Walking in New York City

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CNW

Service Attendant
I have reservations to stay at the Comfort Inn in Chelsea in a few days. I will arrive at New York Penn at 6:35 PM on a week night. Google maps show the distance to my hotel as being .7 miles and taking 13 minutes to walk. I will have one piece of rolling luggage and will be alone. I have no idea whether it will be safe to walk or best to get a taxi for that short distance. I am wondering if any members would have opinions on this.

If I was in your shoes:

I would walk it if the weather is nice.

If the weather is less than nice I'd take the subway as close as I could and then walk the rest.

If the weather is seriously nasty, get a cab at NYP, though you may have to wait a bit for one.

You should be fine walking between NYP and Chelsea, especially at that time of evening, this time of year.

7 miles in 13 minutes???? Only if you can walk 30 m.p.h.!!! I think you/they meant 7 blocks...

Thank you, yes there is a small decimal point in front of the 7. I usually do the mile in 20 just to be clear!

I would walk. I know where that comfort inn in Chelsea is, its not very far at all. Just make sure your shoes are comfortable for walking. Just like in any city, I always try to walk purposefully and like I know what I am doing/where I am going. I am a 30 year old woman and would feel perfectly safe walking there from Penn Station.

In general if the street has numbers with 2 or less didgets you will be safe walking in New York. Taking alternate transportation for that distance is an affectation.

I'm not sure how you are using the word "affectation". Is it to mean pretentious, unnecessary, or extravagant? It would seem to be a matter of choice. I do like the advice about the two digit street numbers and have decided to walk.

I had the exact same experience in August. Not having visited NYC in 20 years and staying at the Comfort Inn Chelsie. No problem. Seems everyone in NYC is dragging a suitcase. You will not be able to find a cab if the weather is nasty. Felt very safe on that initial visit.

Since then, have travelled on LSL to Penn several times and walked or took the subway to my hotel. Feel safer in NYC than in CLE.

One more observation. I thought I needed to stay close to my....business...in this case where my son was going to school. Incorrect. The public transportion system in NYC is so good, there is no need to necessarily stay near to where you need to be. Since my initial visit, I have found very cheap accomodations in a great neighborhood (W80th and Riverside), but far from my son's school (E23 and Lexington). Subway system gets me from Penn to 79th and Broadway easily and back down to 23rd equally as easily. You'll be okay....

I'm not sure how you are using the word "affectation". Is it to mean pretentious, unnecessary, or extravagant? It would seem to be a matter of choice. I do like the advice about the two digit street numbers and have decided to walk.
It is pretentious, unnecessary, and extravagant. It is, obviously, your choice to be so. Sometimes being pretentious, unnecessary and extravagant can be a great thing (see: Volkswagen Phaeton V10 TDi).

On a trip last year I had no promblem waking from Penn Station to Grand Central and back. Just look like a local and blend in.

Chelsea is generally a safe area. My daughter lived there for three years

after living two years on the upper east side. She liked Chelsea better.

It is a nice walk if the weather is good. Have a nice visit to the BIG APPLE!!

Thanks to everybody for all the good answers and reassurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back