Vintage Amtrak Photos

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahZ

Quality Control
I couldn't find a main thread for "vintage" Amtrak photos, but I stumbled across these and wanted to share.

(All photos by Charles O'Rear)

Empire Builder, somewhere between Chicago and East Glacier, June 1974:

View attachment 1005

Southwest Limited, crossing Central Ave in Albuquerque, June 1974:

amtrak-santafe.jpeg

Dining car in the Southwest Limited, 1974. I like those single tables!

amtrak-dining.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures. I especially like the kid with the pipe and his feet up on the seats.

Great photo's, thanks for posting them....

Those "single tables" in the ex Santa Fe 36 seat diner's are actually tables for two..... :)

Those "single tables" in the ex Santa Fe 36 seat diner's are actually tables for two..... :)
Oh, that's what I meant. "Private" table would have been a better word for it. :) It would be nice to sit with Brent and enjoy eating in the dining car without feeling pressured to make small talk.

Oh, that's what I meant. "Private" table would have been a better word for it. :) It would be nice to sit with Brent and enjoy eating in the dining car without feeling pressured to make small talk.
I have the feeling your conversations are much more substantial than "small talk"!

I have the feeling your conversations are much more substantial than "small talk"!
Honestly, no. Unless we're sitting with other railfans, I blush and falter my way through conversation, all the while wishing I could just eat in silence. :blush:

Charles O'Rear's photos (the first set) were taken as part of the EPA's DOCUMERICA project in the 1970s. The National Archives has a full set of those photos here; it's a pretty amazing documentation of Amtrak's early years. The Amtrak photos start around page three. Rainbow consists!

7158466230_7290a9be31_b.jpg

Those are great! I love seeing the old Coach setup. :)

Playing BINGO in the lounge would have been fun!

Outstanding and Nostalgic!

Specialty noteworthy are the St.Louis and Tacoma Stations and the Dome Cars and the Daylight scenes on the Hi-Line!

Notice the staff passing out refreshments and the on-board Service Reps and the Fireman/Brakeman in the Engine with Engineer! All long gone and missed!

Great photo's! Sure brings back fond memories of times long gone by....

Loved the views of the old uniform's, especially....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back