Voucher usage?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elliewen

Train Attendant
I have a $100 paper credit from Amtrak received after a complaint about equipment problems. I tried to redeem this online but it didn't work, so I guess this is not the same as the e-voucher thing they mention on the website.

Does anyone know how I redeem this? The instructions included are very vague. Do I have to go in person to an Amtrak ticket counter? Thanks!!

I have a $100 paper credit from Amtrak received after a complaint about equipment problems. I tried to redeem this online but it didn't work, so I guess this is not the same as the e-voucher thing they mention on the website.

Does anyone know how I redeem this? The instructions included are very vague. Do I have to go in person to an Amtrak ticket counter? Thanks!!
Yes or as others have said, you have to call Customer Relations to book/ use it!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't they also be redeemed by phone? Not everyone lives near a staffed station (or one that is open at reasonable hours).

If it's a paper voucher, it must be redeemed at a staffed ticket counter. If you call Customer Relations, if you don't live near a staffed station they can redeem it by phone. Only an e-voucher can be redeemed online.

What a manual system. Oh well!

Out of curiosity: What is an e-voucher and how does one get one?

If you don't have an Amtrak account, I don't think they can give you an e-voucher.

Sounds like you need to call Amtrak's 800 number and ask how to proceed, elliewin.

Hope you'll post here what they say. I too have a paper voucher and live more than two hours from the nearest station.

That's very strange. They started issuing e-vouchers much more than a year ago and they said they're going to stop issuing paper vouchers.
Customer Relations still only has the option for paper vouchers or an "e-voucher" that's only redeemable if you call them. They're a different type of voucher in Amtrak's system than the standard voucher you get if you cancel your trip.

I cancelled a trip, and I was issued an e-voucher.
Correct. However, the OP seems to have made his trip but then contacted customer relations to complain about issues on the trip, and Amtrak issued a voucher for those. That voucher is different than the one you get when you cancel a trip.

Cancelling a trip gets you an e-voucher you can redeem online.

Completing a trip but getting a voucher as compensation for issues during the trip gets you a travel certificate that can be either mailed to you as a paper voucher and redeemed at a staffed station or kept on file with Customer Relations and redeemed over the phone (but not both.)

I've gotten both recently, and they are different in how they're processed by Amtrak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back