Washington DC at night in January

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wallyfay

Hi all, my best friend and I are taking the Cardinal to Washington, DC. We'll be arriving on the evening of New Year's Day, and staying three nights, then departing on Wednesday morning. Weather permitting, on that Monday and Tuesday during the day we'll obviously have plenty of (mostly free!) sites to choose from to get out and see (Smithsonian, monuments, Arlington National Cemetery, etc.) But, since most of the museums and etc. are closed by 5pm, we're just looking for some recommendations of what to do in the evening. Neither of us are into bars/clubs or that sort of thing. We'll be staying at the Phoenix Park Hotel, so we'll be close to the Metro at Union Station.

Many years ago I went on a enjoyable nighttime monuments bus tour.Unknown if it still exists.There are still nighttime dinner cruise boats from DC and Alexandria.

That's a good idea, I'd imagine the monuments are beautiful at night.

Also, wasn't aware of the dinner boats, will have to check into that.

We did the "Monuments at Night" tour this past May. The monuments were quite touching at night ... and very crowded! We lucked into a Groupon coupon 2 weeks before we left that was a "buy-one-get-one" ... so we purchased 2 tours from this company ... the daytime (with inside Arlington) hop-on-hop-off and the Monuments at Night tour. They do start and finish at Union Station -- and most of the drivers were very knowledgeable -- would recommend them in a heartbeat! I would sign up for Groupon -- in case they have that offer again.

Last edited by a moderator:
But, since most of the museums and etc. are closed by 5pm, we're just looking for some recommendations of what to do in the evening.
Most of the Smithsonian museum's are open until 5:30 PM. Not that is much of a difference. DC seemingly has a bazillion museums, but they don't stay open in the evening.

As for night time activities, walking the National Mall is good one, although it can be rather chilly after dark in January. If you are not into clubs or bars, there are numerous good restaurants in range of Metro station stops you could try out. Check for music concerts at local venues if you are into that. Or go shopping at Pentagon City Mall, Old Town Alexandria, Georgetown.

You could look into a play or concert at one of the many venues in or near downtown. To name a few off the top of my head: Arena Stage, Kennedy Center, Woolly Mammoth Theatre, Ford's Theatre (where Lincoln was shot), Shakespeare Theatre Company (they do more than The Bard), The Studio Theatre, National Theatre, Warner Theatre...

When does DC metro stop running?
The DC Metro system runs until midnight on Sunday through Thursdays; stays open to 3 AM on Friday and Saturday nights. Hours of operation are on the right side of the WMATA rail webpage.

On weekends, however, DC Metro is doing a lot of track work projects with single tracking or closures of part of a line with bustitutions around the closed section. The maintenance repair backlog is quite long so the weekend slow-downs in service will be going on for years. Visitors to DC on weekends should check the WMATA website to see where the track projects are.

One thing you should be aware of in DC is crime. Just stay with the crowds and don't venture into unknown neighborhoods. If you have to travel across town take a cab, don't try and walk. Only use public transportation during busy periods. Although Dc is no longer characterized as a murder capital, there is still crime that preys on tourists. Here is an excerpt from the crime report on DC.

During the violent crime wave of the early 1990s, Washington, D.C. was known as the murder capital of the United States and often rivaled New Orleans in the number of homicides.[93] The number of murders peaked in 1991 at 479, but the level of violence declined drastically in the 1990s. By 2009, the annual murder count in the city had declined to 143, the lowest number since 1966.[94] In total, reports of violent crimes and property crimes have both declined by half since 1993.[95]

Like most large cities, crime is highest in areas associated with illegal drugs and gangs. A 2010 study found that 5% of city blocks contributed to over one-quarter of the District's total crime.[96] The more affluent neighborhoods of Northwest Washington are typically safe, but reports of violent crime increase in poorer neighborhoods generally concentrated in the eastern portion of the city.[96] Approximately 60,000 residents of Washington, D.C. are ex-convicts.[97]

Many neighborhoods such as Columbia Heights and Logan Circle are becoming safer and vibrant. However, incidents of robberies and thefts have remained higher in these areas due increased nightlife activity and greater numbers of affluent residents.[98] While instances of property crime remain high, reports are still half the level cited during the mid-1990s, and the patterns of theft continue to disperse to the north and east of downtown.[99]

On June 26, 2008, the Supreme Court of the United States held in District of Columbia v. Heller that the city's 1976 handgun ban violated the Second Amendment right to gun ownership.[100] However, the ruling does not prohibit all forms of gun control; laws requiring firearm registration remain in place, as does the city's assault weapon ban.[101]

One thing you should be aware of in DC is crime. Just stay with the crowds and don't venture into unknown neighborhoods.
This. If you must go into DC late at night and walk on foot; stay within the confines of the National Mall, or a few specific other places -- more knowledgeable DCites can fill us in on the other spots.

On the Mall, you might run into homeless people sleeping on the steam grates of the Smithsonian Museums in winter, but generally, the heavy intensive police presense keeps the mall safe.

Stay away from Southeast DC like it's radioactive -- the place is still pretty run down, and crime ridden. That's "drive through in your car with the windows up and doors locked" territory.

The hell it is. Maybe parts of SE on the other side of the Anacostia, but I worked in SE for years, and my sister and severlal friends live in SE right now without issues.

Yes, like any city you need to be aware of your surroundings, and some parts of town that you wouldn't want to be in after dark, but it's nowhere near as bad as the previous two posters make it sound.

DC is on pace for just about 100 murders this year, the VASTmajority of which were between people up to no good, and the lowest since 1963.

The hell it is. Maybe parts of SE on the other side of the Anacostia, but I worked in SE for years, and my sister and severlal friends live in SE right now without issues.

Yes, like any city you need to be aware of your surroundings, and some parts of town that you wouldn't want to be in after dark, but it's nowhere near as bad as the previous two posters make it sound.

DC is on pace for just about 100 murders this year, the VASTmajority of which were between people up to no good, and the lowest since 1963.
EXACTLY. -_- DC is a big city. Like any other big city in the world, I wouldn't walk around with $50 bills hanging out of my pockets. But it ain't that bad. It is not like you need to visit in fear. I'm out and about after dark from time to time, in different neighborhoods of the city, sometimes alone, and have never been bothered.

One thing you should be aware of in DC is crime. Just stay with the crowds and don't venture into unknown neighborhoods. If you have to travel across town take a cab, don't try and walk. Only use public transportation during busy periods. Although Dc is no longer characterized as a murder capital, there is still crime that preys on tourists. Here is an excerpt from the crime report on DC.
This is just fearmongering, IMO. DC, like any other major American city, is perfectly safe for tourists. I personally have walked across town and used the metro late at night. You will be fine. Just be alert and aware of your surroundings.

This is just fearmongering, IMO. DC, like any other major American city, is perfectly safe for tourists. I personally have walked across town and used the metro late at night. You will be fine. Just be alert and aware of your surroundings.
Fearmongering or no, I think people should be aware of the situation in any big city and particularly DC. You can believe all the rosy post above or you can watch your backside when you are out at night. I personally would not be strolling around DC late a night. But its your ass so believe what you want.

Baltimore's a great example of knowing where to go....and not to go. Just a couple of blocks astray from the tourist areas around the harbor are crime-ridden streets.

I think the overall advice about staying with the crowds is fair if you don't know the high-crime areas on a block-by-block basis. Within the Metro rail system itself, I've never felt in any particular danger, but there are stations in parts of SE that I wouldn't wander from late at night.

Speaking of Baltimore, that could be a good evening run from DC. MARC (weekdays only; try the Camden Line) and Amtrak NEC both serve it from WAS. Free bus shuttle or paid light rail to the tourist district to the Amtrak station. Again, stay in popular areas.

Fearmongering or no, I think people should be aware of the situation in any big city and particularly DC. You can believe all the rosy post above or you can watch your backside when you are out at night. I personally would not be strolling around DC late a night. But its your ass so believe what you want.
That's a perfectly valid point, but you don't need to resort to lies and over exaggeration to make it.

An evening MARC round trip would be fun. Up on the Camden Line, dinner in the inner harbor, light rail to Penn Station and the. The Penn Line (or Amtrak) back to DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back