Wash., DC - Seattle, WA round trip (Sept 27-Oct 5, 2010)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a brief post which I hope to find time to supplement, but I'd like to convey my very positive impressions of Amtrak's dining car improvements since my last transcontinental round trip. In 2007, my wife and I traveled from Washington, DC to Seattle via the Capitol Limited, Cal Zephyr, Coast Starlight (outbound) and Empire Builder/Capitol Limited (return). We loved the trip but grew quite weary of the dining car offerings -- the same stuff on every train. In my most recent and very pleasant trip, I was delighted to see that Amtrak has addressed this problem with good results. Ways have been found to vary the offerings so that it's not just the same old menu on every last train, including specials that take advantage of seasonal variation and high-quality specialty items, such as steaks and gourmet sandwiches, provided by third-party vendors. Also improved were the wine selections, with a Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay taking the place of the Meridian we were served three years ago. There was also a truly delicious Merlot, although I neglected to note the name of the vineyard.

Also, for some reason the dining car crews seemed less stressed. In our 2007 trip, they struck me as people who knew they had an impossible job, and despite doing their best the stress was getting to them a bit. I overheard some of them talking about coworkers who had been assigned particularly tough routes and wondering how long they'd last. By the end of the trip, they seemed absolutely exhausted, as if they hadn't had a wink of sleep. In my most recent trip, all of the dining car personnel seemed relaxed, cheerful, and rested. So I wonder if there hasn't been some innovation in staffing and management, too. But another reason for this might be that, on my most recent trip, every train was on time. In 2007, the Cal Zephyr and Coast Starlight were running 5 hours late. I know that's stressful for train crews because they have less time to recuperate before the next job starts.

To me, the joy of traveling Amtrak is meeting the wonderful people who travel on Amtrak, which is most definitely going to happen if you eat in the dining car! I can't think of a single instance in which, upon sitting down, I wasn't greeted with a friendly smile and an introduction. Every meal amounted to an opportunity to meet people from all walks of life (and several countries, too!), but they seemed to have some things in common - they're not in such a rush that they can't enjoy life, they're outgoing and enjoy people, they're eager to feel connected to the landscape around them as they travel... and they have an excellent sense of humor.

--Bryan (Charlottesville, VA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back