro and a short walk)

3. Building Museum (Judiciary Square metro)

I lived in DC for a year a while back. It's a great city for walking. Massachusetts Ave. , North Capitol and a few other streets will give you a a different look at the city.

Mid March to mid April 2001. Thurmond swapped his pages (he had six when I was there and other months there were more) out every month so everybody and their brother got to do it. The nice thing was it was pre-9/11/2001 so security was not insane. I have been to the Capital once since then and its like night and day.

Mid March to mid April 2001. Thurmond swapped his pages (he had six when I was there and other months there were more) out every month so everybody and their brother got to do it. The nice thing was it was pre-9/11/2001 so security was not insane. I have been to the Capital once since then and its like night and day.
Ya it the security stuff was a tad annoying, at least we got to cut the lines lol. I miss working there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back