Viewliner vs. Superliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is obviously a matter of opinion and not the common one either.
I think they are both great.
smile.gif
I just want to be on the one that's going somewhere. Hey I just love trains and riding them. What can I say. With my upcoming vacation in May I will be riding all three. To include California Amtrak.
wink.gif
Yes, agree. I'd rather be on a train. Any train.

My favorite sleeping car in the '70s was the slumbercoach! I wish they still existed. Bare-bones comfort but affordable.

First off, the Lake Shore Limited is probably a more expensive train to take. If you leave from DC, you will have to take regional to NYP and then wait for the LSL.... seems like a waste of time and added expense.
I think he probably made his decision 11.1232877 years ago when this thread was started.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope one day we can have one car that Amtrak can use on LD trains coast to coast. Right now the Viewliners are old and running out of use. The last few years a couple of trains (Three Rivers, Silver Palm) on the East Coast died and now the lack of diners is causing several LD trains to go diner-less or no diner at all (SS). Once the Viewliner II's are fully implemented the problems will hopefully be solved. But one day Superliners will have to be retired (or maybe the Viewliner II's do) and train travel will suffer on one half of the US while the other half will go unscathed. Having one train that can be used coast to coast will allow for more flexibility.

I know I enjoy being on the top level than the bottom level and prefer Superliners. I would love to ride them on the East Coast other than the CL. Also, I am guessing but may be wrong that a single Superliner coach has more seating capacity than a Viewliner coach. That might explain why the Western routes often have higher ridership than the East Coast. Imagine if the LSL or SM could use Superliners. How many more seats could they sell?

We all know Superliners can't go to NYP and I believe BAL is out (northbound and/or southbound)? Are there other areas where Superliners can't go? Are there any areas that require Superliners only? You can't do a Superliner from LAX-NYP but how about a Viewliner (assuming one day Amtrak has more than they know what to do with)?

We prefer the Superliner lounge cars and bathroom set-up.

For sleeping in roomettes, we prefer the Viewliners.

I hope one day we can have one car that Amtrak can use on LD trains coast to coast. Right now the Viewliners are old and running out of use. The last few years a couple of trains (Three Rivers, Silver Palm) on the East Coast died and now the lack of diners is causing several LD trains to go diner-less or no diner at all (SS). Once the Viewliner II's are fully implemented the problems will hopefully be solved. But one day Superliners will have to be retired (or maybe the Viewliner II's do) and train travel will suffer on one half of the US while the other half will go unscathed. Having one train that can be used coast to coast will allow for more flexibility.

I know I enjoy being on the top level than the bottom level and prefer Superliners. I would love to ride them on the East Coast other than the CL. Also, I am guessing but may be wrong that a single Superliner coach has more seating capacity than a Viewliner coach. That might explain why the Western routes often have higher ridership than the East Coast. Imagine if the LSL or SM could use Superliners. How many more seats could they sell?

We all know Superliners can't go to NYP and I believe BAL is out (northbound and/or southbound)? Are there other areas where Superliners can't go? Are there any areas that require Superliners only? You can't do a Superliner from LAX-NYP but how about a Viewliner (assuming one day Amtrak has more than they know what to do with)?
A Superliner replacement which can be used anywhere is largely a solution in search of a problem. We already have a proven design which can be used anywhere; They're called low-level cars (Heritage, Amfleet, Viewliner, etc.). We also already have a bi-level concept which offers greater capacity. No car with low level boarding can really be used anywhere in the Norttheast Corridor as they require low platforms (Washington retains some); Superliners aren't prohibited just because of tunnel and other clearance issues. Talgo sets would also be unworkable. A bi-level car which could be used anywhere (Ie., use high or low platforms) would pay a very high price in terms of capacity, design, and passenger comfort and convenience.

You are perhaps familiar with the saying that "one size fits all" really means "one size fits none"? Multiple car fleets seem to offer sufficient flexibility. Certainly an all single-level passenger car roster could be used anywhere, but not all trains have the same requirements (you need high-speed equipment in the Northeast, but not on the California Zephyr, for instance).

A Superliner replacement which can be used anywhere is largely a solution in search of a problem. We already have a proven design which can be used anywhere; They're called low-level cars (Heritage, Amfleet, Viewliner, etc.). We also already have a bi-level concept which offers greater capacity. No car with low level boarding can really be used anywhere in the Norttheast Corridor as they require low platforms (Washington retains some); Superliners aren't prohibited just because of tunnel and other clearance issues. Talgo sets would also be unworkable. A bi-level car which could be used anywhere (Ie., use high or low platforms) would pay a very high price in terms of capacity, design, and passenger comfort and convenience.

You are perhaps familiar with the saying that "one size fits all" really means "one size fits none"? Multiple car fleets seem to offer sufficient flexibility. Certainly an all single-level passenger car roster could be used anywhere, but not all trains have the same requirements (you need high-speed equipment in the Northeast, but not on the California Zephyr, for instance).
I see no reason a train car with both levels of boarding is not possible. A standard commuter rail design could be used with mid level passage. The design would need to be adjusted to have one high level door at an end of the car and a low level door in the middle. Seats would also have to be spread further apart to LD specifications. I do not believe that these adjustments would be complicated or expensive. This design would not only be usable anywhere in the system, but also provide level boarding at any station. If the design would not work for certain types of cars such as sleepers (may not be enough headroom for bunk beds), standard single levels cars could be attached as the new cars would have mid level passage. This is done frequently between different coach designs on MARC and MBTA commuter trains.

Of course, a car with even five different level boarding levels with ADA elevators connecting all, is possible, but there will be no passenger space in it. It will just be boarding vestibules and elevators :p . Maybe we should just have a Boarding Car :D

A Superliner replacement which can be used anywhere is largely a solution in search of a problem.
This, a thousand times over.

I see no reason a train car with both levels of boarding is not possible.
Nobody is saying it's impossible. Obviously, cars with those features exist today. It's just a waste of time and money for Amtrak that has no need whatsoever for a singe car design that can roam the entire system and introduces design limitations that make the cars worse for long distance use.

Back