Walt Disney World to ORL or KIS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's my understanding that one can catch a taxi or rent a car at Kissemmee. It is the closer of the two stations to Disney, probably only 10 minutes away or so.

Orlando however, is where everyone goes because that where you have the most choices. Amongst those choices are Amtrak's contracted service with Coach USA. This will allow you to buy a ticket direct from Amtrak which you hand to the driver of the Coach USA van. He in turn will drop you off at any Disney hotel, including the Contemporary Resort. If you plan to spend all of your time at Disney, something that isn't hard to do, then the above option is usually the cheapest and the best. I think that the add-on ticket costs about 16 bucks per person, but I haven't checked it lately. I paid 16 two years ago when I did this and it worked quite well.

You of course can still rent a car from Orlando, Hertz will meet the train with a bus and take you to their lot. Travel time from Orlando to Disney is about 25 minutes depending on traffic.

I found this site which offers town car service from Disney to either KIS ($55 one-way) or ORL ($45 one-way). Now me and a freind of mine might take the Silver Metoer one way from KIS or ORL to NYC then BOS. Can you get the Coach USA bus to take you from the hotel to the train station. Also how do I book the bus throuh Amtraks website from the Contemporary to the station (wow I'm beginning to sound like a first time rail traveler :lol: ).

You cannot book the tickets through the website, they can only be done via the 800 number or in person at an Amtrak station. Oddly enough when I did it the service was still new, so the agent could not figure out how to book me a return ticket for the Coach USA van. We were told to just pay the driver in cash and that's exactly what we did. I don’t know if that’s still the policy or if Amtrak has fixed the bug.

When I rode the van I took it both ways, so on the way out the driver gives you the phone number to call to arrange your pickup. You call this number the day before you want to leave and tell them what train you are catching and what hotel you are at. I do know that you can get this phone number from either Amtrak or Coach USA.

You can read a little more about this service from this Amtrak press release.

Thanks, it looks like my next long distance train trip will be in April if all goes well. It will be just me and a friend of mine and we're hoping to get a Deluxe Bedroom on the Meteor. My parents did a number were the said "We'll think about, but we're not saying yes or no". I hope it happens. ;)

Don't wait too long to book if you want a deluxe room, especially if it's during a normal school break week. The deluxes go fast. Plus the sooner you can book the cheaper it will be. Remember that rates go up as the train fills up.

Now me and a freind of mine might take the Silver Metoer one way from KIS or ORL to NYC then BOS.
By the way I forgot to ask, were you planning to hi-jack the Meteor to Boston? :eek: Last I knew it terminated in NYP. :)

Just kidding! :lol:

Sssh. That's just between me and you Alan. :lol: Kidding.

Do you think there will be deluxes avalible at the end of October. If not we'll resort to plan B wich is a Standard room to NYC and the Acela Express to BOS. Also, does Amtrak have a specific age of how old you have to be in order to travel by yourself? I will be 16 in April (no not my birthday that just how old I will be at that time) and my friend is 15.

I'm not positive, but I think anything over 14 is ok.

Anyway, just pretend your 18 and don't tell anyone. :)

I think its over 12 for unrestricted, but you have to pay full fare. Also I'm 14 so technically I could also according to Alan.

Well once your 16 you pay full anyway (but I get 15% off rail fare through student advantage). I'm only worried about my friend who's 15, he'll be paying childs fare. I don't think anyone will care, plus kids/teens fly by themselves all the time. When you call Amtrak do they ask your age? Mabey all just book over the internet or something. I'm still waiting for parents approval on this too. B)

Amfleet,

So if you both get permission, just book your tickets via the net, at least for the sleeper. Book one adult for you and as silly as it might sound, book one child for your friend.

Then if you call Amtrak for the Coach USA side, something that you can still do, don't revel your age. By the way that's something that I know you can do without any penalty. When I went to Disney two years ago, I booked my deluxe room via the net. Then later when I found out about the Coach shuttle's, I called Amtrak on the phone gave them my res # and asked them to add the Coach USA tickets. That's when she had the problem of booking the return on Coach USA, but she was able to do the trip from Orlando to Disney. I then showed up at Penn, forked over the extra 32 bucks to an agent, and received my tickets.

I'm going to have my dad call anyway (he's got the $$$). I don't like booking over the internet because you can't choose rooms. I guess it doesn't matter for Deluxe because there is only 2 rooms, but if I go Standard I either want to be in room 1, 3, or 5.

Amfleet said:
I don't like booking over the internet because you can't choose rooms.
You can always do what I've done on a few occasions. I've booked my trip on the net, cause it's easier and I don't have to give all the info to the agent. Then I turn around and call the 800 number 10 minutes later, give the agent my res #, and ask them what rooms the computer assigned to me. Since the tickets have not yet been cut, I can ask the agent to change my room(s) if I don't like them, without any penalty charges. You only pay a penalty to change things once the tickets have been issued.

The way the Viewliners are oriented on all trains is the vestibule is facing the front of the train. Unlike a Superliner standard bedroomthe beds can only be made facing one way and if you get an even room you sleep backwards wich I don't like. I actually slept better in the deluxe bedroom on the Capitol Limited than I had on any other train before. I think that is in part because you sleep crosswise the car thus not feeling to much of a sway.

Amfleet said:
I guess it doesn't matter for Deluxe because there is only 2 rooms, but if I go Standard I either want to be in room 1, 3, or 5.

Unlike a Superliner standard bedroomthe beds can only be made facing one way and if you get an even room you sleep backwards wich I don't like
Then why not 7, 9, or 11?

Odds are that a deluxe should probably still be available if you book by the end of October, but hey life holds no guarantees. Remember that weekend trains and Friday's will fill up faster than the rest of the week. So if you are traveling Mon-Thurs, you might even still be able to get a deluxe in January. Also remember that Silver Service costs less if you travel on Mon, Tues, or Wed.

Finally, the Amtrak policy does not really state anything about teenagers traveling unaccompanied. The policy only lists the rules for children up to and including the age of 11. You can find that policy here. So based upon that I would say that you are good to go, if you get parental permission.

Like I said before, book yourself as the adult along with the accomodation charge and book your friend as the child. Remember that student advantage is also available to college student's, so booking that discount shouldn't set off alarm bells either. Then just keep your mouth shut, don't attract any attention to yourself, and don't order a beer with dinner so they won't proof you. :lol:

I don't like 7, 9, or 11 because they're closer to the trucks. We'll be leaving on a Friday so I'm going to book as early as possible. And no I won't do anything stupid like order beer in the diner or smoke in the lounge (don't do either of the two anyways). Thanks for the help. B)

Well ok that lets out room 11, but 7 and 9 should still be ok. Remember that you still have the attendant room/shower between 11 & 12 and the trucks. The combination of 11 and the shower is about the same distance as the handicapped room. This would mean that 9 is about the same distance from the trucks as the first deluxe room is.

By the way I prefer the even rooms for two reasons. One, I'd rather sleep with my head pointed in the direction of forward motion. Two, when I'm traveling alone, which is most of the time, I can sit facing forward but still watch a movie if I like. Can't do that with the odd rooms

For me I guess it really doesn't matter which way I sleep I just want to make sure my friend (a first time rail traveller) is comortable. Seeing the video monitor won't matter because there is two of us. :)

Another thing I'm noticing is that it cost more to take the Silver Star than the Silver Meteor. Also it is the same price whether I get on is KIS or ORL and change trains in WAS or NYC to Boston.

I guess because the Silver Star has the longest route, and it depends on whether you'd like a longer Acela (Express/Regional) or Longer Silver Meteor/Star trip. Remember the Silver Meteor doesn't get to DC till 10:39 (if its on time, which in my experience doesn't happen much)

Viewliner, I'll be going northbound so I can either chage trains in WAS at 8am or NYC at 1pm. We'll probably get off in NYC and untalize the sleeper as much as possible. We may also "sneek"out onto the streets of New York if time allows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back